Amtrak hits car once again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
people around here are pretty clueless chances are she hasn't learned her lesson. I see it all the time down here.

I wish Newspaper and TV reporters would say "Person Drives In Front Of Train", rather than "Train Hits Car", implying that the train chased the car down the road. Trains rarely have no other option than to hit a vehicle that has been driven onto the tracks by an absent-minded driver ignoring the crossing gates, flashing signals, and ringing bells.

Last year, our local paper printed a banner headline stating that a driver had driven his car into the middle of a freight train that was moving across the crossing at about 40 mph. It was broad daylight, and the driver tested clean and sober....go figure. :eek: :

Yeah, I totally agree! :rolleyes:

I can not remember the last time a train ran down the street chasing a car! But I can remember many times that I've read of a car hitting a train - and usually the train is on train tracks! (I know it's unbelievable that you may find a train operating on a train track! :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not remember the last time a train ran down the street chasing a car! But I can remember many times that I've read of a car hitting a train - and usually the train is on train tracks! (I know it's unbelievable that you may find a train operating on a train track! :eek: )
Aloha

I do, In Anaheim, there was a track that was in the middle of the street. Trains were slow there. Well this car was driving in the center square across the tracks, the train sounded its horn and the driver abruptly stopped. A policeman saw it happened.

btw: could this be why it is named a train track, hmnn :rolleyes: should the name be train wreck :lol: :lol:

Well dang it if I am on the tracks I expect the train to stop and wait until I get clear of the intersection - after all I entered the intersection first and I am a taxpayer!! I have rights dang it!!

/stupidity off

Wait? Trains run on tracks. When did this happen?

next someone is going to tell me that wrestling isn't real.

Aloha Mercedeslove

I have worked a few wrestling matches in my career and I can tell you they are real :rolleyes: show. :lol: :lol:

Eric

AGAIN ????? :angry:

If this keeps up, we'll reach new ''records'' of gate crossings accidents-related Amtrak delays. Seems to me that hardly a week does go by without such accidents, often with fatalities.

I know people '' just don't get it''...but...isn't there a limit ???

Woman her age...youd' think she'd know better and be mature enough to N O T drive around downed crossing gates, specially on a straight stretch of mainline tracks like down there....

But, of course, ''what was she thinking'' is the issue here : she was NOT !!

BTW, did the cops check her cell phone for usage imminently before or at the time of the collision ??

Betting line starts to the right.... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Claude

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not remember the last time a train ran down the street chasing a car!
But I've definitely been chased by trolleys down the street! :lol:

The (former Red Arrow, now SEPTA) suburban trolley out to Media, PA, runs single-track down the center of the town's main downtown street to a terminus in the middle of the street. The tracks just stop, no bumper; the catenary just stops too. The trolley is supposed to stop about fifteen feet shy of the end of the tracks, wait fifteen minutes, and head back the other way (the line becomes double-track for passing/two-way operations just outside of town; it's only single-track in town).

Anyway -- and Rafi can back me up on this one! we rode the line together a couple years ago and got the full story from the motorman and saw the evidence! -- once, a trolley didn't stop. I don't know that he was necessarily "chasing a car down the street", but for whatever the reason, he didn't stop until he got a good five feet beyond the end of the rails and his pole had gone beyond the reach of the catenary!!! They had to get a tow truck to drag him back onto the rails. There are still grooves in the pavement beyond the end of the rails from where the flanges tore up the pavement.

So, if you're ever driving in Media, PA, watch out!!! :lol:

But I've definitely been chased by trolleys down the street! :lol:

The (former Red Arrow, now SEPTA) suburban trolley out to Media, PA, runs single-track down the center of the town's main downtown street to a terminus in the middle of the street. The tracks just stop, no bumper; the catenary just stops too. The trolley is supposed to stop about fifteen feet shy of the end of the tracks, wait fifteen minutes, and head back the other way (the line becomes double-track for passing/two-way operations just outside of town; it's only single-track in town).

Anyway -- and Rafi can back me up on this one! we rode the line together a couple years ago and got the full story from the motorman and saw the evidence! -- once, a trolley didn't stop. I don't know that he was necessarily "chasing a car down the street", but for whatever the reason, he didn't stop until he got a good five feet beyond the end of the rails and his pole had gone beyond the reach of the catenary!!! They had to get a tow truck to drag him back onto the rails. There are still grooves in the pavement beyond the end of the rails from where the flanges tore up the pavement.

So, if you're ever driving in Media, PA, watch out!!! :lol:
Priceless story. In model railroading circles it often is said that regardless of what cockamamey idea a modeller can come up with on his layout, there probably was/is a prototype (real) railroad that had already done it....... :lol:

It happens here many times a day. :lol:

4415041705_dace050677_b.jpg

It has also reminded me of my first base RAF Ballykelly in Northern Ireland where the main Londonderry to Belfast Line crossed the main runway. We had the distinction of having a sheep killed on the runway by a train.

It has also reminded me of my first base RAF Ballykelly in Northern Ireland where the main Londonderry to Belfast Line crossed the main runway. We had the distinction of having a sheep killed on the runway by a train.
Who technically has right-of-way here -- the airplanes or the trains?! It's not like either one has much ability to stop for the other....

And whose brilliant idea was this at-grade runway crossing, anyway?! :blink:

Who technically has right-of-way here -- the airplanes or the trains?! It's not like either one has much ability to stop for the other....

And whose brilliant idea was this at-grade runway crossing, anyway?! :blink:
I don't care who you are. This is pretty funny. Here's the aerial shot of the airport.

Looks like the runway has been since shortend to about 2000' and doesn't even show on the regular map. Sad. Looks like it used to be one heckuvan airport.

The SHEEP had the right of way - everyone knows that! :lol:

Aloha Mercedeslove

I have worked a few wrestling matches in my career and I can tell you they are real :rolleyes: show. :lol: :lol:

Eric

I use to wrestle myself which is why this joke always makes me LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back