Amtrak moving forward to stop all, most LDT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the point but you can also look at LD trains as a combination of intercity routes. Only a small percentage of riders go end to end but it might take three of four corridor routes to service the same cities/towns as one LD train.  It is obviously true that LD train passengers amount to a small percentage overall travelers but every time we have traveled, those trains were sold out or nearly so. The LD trains will never see the same amount of ridership as the corridor routes around the major cities. Those routes run a train every hour or sooner. I believe that a fairer assessment of the value of the LD trains is a measure of capacity. vs percentage of ridership. 
Exactly! Every time I’ve taken an LD train, it’s been at least mostly full. And I’ve been on plenty of corridor trains which ran pretty empty. They should look at how sold out a given service tends to be, and figure out desirability from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
For corridor trains it is actually counterproductive to cancel random trains because they run in light hours. Experience shows that a clockface service tends to enhance overall ridership even though an individual train or two is lightly used. Usage should be measured on a per route basis rather than per train basis. As it is a lot ot suburban service in the US (both rail and bus) is barely usable. Let us not make it worse.

I don't see anything from your quote that says they're not.
Anderson’s argument in that paragraph is that the vast majority of riders take short distance routes. While true, that point really doesn’t really mean anything if you think about the fact that the vast majority of trains are short distance. So even if Anderson is also looking at how sold out the different services tend to be, by omiting that point here, it doesn’t make much difference.

I'm still very interested to see where things end up going. Will Congress finally let happen what the GOP has spend the last 50 years gunning for which is killing long distance trains or will they pony up the money to keep them going while Amtrak tries to use its meager resources to start services that might actually drive ridership up? Its about time someone called their bluff. As much as the prospect of seeing a mass dismantling or downsizing of long distance service is, if Anderson and rail advocates can play Trump and a Democrat House can play this right, we might get a better more useful Amtrak out of this. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15zMIBJGaFhQolqEcvqSdaguz_CMra1R8/view

Saw this on another rail forum. Gives insight to Amtrak's procurement and operating plans. 
If you study the link closely you will note there is not any reference to replacing Amfleet-2s which have 40%+ more mileages that -1s.  If that doesn't say something what does?  Another point is that the last available of figures has ~ 40% of total passenger miles are on LD trains.  Why does Anderson and Amtrak ignore that figure?

If you study the link closely you will note there is not any reference to replacing Amfleet-2s which have 40%+ more mileages that -1s.  If that doesn't say something what does?
And if you had read Anderson’s testimony, also linked in this thread, you would have found that he addressed Amfleet 2 replacement. Depending on what route they choose to go with the Amfleet 1 replacement order, the long distance single level procurement will either happen as part of the upcoming order, or shortly after. 

For corridor trains it is actually counterproductive to cancel random trains because they run in light hours. Experience shows that a clockface service tends to enhance overall ridership even though an individual train or two is lightly used. Usage should be measured on a per route basis rather than per train basis. As it is a lot ot suburban service in the US (both rail and bus) is barely usable. Let us not make it worse.
Agree with the first part of your statement but not sure if measuring per route rather than per train would present a positive picture of the LD routes. . On a LD service like the EB , CZ or SWC you only have four train sets running on each route. Even if all the trains are filled to capacity, the usage per route will be light   As for corridors that run many more trains; judging by route load may present a more positive picture. 

American LD routes are not corridor routes in the usual use of the term. So trying to apply what makes sense for corridor trains to LD trains would be foolish to say the least.

A corridor is where you have significant multiple frequencies per day where the notion of clockface operation makes any sense at all. No point in worrying about clock face scheduling when you have a single service in each direction through any station per day.

I don't think that the number of consists necessary to maintain a service is of relevance in ridership discussions. You decide on a schedule and then use however many consists are need. So CZ has daily single frequency at any point on its route. It is a detail that it needs 6 consists to maintain such.

Richard Anderson's Testimony to Congress, from Noel T. Braymer:

https://ntbraymer.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/anderson-testimony.pdf

Quote in the section "Multilevel Fleet" ...

". As a result of the age profile of Amtrak and California’s multilevel fleets, a “sweet spot” appears between FY2026 and FY2031 for an optimally timed multilevel railcar replacement acquisition to standardize, modernize, and expand equipment on current multilevel routes. Such a procurement process would need to be begun early in the next decade and a key topic for the next Federal reauthorization of Amtrak is the future of the Long Distance routes that use this equipment. Congress will need to make decisions about the long-term prospects of these routes and provide sufficient associated funding levels so that Amtrak can procure appropriate types and quantities of this custom rolling stock."

This is where the Wall Street Journal leads to the idea of "corridor vs. LD". Can we have both? Sure, but I'll bet it will cost a lot more than $1.9B a year.

Yep.  That is the key sentence I pulled out from that testimony back on page 1.

Bottom line is that nobody here disagrees that the current situation is sustainable in the long run.  Amtrak's position going back to Boardman (as he told me this personally when I met him) is that if Congress wants the LD routes to continue, they are going to have to provide the funding for it.

As time goes by and the situation becomes more dire with respect to equipment, the message has been put to Congress louder and louder.  Capitol Hill is where this battle is going to be won or lost.  Anderson will just continue to do what he's told (and funded) to do.

Too often on this issue things become black and white and people (at least seemingly) are tempted to jump into one of two camps. With one vision being that Amtrak’s long distance model shouldn’t be touched or modified at all ever or the opposite view that we should immediately cancel all 15 long distance routes and do corridors only.

My biggest problems with Anderson have not necessarily been his views but by the way he has done things. The job of the board and CEO of Amtrak, in my opinion, is to execute the company’s mission - congress sets the mission not the board and management. When it comes to reauthorization though he SHOULD present his vision of his ideal Amtrak and the debate should be had in congress. Reauth IS the time to explore and debate these things. My problem with him is that he has tried to manipulate that and force changes to the mission by doing things like trying to force the SWC bus bridge. In fact some of these actions may hurt his case as congress may be less receptive to any ideas he may have as a result.

But again I think there’s a middle ground here. I don’t think all 15 long distance routes should be just written off and cancelled. But could some changes make sense to make the future Amtrak more modern and efficient? Absolutely. Corridors are the future growth and are where Amtrak will grow ridership in the future. I do think the national network in some form is important, but it DOES make sense for the reauth process to analyze and go through each long distance route and evaluate it and see what if any changes could make sense and come up with a financial plan for each train to try to see what improvements can be made. Take each route and say - could a different service model for this route make sense? What changes could we make while still trying to provide meaningful service to as many of the stations as we can? I think one would probably conclude that some of the LD routes make sense to maintain in their current form, some make sense to make some changes like maybe break them up in the center or something along those lines, and maybe a couple of the routes don’t make sense anymore. But I don’t think it needs to be black or white - all corridors or all long distance - I think it can be (and will) some corridors and some long distance.

T? I think one would probably conclude that some of the LD routes make sense to maintain in their current form, some make sense to make some changes like maybe break them up in the center or something along those lines, and maybe a couple of the routes don’t make sense anymore. But I don’t think it needs to be black or white - all corridors or all long distance - I think it can be (and will) some corridors and some long distance. 
The LD network can be utilized to feed the corridors or supplement the corridors or vice versa. There is a reason why ridership on the Pigeon increased between certain city pairs when they added another train to the route.  If you bring back the Broadway Limited or some sort of replacement, you'll see the numbers to PGH rise since you've added additional service, with a favorable pattern. The LSL and the Silver Service all benefit from having additional trains. If you can improve OTP, another MSP-CHI train would certainly help the Empire Builder.  There is talk of restoring service to Mobile. That's nice but why not add it to the Crescent, and give yourself more capacity between NYP-ATL? After all, that was one of the benefits of the Gulf Breeze.

If they funded and utilized the LD network instead of starving it and more importantly, stopped robbing the equipment from it, you could justify its existence and work hand in hand with additional service..

American LD routes are not corridor routes in the usual use of the term. So trying to apply what makes sense for corridor trains to LD trains would be foolish to say the least.

A corridor is where you have significant multiple frequencies per day where the notion of clockface operation makes any sense at all. No point in worrying about clock face scheduling when you have a single service in each direction through any station per day.
As JIs explains, not all LD trains have dining cars and sleepers.  Vermonter, Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto are examples of long distance trains, that aren't quite corridor trains as they only have one frequency.  Yet,they don't seem to incur the wrath of the LD trains, although two are state supported.

The trains should work together.

As JIs explains, not all LD trains have dining cars and sleepers.  Vermonter, Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto are examples of long distance trains, that aren't quite corridor trains as they only have one frequency.  Yet,they don't seem to incur the wrath of the LD trains, although two are state supported.
The trains should work together.
Couldn’t agree more. Whatever is decided, fund the routes properly, and equip them properly. Do what needs to be done about the host freight railroads to address OTP. Look at everything including reevaluating the question of whether the current rate they are being paid by Amtrak is fair and if that should be re-examined (and if that may entice them to be a better host to Amtrak trains) along with enforcing the laws regarding priority and holding them accountable when they aren’t following through on their obligations. Again, what makes anyone think that these hosts are going to play any better with a corridor service than a daily train? If we can’t address the OTP problem with the once daily trains we are running now I don’t see how we add corridors with reasonable OTP in some of these areas.

Too often on this issue things become black and white and people (at least seemingly) are tempted to jump into one of two camps. With one vision being that Amtrak’s long distance model shouldn’t be touched or modified at all ever or the opposite view that we should immediately cancel all 15 long distance routes and do corridors only.

My biggest problems with Anderson have not necessarily been his views but by the way he has done things. The job of the board and CEO of Amtrak, in my opinion, is to execute the company’s mission - congress sets the mission not the board and management. When it comes to reauthorization though he SHOULD present his vision of his ideal Amtrak and the debate should be had in congress. Reauth IS the time to explore and debate these things. My problem with him is that he has tried to manipulate that and force changes to the mission by doing things like trying to force the SWC bus bridge. In fact some of these actions may hurt his case as congress may be less receptive to any ideas he may have as a result.

But again I think there’s a middle ground here. I don’t think all 15 long distance routes should be just written off and cancelled. But could some changes make sense to make the future Amtrak more modern and efficient? Absolutely. Corridors are the future growth and are where Amtrak will grow ridership in the future. I do think the national network in some form is important, but it DOES make sense for the reauth process to analyze and go through each long distance route and evaluate it and see what if any changes could make sense and come up with a financial plan for each train to try to see what improvements can be made. Take each route and say - could a different service model for this route make sense? What changes could we make while still trying to provide meaningful service to as many of the stations as we can? I think one would probably conclude that some of the LD routes make sense to maintain in their current form, some make sense to make some changes like maybe break them up in the center or something along those lines, and maybe a couple of the routes don’t make sense anymore. But I don’t think it needs to be black or white - all corridors or all long distance - I think it can be (and will) some corridors and some long distance.
Very well said!

I do think the national network in some form is important, but it DOES make sense for the reauth process to analyze and go through each long distance route and evaluate it and see what if any changes could make sense and come up with a financial plan for each train to try to see what improvements can be made. Take each route and say - could a different service model for this route make sense? What changes could we make while still trying to provide meaningful service to as many of the stations as we can? 
Agreed. As a first step, let's dust off the Product Improvement Plan docs from, what was it, 2010, and see what suggestions still make sense.

And may be time to let the past go. If the statistics are right and few patrons take a LD train from end to end, than breaking it up into corridors do make sense.

"But, but, the train names, history, the memories when I rode them as a child........" Let them go. If chopping the CZ up into corridors will increase ridership then so be it. One can still cross the country via train, may just take a little longer. But if statistics are right, not enough of you are cross country it by train anyways.

Lots of good ideas, comments and opinions made on this thread and I enjoyed reading them but one point is not mentioned.  The reality is Amtrak owns little of its own track.  if Anderson is serious about pushing corridor routes, he needs to explain to all of us how Amtrak will convince the freight railroads to allow the expansion of  passenger traffic.

And may be time to let the past go. If the statistics are right and few patrons take a LD train from end to end, than breaking it up into corridors do make sense.

"But, but, the train names, history, the memories when I rode them as a child........" Let them go. If chopping the CZ up into corridors will increase ridership then so be it. One can still cross the country via train, may just take a little longer. But if statistics are right, not enough of you are cross country it by train anyways.
What is the end to end percentage of the NEC trains? What is the end to end ridership of the NEC/State Supported trains, the busiest corridor? In other words, how many people are riding the entire route from BOS-RNK?  BOS-NPN? WAS-SPG?  What is the end to end ridership percentage of the Vermonter?

My point is, that figure is misleading. The trains move from point to point. The people? Not so much. Using the aforementioned trains, a lot of them are broken into a sections. The RNK-WAS section is quite busy, but a lot of it turns over in WAS. At that point, the WAS-NYP travel fills the train. At NYP, there is another high turnover but the train is then filled with NYP-BOS travel. If you went end point to end point (as PhillyRailfan did and I corrected him,)you could probably make the same argument that this train doesn't need to run as one train.

The entire picture must be regarded and that includes the expense, operating rules and associated regulations regarding the operation and expense of running one train or multiple trains.

What is the end to end percentage of the NEC trains? What is the end to end ridership of the NEC/State Supported trains, the busiest corridor? In other words, how many people are riding the entire route from BOS-RNK?  BOS-NPN? WAS-SPG?  What is the end to end ridership percentage of the Vermonter?

My point is, that figure is misleading. The trains move from point to point. The people? Not so much. Using the aforementioned trains, a lot of them are broken into a sections. The RNK-WAS section is quite busy, but a lot of it turns over in WAS. At that point, the WAS-NYP travel fills the train. At NYP, there is another high turnover but the train is then filled with NYP-BOS travel. If you went end point to end point (as PhillyRailfan did and I corrected him, you could probably make the same argument that this train doesn't need to run as one train.

The entire picture must be regarded and that includes the expense, operating rules and associated regulations regarding the operation and expense of running one train or multiple trains.
An additional consideration: How many riders (who might or might not need to ride end-to-end on any train) already need to transfer from one LD train to another to get from their point A to point B? If those routes are broken up into multiple trains, how many riders will be lost because too many transfers will be needed, with waits at each transfer point and connectivity dependent on currently-not-reliable OTP? 

Amtrak is supposed to be a NATIONAL network, not just a collection of city pairs that urban-based bureaucrats see as having the greatest value.

The proposed corridors don't connect across the country.

Anderson’s argument in that paragraph is that the vast majority of riders take short distance routes. While true, that point really doesn’t really mean anything if you think about the fact that the vast majority of trains are short distance. So even if Anderson is also looking at how sold out the different services tend to be, by omiting that point here, it doesn’t make much difference.
Lets not forget that sleepers tend to be the most sold out and the reduction of space is adding a lot of mis information about how many people use the long distance service. In the old days a train like the Empire Builder carried 5 sleepers and a first class lounge and dinner year round.  Toward the end however they claimed the sleepers were sold out so they could then complain no one was riding them. That  made it appear that people didn't want the service.  I rode it the last month when the notices were posted in the sleepers that in 30 days they would turn the passenger service over to the government. That train consist was nearly empty in the sleepers and yet when we tried to book one from Vancouver they said they were sold out. An officer of the Great Northern was also a passenger and his wife told us they tired to get a reservation at the 30 day time period they were accepting them, and were told there was no space available.  

Furthermore, a clockface timetable leads to an eficient utilization of rolling stock and personell.

Typically, the infrastructure gets designed around the timetable because if the line is single track, crossings will always be in the same place and thus there will be sidings in those locations for that purpose.

If you don't have a clockface but instead have a stochastic timetable, you end up having more complex infrastructure including crossing sidings that get used maybe just once per day. 

Cancelling a single service in a clockface environment leads to an imbalance with trains and staff being in the wrong place, which needs to be compensated by further assymetries. Therefore once you decide to go for a clockface arrangement, it soon becomes advantageous to go with it rigidly and to avoid exceptions. This dovetails quite neatly with the passenger perspective where a clockface timetable is just easier to use and more predicatble for the passenger.

Problems with low ridership on midday services, for example, can be mitigated by a fares system that encourages off-peak travel choices.

A removal of the ability to take one train, with its needed diner and sleeper is at the heart of rail passenger service. It had been mostly in America where the railroads and now Amtrak has decided that isn't the case. Amtrak was formed to make sure the a system of city to city or cross country routes were not removed from public use.  To accept that they are not needed is a real blow to passenger rail service.  I wouldn't even consider a train where there were no diner or sleepers and you had to change trains three times to get where you trying to go. Its ridiculous at best. Look around at other nations. The premiere long distance routes are still being served by up to date and well taken care of equipment.  With the growing amount of younger people interested in rail as a choice should be encouraging us to provide more points which can be easily reached not making the trips near impossible. 

My question in all of this is what happens if Amtrak is allowed to go through with expanding corridor service and Congress actually puts up the money to keep the long distance trains going? As much as the GOP tries to ruin Amtrak they always come up with some way to keep it going despite saying they want to privatize it full well knowing no one wants it. Considering the GOP base tends to be older, killing Amtrak seems to up their with killing Social Security. I could see and would hope Amtrak will someday pursue overnight service similar to what is done in Europe. There are decent sized city pairs along just the California Zephyr that are not that well served by it. An secondary overnight train could be worthwhile. Call me an optimist,  but anything that breaks the status quo within Amtrak and Congress's attitude toward it is a good thing. Cause right now Amtrak is doing ok for itself, but being allowed to die on the vine. 

Back