Amtrak life span

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak life span

• This is the last year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 year

• 2-3 years

• 4-5 years

• indefinetly

• other

• Total voters
I voted "indefinetly." (Small typo: it's actually spelled "indefinitely") IMHO, Amtrak is politically important enough to keep around, but it's not important enough to move in either direction (close down or build up).

I would tend to think that as the cost of gasoline & diesel keeps going up, that there may be more people interested in riding the rails. Here in L.A., the Metro Rail has seen an increase in ridership by almost 7%. Most people that ride it say it's the cost of fuel.

I would rather take the train than drive, because of the traffic.

We can only hope that Congress gets the message. (I have written my Congress people.)

:(

yea i heard that bush is not able to allow for budgeting for amtrak so he is going to cut off amtrak for good....i HOPE that isnt true!

Does anyone know about the Missouri routes. If they pull the KC to St. Louis train routes, will the Southwest Chief still be able to operate in order to go from KC to Chicago? :unsure: I was planning on a trip in October, but I am not sure now. The only way to get to Vermont is Chicago to DC.

PS: I tried to call Union Station in downtown KC, and all I got was Amtrak's "JULIE"!

Thanks

Stevie/KC Amtrak person

If your talking about Missouri's proposal to stop state funding for trains, the Southwest Chief should not be affected. I believe they only subsidize the operations of the state house, and mule trains.

Stephanie Armstrong said:
Does anyone know about the Missouri routes. If they pull the KC to St. Louis train routes, will the Southwest Chief still be able to operate in order to go from KC to Chicago? :unsure: I was planning on a trip in October, but I am not sure now. The only way to get to Vermont is Chicago to DC.
PS: I tried to call Union Station in downtown KC, and all I got was Amtrak's "JULIE"!

Thanks

Stevie/KC Amtrak person
The Southwest Chief is not dependent on Missouri funding, it will run regardless of what Missouri does. The Missouri funding issue will only stop the Kansas City Mule and it might change the Ann Rutledge run a bit.

Only the Federal funding debate can affect the Southwest Chief.

Thank you. I was hoping that was the case. I get really confused with the "who owns what tracks" and the Fed vs. state monies.

Thanks again Alan and 99.

Stevie

Back