Amtrak management threw my stickers away

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thought related to the stickers--maybe a means other than signing up with myspace would be a good thing. I work in a library where myspace freaks out our computers big time and wanted to get one but won't for that reason join myspace.

Here's a brochure I've been working on. Any input, comments, or suggestions for the back side of this tri-fold piece would be great. If you want a copy as-is in a printable PDF format (looks a lot better), drop me a line.

Save_the_Sunset.jpg

Here's a brochure I've been working on. Any input, comments, or suggestions for the back side of this tri-fold piece would be great. If you want a copy as-is in a printable PDF format (looks a lot better), drop me a line.
Save_the_Sunset.jpg
In the second paragraph of the center section, it says "... temporarily suspend service of the Sunset Limited West of New Orleans" :eek: Change that to "East" :)

In the right section, under "write your US Senator", change "... appoint it's Board of Directors" to "its" (no apostrophe). And I would put line breaks in the section headers so it looks like

WRITE YOUR U.S. SENATOR &

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE

and

WRITE YOUR STATE SENATOR,

STATE REPRESENTATIVE & GOVERNOR

(without hyphenating/splitting words); just my two cents as a former copy editor. Content-wise, and other than those small suggestions, I think it's great! :) :) :)

George, are you referring to CSX spending money as a whole or specifically on the New Orleans to Jacksonville segment? What specific improvements have been made?
What I thought I said was that after Katrina the line along the Gulf Coast was restored to as good or better condition than it was in before Katrina. And, that the speed limits along the line are as high as they have ever been, in fact higher than they were in the days of L&N ownership and the running of the Gulf Wind. (The traffic is also significantly higher, thus leading to greater delays, but that is more operational than track conditions.)

As to system wide improvements by CSX, they have been spending significant money on additional sidings and sections of second main on the Chicago to Jacksonville line, but in reality probably not enough, but they are not sitting on their hands. In fact, that is one of TCI's issues with them is that they are spending too much on they facilities and not enough on dividends.

so far as I know, they are not spending on increased capacity Jacksonville to New Orleans, but I am not really following what they are doing that close.

All was said more in the form of generalities rather than an attempt to list what is happening where.

Excellent job, and I like that it matches the design of Amtrak's schedules! With the edits that wayman suggested, I think it's perfect!

Excellent job, and I like that it matches the design of Amtrak's schedules! With the edits that wayman suggested, I think it's perfect!
Amtrak may object to the intent to make it look like an official Amtrak publication and the absence of any identification of the person or persons responsible for the material. Amtrak is very protective of their identity, as some rail web site people can attest. You should clearly identify who is responsible for the content of the document and that the document and its contents is not authorized or approved by Amtrak.

Does Amtrak really bother with stuff like that? You bet they do. Several years ago a local rail advocacy organization used to post the current Amtrak schedules on their site. There were taken from the published Amtrak schedules and reworked to be more web-friendly. The schedules were absolutely accurate and were intended to encourage Amtrak travel. Amtrak objected and threatened legal action. Not willing to fight the organization they were trying to help, the group took the timetables down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak may object to the intent to make it look like an official Amtrak publication and the absence of any identification of the person or persons responsible for the material. Amtrak is very protective of their identity, as some rail web site people can attest. You should clearly identify who is responsible for the content of the document and that the document and its contents is not authorized or approved by Amtrak.
Does Amtrak really bother with stuff like that? You bet they do. Several years ago a local rail advocacy organization used to post the current Amtrak schedules on their site. There were taken from the published Amtrak schedules and reworked to be more web-friendly. The schedules were absolutely accurate and were intended to encourage Amtrak travel. Amtrak objected and threatened legal action. Not willing to fight the organization they were trying to help, the group took the timetables down.
Duly noted. I want to keep the 'look', but I can add a disclaimer that it is NOT an Amtrak publication. Good idea. As for printing who is responsible... I'd rather they NOT find me. HA!

As for them going after people posting schedules, I think that's crap. Several independent groups in Japan post time tables in hardcopy and online, but they are clearly used for planning purposes and reservations can't be made through that site. Simply a tool.

Sorry to all the lawyers in here, but this is a bit too litigious of a society.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may sound like crap, VetureForth, but trust me, its not. It makes perfect sense, to be honest with you. Years ago, Linoleum used to be a brand of vinyl flooring. Escalator used to be a brand name for moving stairs. "PC", which currently refers to personal computers in general, and more specifically, ones using Microsoft operating systems. It actually, at one point, was a trademarked name for a specific computer line put out by IBM. A few years ago Xerox was in danger of losing its name because "xerox" had become a common verb meaning to copy something. Apple was in danger of losing "iPod" because it had become almost a generic term for a digital music player.

A company must be very careful to guard its identity and the value of its brand name.

Oh, I don't mind a business protecting their identity. That's why I'm not using any Amtrak logo or protected term (other than Amtrak and Sunset Limited) in the brochure.

I look at my paper like Weird Al looks at Michael Jackson. There will always be parody, and hopefully folks will always know the difference. I'm certainly not putting out a timetable for the "Sunrise Unlimited" hosted by Scamtrak. I'd sue me if I did something like that...

Oh, I don't mind a business protecting their identity. That's why I'm not using any Amtrak logo or protected term (other than Amtrak and Sunset Limited) in the brochure.
I look at my paper like Weird Al looks at Michael Jackson. There will always be parody, and hopefully folks will always know the difference. I'm certainly not putting out a timetable for the "Sunrise Unlimited" hosted by Scamtrak. I'd sue me if I did something like that...
I still think you would be wise to put something on the bottom of your brochure similar to what is put on the bottom of this website:

"This Web site is not operated by or affiliated with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak®). "

And, if you want support, why not put some contact information on for your organization - or yourself?

I still think you would be wise to put something on the bottom of your brochure similar to what is put on the bottom of this website:

"This Web site is not operated by or affiliated with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak®). "

And, if you want support, why not put some contact information on for your organization - or yourself?
Some excellant advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back