Amtrak may expand Autotrain beyond East Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a related topic, I am curious about Autotrain 'competitors'. Does anyone know anything about services such as Auto-Bus or Hampton Jitney's service, where they transport your vehicle in car carrying trucks, and take you in their buses?

The reason I ask, is perhaps there are similar services in other parts of the country such as Chicagoland to the south or southwest, or Seattle to San Diego, etc. If there is a demand for these, than perhaps a marketing survey can determine if Amtrak should pursue an Autotrain in those markets? Just an idea....

In a related topic, I am curious about Autotrain 'competitors'. Does anyone know anything about services such as Auto-Bus or Hampton Jitney's service, where they transport your vehicle in car carrying trucks, and take you in their buses?The reason I ask, is perhaps there are similar services in other parts of the country such as Chicagoland to the south or southwest, or Seattle to San Diego, etc. If there is a demand for these, than perhaps a marketing survey can determine if Amtrak should pursue an Autotrain in those markets? Just an idea....
Agree, those type of services are available in almost any market, with many competitors. Heck even a Google search of AT usually pops up a few of these transporters.

But there is something VASTLY different about packing your car, having it picked up at your house, and then driving to the airport to hop a plane to your destination, than just driving to the train station WITH your car. False sense of security? I dunno.

I think Auto trains will work great almost everywhere. The current Autotrain in my opinion is even too short route because most people can drive it in 1-2 days. BOS/NYP-FL or CHI-FL, CHI-LAX would work better, because they are really long distances and people will prefer to take train with their cars than to drive 3-4 days.

I see often cars from California in Florida. I can't believe people drive here 4-5 days!!!

In a related topic, I am curious about Autotrain 'competitors'. Does anyone know anything about services such as Auto-Bus or Hampton Jitney's service, where they transport your vehicle in car carrying trucks, and take you in their buses?The reason I ask, is perhaps there are similar services in other parts of the country such as Chicagoland to the south or southwest, or Seattle to San Diego, etc. If there is a demand for these, than perhaps a marketing survey can determine if Amtrak should pursue an Autotrain in those markets? Just an idea....

On those services you sit on a bus for the entire trip whereas the train offers, rooms, roomettes, diners, lounge cars, showers and the like. Even coach on a train is FAR more comfortable that riding on a neauseating bus for 2 days. There is no comparison.

Auto Train is either an example of proof that Amtrak can do better than a private company, or proof of the sheer incompetence of Tom Rader. Or both.
I hate to say this, but I agree wholeheartedly with you. I highly doubt that another Auto Train route will materialize, though.

I think Auto trains will work great almost everywhere.
If the Auto Train concept was sound enough to "work great almost anywhere" or even on half of the currently established long-distance Amtrak routes, you'd see more Auto Train routes already. Could they work as well as you suggest, lack of capital wouldn't stop all but one of them.

The current Autotrain in my opinion is even too short route because most people can drive it in 1-2 days.
All of the people who pay to ride the current Auto Train respectfully disagree.

BOS/NYP-FL or CHI-FL, CHI-LAX would work better, because they are really long distances and people will prefer to take train with their cars than to drive 3-4 days.I see often cars from California in Florida. I can't believe people drive here 4-5 days!!!
Not everybody driving such distances can afford to take Amtrak. If there are four people in a car, gas is cheaper than roomettes and car space on a train. (Without an actual bed, the lure of Auto Train isn't there, thus multiple-night pax aren't likely to go for coach seating.) I also doubt that much of anything would "work better" than the current AT, given that it's fairly successful.

On those services you sit on a bus for the entire trip whereas the train offers, rooms, roomettes, diners, lounge cars, showers and the like. Even coach on a train is FAR more comfortable that riding on a neauseating bus for 2 days. There is no comparison.
The auto/bus carriers make an overnight stop at a hotel halfway, where you can sleep in a comfortable bed with no motion, and eat dinner and breakfast at a restaurant. These are included in the fare. And they take you all the way from NYC to South Florida, so you do a minimum of driving to/from their terminals.

The auto/bus carriers make an overnight stop at a hotel halfway, where you can sleep in a comfortable bed with no motion, and eat dinner and breakfast at a restaurant. These are included in the fare. And they take you all the way from NYC to South Florida, so you do a minimum of driving to/from their terminals.
OK I didn't realize that they stopped to give everyone an overnight at a hotel. Buses are still my least favorite form of transportation and they're subject to getting stuck in traffic jams, and there isn't much room onbaord to move around. While those passengers are stuck in their seat, I'll be in the lounge car enjoying a drink, in the observation car enjoying the scenery or in my room, resting on the sofa or watching a movie on my laptop. I guess that there are advantages to both but all things considered I believe that the train holds the comfort advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back