Amtrak has expanded service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
Special information

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...1053&ssid=6

Amtrak has expanded service by adding trains and cars to maximize capacity for service to and from Washington, D.C., for the inauguration of the nation's 44th president on January 20, 2009.

Reservations may be made online or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL. All tickets are reserved. Amtrak multi-ride tickets to or from Alexandria, Washington, New Carrollton, BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport and Baltimore will not be accepted, and Amtrak will not honor MARC or VRE tickets on January 20.

January 20 Inauguration Day Travel and Security

Due to extraordinary security measures associated with inaugural events, starting mid-afternoon access to Washington Union Station will be limited to Amtrak, MARC or VRE passengers. Expect extremely large crowds, and please be mindful of the following:

Arrive at the station no earlier than one hour prior to your train's departure time.

Pick up your roundtrip tickets (your inbound and return tickets) before you board your train for Washington.

Restroom facilities in the station are limited and will be extremely crowded, so consider using the restroom before detraining and before returning to the station for your return trip.

The station's food court and most retail shops will be closed mid-afternoon; however, food service will be available aboard inbound and outbound trains.

Special traffic patterns in and around Washington Union Station will be in effect. Follow the instructions of station personnel and law enforcement for exiting and entering the station.

Pack lightly, as no lockers or storage facilities will be available in the station. A list of items prohibited from the inaugural event sites and locations is available on the District of Columbia inaugural Web site.

Amtrak cannot provide alternate transportation or accommodations in the event of a service disruption.

Just booked my return ticket, WAS-BWI (where I catch an Airtran flight - too bad the Montrealer isn't around anymore). I'll be going in that morning on MARC. Anyone else from AU going to be there?

I'll be out and about. I hope you've reserved your MARC ticket, though. MARC and VRE will NOT be honoring weekly, monthly, 10-trip, or one way unreserved tickets on Inauguration Day. Instead, you have to reserve a seat ahead of time at www.commuterdirect.com, and the trains are beginning to sell out (note that it's $25 round trip per person).

With regard to the equipment, I've received word that Amtrak has gotten NJ Transit to agree to lend some of their cars for longer Amtrak trains. Not sure how NJ Transit is making do with fewer, Alan, but this is what I'm hearing. The Maryland MTA wanted to grab some extra cars for MARC from either NJ Transit, Septa, or Metro North apparently, but stopped looking when it was rightly pointed out that they wouldn't have anywhere to store the extra equipment during the day layover. I don't believe VRE is bothering with more cars either.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be out and about. I hope you've reserved your MARC ticket, though. MARC and VRE will NOT be honoring weekly, monthly, 10-trip, or one way unreserved tickets on Inauguration Day. Instead, you have to reserve a seat ahead of time at www.commuterdirect.com, and the trains are beginning to sell out.
With regard to the equipment, I've received word that Amtrak has gotten NJ Transit to agree to lend some of their cars for longer Amtrak trains. Not sure how NJ Transit is making do with fewer, Alan, but this is what I'm hearing. The Maryland MTA wanted to grab some extra cars for MARC from either NJ Transit, Septa, or Metro North apparently, but stopped looking when it was rightly pointed out that they wouldn't have anywhere to store the extra equipment during the day layover. I don't believe VRE is bothering with more cars either.

Rafi
Yes, I have, but thanks for the heads up anyway. I'm sort of getting screwed because MARC will only sell me a RT ticket ($25 flat fee). I need to depart from a station on the Camden line, which I'll be staying near with some relatives, but then need to return to BWI at the end of the day. They're only selling tickets RT to the same station. So I bought one of those tickets and an Amtrak ticket on the way out, since it was cheaper than buying another $25 RT ticket to BWI.

They're running an interesting train on the evening of the 25th, they've numbered it 1138 and haven't assigned it any sort of description (like "Northeast Regional"). The only thing that appears to be for sale is business class seats (unless that's just all they have left). Must be some sort of extra. Other than that I really don't see anything outside of their normal offerings.

I'll be out and about. I hope you've reserved your MARC ticket, though. MARC and VRE will NOT be honoring weekly, monthly, 10-trip, or one way unreserved tickets on Inauguration Day. Instead, you have to reserve a seat ahead of time at www.commuterdirect.com, and the trains are beginning to sell out.

Rafi
Yes, I have, but thanks for the heads up anyway. I'm sort of getting screwed because MARC will only sell me a RT ticket ($25 flat fee). I need to depart from a station on the Camden line, which I'll be staying near with some relatives, but then need to return to BWI at the end of the day. They're only selling tickets RT to the same station. So I bought one of those tickets and an Amtrak ticket on the way out, since it was cheaper than buying another $25 RT ticket to BWI.

They're running an interesting train on the evening of the 25th, they've numbered it 1138 and haven't assigned it any sort of description (like "Northeast Regional"). The only thing that appears to be for sale is business class seats (unless that's just all they have left). Must be some sort of extra. Other than that I really don't see anything outside of their normal offerings.

I've talked to a bunch of people via phone about the extra trains. According to them, amtrak stuff is being tacked onto the usual stuff which is on the regular timetable. Simply more cars, especially look for baggage cars & diner/lounge cars out of place. The second part is extra trains. These extra trains are part extra amtrak equipment, part transit (njt and such) equipment. There may be NJT hauled amfleets, and amtk hauled comets/multilevels. It all totally depends on what NJT has that can be lent. I imagine NJT trains will be shorter than usual.

I am going to DC so i will post any information that i can after i get back. :)

- A

Arrive at the station no earlier than one hour prior to your train's departure time.

Wow, what a dramatic difference from airports. Amtrak does not what passengers to allow extra time for things like security. :D

There is one 3000 series round trip with no snack bar listed - presumeably a "Commuter Extra"
Correct!

AFAIK it will be all NJT equipment only.
Correct, however new haven, or MBTA shtuff may also be seen. I'm booked on an extra train, so i'll be able to confirm at least one set of borrowed equipment.

- A
While there may be commuter cars added to certain Amtrak trains, there is only one train that is scheduled to have only commuter equipment and no Amtrak equipment at all. There is a slight chance that Amtrak might put a cafe car on the train, but otherwise it will be only commuter equipment. That train is 3181 NYP to WAS, departing at 5:40 AM and arriving at 9:25AM. That train will return northbound to NYP as train #3178 and will run just slightly ahead of the regularly scheduled #178.

There is one 3000 series round trip with no snack bar listed - presumeably a "Commuter Extra"
Correct!

AFAIK it will be all NJT equipment only.
Correct, however new haven, or MBTA shtuff may also be seen. I'm booked on an extra train, so i'll be able to confirm at least one set of borrowed equipment.

- A
While there may be commuter cars added to certain Amtrak trains, there is only one train that is scheduled to have only commuter equipment and no Amtrak equipment at all. There is a slight chance that Amtrak might put a cafe car on the train, but otherwise it will be only commuter equipment. That train is 3181 NYP to WAS, departing at 5:40 AM and arriving at 9:25AM. That train will return northbound to NYP as train #3178 and will run just slightly ahead of the regularly scheduled #178.

I am on 3178!!!! Oh happy day! :)

- A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back