amtrak may be rounding the bend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one quote that I hadn't seen before, but one that needs to be shouted around this country in every newspaper:

"The cost of cross-country trains comes to about a dollar and a half per American per year," he told The New York Times shortly after his appointment last September. "I haven't had the opportunity to go to Glacier National Park since 1976, but I pay taxes every year in the hope that I have the option to go back."

Great find by the way Yarrow, very nice article. :)

Great story and great find. However, not to rain on the parade we still have to worry aboud making a connection in Chigago from west bound trains from the east. CL & LSL. I know its been a little better lately and weather is a problem. I would still like to see something done about the frieght roads holding up Amtrak. I also know its all about the money. I am sure more people would a least think about going by train if the otp was better. I tell many people about our train trips. I always have to add that you must be someone special to ride trains.How can you successfully market a train thats never on time. Thanks for reading. I just have to vent once in a while. <_<

Thanks for the very interesting article Yarrow!

I have told friends about my train travel adventures (three LD trips, which is probably far fewer than most of y'all) and nearly always hear "yeah - I have always wanted to take a long distance train trip...." in response. It seems like folks are uncertain about train travel because its somewhat foreign to them and they associate train travel with commuter-type trips up and down the NEC. Like AKA, I always add that folks need to be prepared for travel delays, sometimes significant delays, when traveling by train. Expect the unexpected, but at the same time enjoy the journey!

Deimos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back