Amtrak Guest Rewards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
I'm nearing "Select" status with my AGR membership. I have a question though. It states: "A 25% point BONUS on every Amtrak trip you take excluding BONUS points". What does that mean? Isn't that like saying "yes son, you can borrow the car tonight but you can't take the car tonight". Can someone clarify?

That means for example that if you register for one of the frequent double or triple point bonuses that often run for riding Acela, that you will get a 25% bonus on the base points 500 for Business Class, 750 for First Class for certain city pairs. But you will not get the 25% bonus for the double or triple points awarded.

Bottom line, you will always get the 25% bonus on the base points for your trip. But if there is any special point offers, you will not get the 25% bonus on those points.

I'm glad you brought this up. I signed up for this membership but I remember reading something that you have to put the information in after your train ride. Does anyone know or where do you go to see if it has already been put in?

Guest_Gingee said:
I'm glad you brought this up. I signed up for this membership but I remember reading something that you have to put the information in after your train ride. Does anyone know or where do you go to see if it has already been put in?
Gingee,

You've got it backwards. One should always put your number in when booking the reservation on line. If you phoned in your reservation or went to the station to make it, then again be sure to give your number at that time. If you do that, then your AGR number will appear on your tickets and 95% of the time, your points will automatically appear with out you needing to do anything further.

If you forgot to include your number when making the reservation, or you signed up after your trip, or if the points fail to appear automatically, then you can request credit in two ways. The first is through the online system, sign into the AGR page and click on the link to report a missing trip. You'll need to have your ticket stubs handy, as they will want a number from that stub.

Alternatively, you can mail or fax copies of your ticket stubs to AGR. If mailing, don't mail the actual ticket stubs, just mail copies of them.

But again the easiest way to get credit is to always make sure that you provide your number at the time of booking. And if your number doesn't appear when you get the tickets, then go to the ticket window prior to departing on your trip and get new tickets issued with the number printed on them.

I think you have 21 days to recieve credit for a trip taken on Amtrak. After my first trip, I had to find the ticket stub and call AGR. I was credited with the trip though. I have really racked up some points fairly quickly with the AGR CC. If you like to get some perks or free travel, I see it as a good way to go about acquiring travel on Amtrak. You can also use the points with other business's like Hertz and some large hotel chains. I'm trying to save mine up for a trip on the Empire Builder. I put every expense on the credit card. But you have to be fiscally solvent because you have to pay it off at the end of the month. So far, in 3 months, I have really knuckled down, not put anything on it that I can't pay off, so that is making it work for me.

An Interesting thing:

When I took my trip on the LSL last fall, I completely forgot to use my AGR number when I picked up the tickets at Chicago Union Station. After I returned from my vacation, I had to immediately go on a business trip for my company and again, completely forgot to let Amtrak know.

Low and behold, a month after my trip, the points showed up on my AGR page without my doing a thing. I assume there must be some computer software that reviewed the used tickets and recognized my name and added the points. Or else how did I get credited?

rail rookie said:
I think you have 21 days to recieve credit for a trip taken on Amtrak. After my first trip, I had to find the ticket stub and call AGR. I was credited with the trip though.
It is 21 days, if you were not a member of AGR at the time you took the trip. However, if you are a member and just forgot to put your number into the reservation, then it appears that there is no time limit as long as the ticket is not an unreserved ticket.

frj1983 said:
An Interesting thing:
When I took my trip on the LSL last fall, I completely forgot to use my AGR number when I picked up the tickets at Chicago Union Station. After I returned from my vacation, I had to immediately go on a business trip for my company and again, completely forgot to let Amtrak know.

Low and behold, a month after my trip, the points showed up on my AGR page without my doing a thing. I assume there must be some computer software that reviewed the used tickets and recognized my name and added the points. Or else how did I get credited?
I'm stunned, first time I've ever heard of that happening. AGR points are triggered when the bar code on your ticket is scanned into Amtrak's main computer system. If your member number is not on that ticket when that bar code is scanned, you don't get points because the system doesn't know to send that trip over to the AGR computers.

gswager said:
I am wondering if you booked the tickets via Amtrak credit card, will the member's number automatically showed up?
That might be possible. I'm not sure, but there could be a cross reference that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back