"Amtrak Live" on Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Per a Post on trainorders (which I can't Link ) the Texas Eagle #422 will have a Group of 30+ Hi Tech Types riding in a Special " Reserved Observation Car" from LAX-AUS from March 3-5 to attend the Interactive South by Southwest Festival in Austin. They will be Posting on Social Media ("tweet and blog" and Instagram)to share their Trip with others in Austin for the Conference Live from the Train! It quotes an Amtrak Spokesperson about the Plan they have to make this a System wide thing! Check it out, sounds Interesting! ;)

Also wondering if the #422 LAX-CHI Section will have an Extra Sleeper for these 30+ Geeks to go along with the "Reserved Observation Car" and the Regular Cut-Out Sleeper and Coach that run on this Route?? This will be a Long Sunset/Eagle from LAX-SAS if so! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
SXSW isn't interesting anymore. No more good music. No more amazing product launches. It's turned into just one big party!

Wait! Now I want to go!

PARTY ON!

SXSW isn't interesting anymore. No more good music. No more amazing product launches. It's turned into just one big party!

Wait! Now I want to go!

PARTY ON!
You are correct Sir!! The best time to visit Austin is in April/May and October after South by Southwest and ACL!!! The Music is still in the Clubs, the Food and Beer are Great , it's not so damn Crowded and the Weather is Fantastic!

Come visit but Please don't move here! ^_^

"Journey of a lifetime" on the Sunset route, I don't see that panning out too well for non railfans considering how monotonously boring the scenery is. If one of those guys is dedicated to tweeting about the sights, I'd guess it will be something like this-

Vast desert. Nothing else to see.

Still same barren lands. #bored

Six hours passed, still the damn desert #KillMeNow

Long boring stop in middle of night in San Antonio. Take us to Austin already!

Just watched the video, the Sunset between Tucson to Houston I haven't ridden but what I assume Burrito Lady is in the video.

Yes,that is Juanita the Burrito Lady in ELP! They're delicious, hope to get one in Oct on the Short Way to the Gathering!

Wait! Now I want to go!

PARTY ON!
You are correct Sir!! The best time to visit Austin is in April/May and October after South by Southwest and ACL!!! The Music is still in the Clubs, the Food and Beer are Great , it's not so damn Crowded and the Weather is Fantastic!

Come visit but Please don't move here! ^_^
JimHudson -- WAIT!!! We are going to be in Austin toward the end of next week March 11 and 12th. Tell me more about the happenings in Austin .. We are all for the music/clubs/food and BEER!! Leaving on the Texas Eagle this Friday .. :) THANKS!!!

Yes,that is Juanita the Burrito Lady in ELP! They're delicious, hope to get one in Oct on the Short Way to the Gathering!
That is the short way to the gathering for YOU! :eek: Are you going to take the long way home (CS-EB-CONO-SL-TE or CS-EB-LSL-Crescent-SL-TE) ?

"Journey of a lifetime" on the Sunset route, I don't see that panning out too well for non railfans considering how monotonously boring the scenery is. If one of those guys is dedicated to tweeting about the sights, I'd guess it will be something like this-

Vast desert. Nothing else to see.

Still same barren lands. #bored

Six hours passed, still the damn desert #KillMeNow

Long boring stop in middle of night in San Antonio. Take us to Austin already!
And how many of these tech types will even be looking outside? All will be glued to their little glowing screens for the entire trip. They could be riding in a boxcar and not even notice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

And how many of these tech types will even be looking outside? All will be glued to their little glowing screens for the entire trip. They could be riding in a boxcar and not even notice.

1x??? What the heck is 1x??????

Could we maybe check out the live updates before passing judgment on a group of people?

:p

On my last SWC trip, I was "glued to my device", but I was busy posting photos, historic facts, and trip reports to Facebook. My friends had fun "following" me on my trip and asked lots of questions. I've turned a few people onto Amtrak, so I think stuff like this is completely worthwhile and a genius way to market something.

I've never been on the TE along that stretch, so I'm excited to see the updates.

I am far from young but I can assure you of one thing,.. I would NOT enjoy taking the train as much as I do without my electronics.

It's all part of the fun to me.

I cannot sit endlessly looking out of a window, it's just not that interesting to me - to each their own.

I'm sure those 'tech types' are having fun and people who have fun are the kind of people I like to be around = YMMV.

That is the short way to the gathering for YOU! :eek: Are you going to take the long way home (CS-EB-CONO-SL-TE or CS-EB-LSL-Crescent-SL-TE) ?
Nope, Im actually taking the Actual "Short Way" Home from the Gathering! :eek: CZ EMY-GBB/AmThruway GBB-SPI/TE SPI-AUS!!

(I'm not opposed to the CS/EB/CONO/SL/TE or the CS/SL/TE but the timing doesnt work out for a 2 Zone AGR Award!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm...my tablet and phone screens look pretty much the same from a roomette seat or the middle seat in a flying sardine can. What's the difference? To us, the view, and the opportunity to go off the grid for a few precious days, are the two best reasons to take the train vs flying. The cyberpets can wait.

Hmmmmm...my tablet and phone screens look pretty much the same from a roomette seat or the middle seat in a flying sardine can. What's the difference? To us, the view, and the opportunity to go off the grid for a few precious days, are the two best reasons to take the train vs flying. The cyberpets can wait.
Don't lump me in with "us". I find staring out the window boring after a while, especially if I've traveled that route a few times (or many times). I don't see why it's such a big deal for people to occupy themselves with books, tablets, and phones as long as they use headphones and don't bother anyone. Everyone enjoys traveling a different way. There's no "wrong" way to relax.

Don't lump me in with "us". I find staring out the window boring after a while, especially if I've traveled that route a few times (or many times). I don't see why it's such a big deal for people to occupy themselves with books, tablets, and phones as long as they use headphones and don't bother anyone. Everyone enjoys traveling a different way. There's no "wrong" way to relax.
"Us" referring to DW and myself. :)

Ah, gotcha. I thought it was another rant about people who like technology. Sorry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back