Amtrak is vital to homeland security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York City and the Pentagon will be here soon. We will look back at what happened that day and we will ponder what we have done to prevent another attack. There is one more thing we need to do, and that is to be ready should terrorists strike American soil again.

For a few days after 9/11, military aircraft were the only things in American skies. Travelers were stranded. Many had to rent cars, take the bus or find a seat on a train. Car rental and inter-city bus service are the responsibility of private industry. Amtrak provides passenger rail service, but it is not yet self-supporting. It might never be. Amtrak is an easy target when Congressmen perform their occasional attempts at cutting the federal budget. As 9/11 showed, Amtrak is an important part of this country's response to emergencies.

Keeping it running is essential. That is far truer now than it was five years ago.

Story

BNSF_1088 said:
The fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York City and the Pentagon will be here soon. We will look back at what happened that day and we will ponder what we have done to prevent another attack. There is one more thing we need to do, and that is to be ready should terrorists strike American soil again.

For a few days after 9/11, military aircraft were the only things in American skies. Travelers were stranded. Many had to rent cars, take the bus or find a seat on a train. Car rental and inter-city bus service are the responsibility of private industry. Amtrak provides passenger rail service, but it is not yet self-supporting. It might never be. Amtrak is an easy target when Congressmen perform their occasional attempts at cutting the federal budget. As 9/11 showed, Amtrak is an important part of this country's response to emergencies.

Keeping it running is essential. That is far truer now than it was five years ago.

Story
You got that right BNSF....I was in Norfolk, Va getting ready to board a flight back too Texas the morning of 9/11/2001 and was stranded.

No way was I traveling by Bus so I tried Amtrak but was too late. Everything was booked. I finally flew out 3 days later on Friday and was lucky to have gotten that flight.....BD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back