Amtrak Grapples With Aging Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

engine999

OBS Chief
Amtrak Grapples With Aging EquipmentBy MATTHEW L. WALD

Published: July 18, 2004

WASHINGTON

AMTRAK is still struggling to find the money for the capital improvements it says it needs to return to a state of good repair, but the railroad says it is making progress, and is putting more coaches and locomotives on the rails, buying new car carriers for the Auto Train, and working with states for expansion of rail service on corridors of less than 500 miles.
The full story can be found here. It is an intersting article about amtraks current fleet state and the plan to make minor improvements on routes to increase train speeds and frequencies.

Pretty interesting article. I really hope that Amtrak can do the upgrades on the corridors mentioned, as that will not only affect corridor traffic but also long distance trains. Of course, I keyed on the Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison corridor which will improve the Builder's travel time. It'd be nice to see a long-distance schedule decrease in time instead of increase like usually happens. Also, I'd like to see what it's like riding in a Superliner at 100 MPH, which is it's top rated speed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back