Amtrak Market Researching New Sleeper Offerings?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Caught this blog this evening. Well worth a full read, and it includes some very interesting graphics that detail adjustments to sleeper offerings. The boiled down summary is that they're looking into the possibility of selling five kinds of sleeper reservations on a single train: Roommette with SDS meals, Roommete with legacy full service meals (a la Empire Builder/Auto Train), Deluxe Bedroom with SDS meals, Deluxe Bedroom with full service meals, and a "Luxury Suite" which completely blindsided me with what appears to be old graphics from the American Orient Express before it changed names/brochures. The last bit seems to suggest that Amtrak, in that case, would either seriously refurbish existing cars, or just buy new ones.

Again, it's just market research, but it's quite interesting:

Click Here

-Rafi

It will never work - to many complications unless they trully lock the doors between classes.

It will never work - to many complications unless they trully lock the doors between classes.
I agree, this would be very complicated. Why don't they just go to the Empire Builder example, from what I understand it is fairly successful.

This train would have 5 service cars

1 dinner lite car for coach/basic sleeper

1 "enhanced" lounge car

1 "enhanced" dining car

1 "luxury" lounge car

1 "luxury" dining car

Seems excessive.

It's unlikely that they'd offer all of these services simultaneously. The surveyors are just trying to give the gamut of possibilities to see what people want.

Interesting, but where do the cars come from? It is my impression the LD trains west of Chicago basically operate on a sold out basis now and can't be expanded for lack of additional equipment.

Folks, this is market research.

Someone (most likely Amtrak, but perhaps someone else) is trying to determine what sort of accommodations should be built into the next generation of LD cars.

This does not, repeat not, necessarily mean we will see all these types of accommodations!

Folks, this is market research.
Someone (most likely Amtrak, but perhaps someone else) is trying to determine what sort of accommodations should be built into the next generation of LD cars.

This does not, repeat not, necessarily mean we will see all these types of accommodations!

I received a survey from GranLuxe Raliways (Formerly Known as American Orient). It was a survey regarding end of year Winter trips on their train on the SWC, and CZ routes. Basically it would be their train consist behind an AMTRAK consist for the trips. I they were wanting to know if I would be interested in such a trip. SO I believe they are trying to tie in their service with AMTRAK either as a cost cutting move or to helkp each other out financially. The only downside I see to this is that I would not like to see their service watered down like AMTRAK services are during the trip. And I can only imagine that this would be a very large train !

Stacie

And I can only imagine that this would be a very large train !
Stacie
Yeah, I think I read once that Grand Luxe consists are 16 cars or so. Add an Amtrak LD consist to that, and it could be a long walk to the diner or lounge.

And again, I know this is market research, but I don't see the SDS option working out. "Would you like this same meal cooked in a convection oven or a regular oven?" They did so much to make SDS look like regular diner food, this is a step in the opposite direction.

Well . . . On the CZ route the UP would definitely find a siding to put the whole thing on while it ran 3 or for freights by on the main line. So those people paying big bucks wouldd get more time on the train for their money. LOL :D

Perhaps Grand Luxe is considering a "light" version of their train behind an amtrak consit. For instance rather than the usual 16 car train, they would carry 1 diner, 1 lounge, and 2-4 sleepers.

In case anyone doesnt realize this, All Grande Luxe trains are operated as Amtrak charters, with Amtrak locomotives and operating crew. I think it could be a great idea for Grande Luxe and Amtrak to work together.

I was called to complete the survey based on a CZ trip I took in Aug 06 from Omaha to Chicago. It's a relatively short "daylight trip", but I got a roomette anyway to keep my wife happy. She isn't very interested in train travel. My survey questions were tailored specifically for a Omaha to Chicago trip. I would have answered them differently for a longer trip, when a sleeper is more practical/useful.

Here is one of the questions asked about a future Omaha to Chicago trip on the CZ:

First, please consider the situation where the Basic Roomette fare was $172.60,

the Enhanced Roomette fare was $192.27,

the Enhanced Bedroom fare was $314.70,

and the Luxury Bedroom fare was $702.15.

Under those conditions, do you think you... would have traveled by Basic Roomette Class

would have traveled by Enhanced Roomette Class

would have traveled by Enhanced Bedroom Class

would have traveled by Luxury Bedroom Class

would NOT have taken Amtrak at all

Don't know/Not sure

Prefer not to answer

Basic Roomette=standard roomette, no meals included can eat in cafe/lounge car, attendant only for disabled/elderly

Enhannced Roomette= standard roomette with premium linens, Meals included in separate dining car with signature entrees on china-like dinnerware, in-room meal service by request, separate lounge car, welcome aboard reception with afternoon wine and cheese tasting, bedtime sweet and non-alcoholic nightcap, complimentary digEplayers, game library, route narrators on selected routes.

Enhanced Bedroom=standard bedroom 1 berth 1 bunk bed with premium linens, Meals included in separate dining car with signature entrees on china-like dinnerware, in-room meal service by request, separate lounge car, welcome aboard reception with afternoon wine and cheese tasting, bedtime sweet and non-alcoholic nightcap, complimentary digEplayers, game library, route narrators on selected routes.

Luxury Bedroom=2 berths with luxurious plush bedding, personalized room service with in-room meal service and breakfast in bed, separate dining car with gourmet mult-course meals on fine china, separate lounge car, welcome aboard champagne reception with afternoon wine and cheese tasting, bedtime sweet and non-alcoholic nightcap, expresso bar and full repertiore of wines and alcoholic beverages, compliementary digEplayers, game library, featured guest lecturers along entire route, culinary events, entertainers and activities for adults and children, sightseeing packages.

There were 6-7 similiar questions about the service choices with different price differences. It was interesting.

Rafi

That is encouraging that Amtrak is interested in finding out what the public wants. Although I have walked through the AOE/GLE I have never ridden it. While certainly very nice, I think the Enchanced service makes more sense. Certainly a larger group could afford it, and really, if done well it is nothing more than train travel as it used to be with good service, good equipment, and first class dinining and lounge space. I'll sign up for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back