Amtrak launching nonstop NYC-DC Acela

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by frequentflyer, Jul 25, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 13, 2019 #76

west point

w

west point

Conductor

Well if the conductor is a qualified engineer then relief otherwise hope for a stop signal somewhere ?

2. Aug 14, 2019 #77

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

Conductors are usually not cross qualified at Amtrak. Freight it's very common. But in Passenger Service it's one or the other normally. Engineers can keep Conductor qualifications normally.

Hope that makes sense.

3. Aug 14, 2019 #78

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

They could do what Small Plane Pilots do Steve, use a Catheter!:p

4. Aug 14, 2019 #79

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

My Dad would say a bucket and funnel. LOL!

5. Aug 14, 2019 #80

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

As for short haul bookings blocking ‘more lucrative’ longer haul bookings...
    I had thought that long ago, Amtrak’s space and equipment control, along with best yield management practices could solve that problem with a sophisticated algorithm that would maximize any trains revenue potential?

6. Sep 13, 2019 at 3:48 AM #81

keelhauled

k

keelhauled

OBS Chief

According to a a press release issued today, the nonstop train will have "complimentary coffee, tea water, and a light snack, “at seat” cashless cart service offering a limited menu of snacks and beverages and onboard phone charging kits for sale" on top of the standard Acela soft product.

7. Sep 13, 2019 at 9:12 AM #82

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

So, a bit of analysis:
    (1) It sounds like the on-board soft product in Business Class will be slightly above the Regional Business Class product. I'd argue this is a good thing, since "Acela Business" is the only Business Class product that doesn't include complementary F&B in any manner.
    (2) It also sounds like the product otherwise aligns pretty smoothly with what you'd expect for an airline beverage cart (albeit plus the charging kits...which I'd note Brightline sells at its stations). Depending on the exact specs, this feels like a nice testbed for the Acela IIs if they're looking to go in this direction.
    (3) Of course, this raises the question of whether there will be an effort to restrict cafe seating on the Acela IIs, etc.

Honestly, as it stands I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised by this at the moment. I'll be curious to see what, if anything, gets slipped in for F.

8. Sep 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM #83

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

Curious about the “phone charging kits for sale”...I don’t think they will charge you, just to plug in your phone, (they don’t currently), and all phones come with charging cords....so are they just hoping to sell to those that forgot to bring them?
    Most curious item to sell....

9. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:38 PM #84

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

Small phone charging kits including a cigarette lighter to usb adapter, a plug in usb adapter, and an octopus cable with usb to various charging tip plug in in a little box are extremely popular giveaways at trade shows and conferences I attend. I think many people will leave a "setup" at home or at work, and like the extra kit to travel with. Small auxiliary batteries are popular also.