Amtrak hit car in University Park, IL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, University Park Trustee Vivian Covington said the south suburban village has repeatedly complained to the tracks' owner, Canadian National Railway Co., about poor track conditions.
thats CN for you.

Actually the article I just read states cn was working on that crossing all day. Workers were on sight and one was 30 feet away when it happened. He was rushing to try to save the driver. This us a tragedy for all involved.

Yes, I just heard this morning that the CN workers were still on the scene when the accident occurred. So it was traumatic all around. I live fairly close to the crossing and it's pretty tricky in the westbound direction. There's a four-way stop just west of the tracks and only room for two to three cars on the west side of the crossing. Cars often back up on the crossing. I try to stay on the east side of the crossing until there's enough room to get on the other side, but every once in a while I find myself on the CN main when I misjudge how quickly vehicles are getting through. ONe of the articles on the accident stated that the woman was stopped on the tracks, so even if the gates were operating properly, she may have still been in danger. The crossing is the main way students from Governors State University access I-57, so it can be pretty busy at times. Just north of the crossing is the Metra Electric University Park station and storage yard, so there's also commuter traffic using the crossing, although there's parking on both sides of the tracks. All in all, a very tragic situation for the victim, the CN signal crew and the Amtrak engineer, who was running under the impression that the gates were in operating condition.

Yes, I just heard this morning that the CN workers were still on the scene when the accident occurred. So it was traumatic all around. I live fairly close to the crossing and it's pretty tricky in the westbound direction. There's a four-way stop just west of the tracks and only room for two to three cars on the west side of the crossing. Cars often back up on the crossing. I try to stay on the east side of the crossing until there's enough room to get on the other side, but every once in a while I find myself on the CN main when I misjudge how quickly vehicles are getting through. ONe of the articles on the accident stated that the woman was stopped on the tracks, so even if the gates were operating properly, she may have still been in danger. The crossing is the main way students from Governors State University access I-57, so it can be pretty busy at times. Just north of the crossing is the Metra Electric University Park station and storage yard, so there's also commuter traffic using the crossing, although there's parking on both sides of the tracks. All in all, a very tragic situation for the victim, the CN signal crew and the Amtrak engineer, who was running under the impression that the gates were in operating condition.

I use to live in Homewood and knew GSU very well as well as those tracks. Hopefully nothing like this happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back