Amtrak FY 16 Financial Results

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some quick impressions looking at the data from that FRA report....

T

Overall in LD service the Atlantic Coast Service stands out as a superior performer, in terms of cost recovery from revenues. The worst of the Atlantic Coas - the SS is one point worse than the best of the rest Empire builder and coast Starlight.

This illustrates why augmenting the single level fleet first is likely to be a winning strategy.

In terms of PM/TM The Meteor and Auto Train stand out. The LSL and Coast Starlight come in close. The Star is not a slouch either, and is remarkable considering how many fewer seats are offered on it.

Among the corridor service trains the 200+ club consists of Lynchburg, Newport News, Carolinian, NER, Adirondack, Pennsylvanian, Richmond, in decreasing order. Thing to note is that all are connected with New York.

In cost recovery excluding state revenue in decreasing order the top spots in corridor service are Acela > 150% > Lynchburg, NER, Newport News, Richmond, > 100% > Carolinian, Norfolk, Norfolk, Maple Leaf, Hiawatha+Pennsylvanian, Adirondack+Vermonter > 60%

I'm actually betting we'll see another Continuing Resolution for 2018. The odds of this arguing gang passing a budget are low.
That, given the current circumstances may be the best possible outcome for Amtrak. We will have to wait three months to see what happens for the balance of the fiscal year. The three month CR from the lame duck session appears to be a given for now.

I'm actually betting we'll see another Continuing Resolution for 2018. The odds of this arguing gang passing a budget are low.
That, given the current circumstances may be the best possible outcome for Amtrak. We will have to wait three months to see what happens for the balance of the fiscal year. The three month CR from the lame duck session appears to be a given for now.
I agree. But a CR next January or February for the remainder of FY2017 for the entire federal budget is not likely. But in the context of big political fights over the Affordable Care Act, Dodd-Frank, infrastructure funding. and all the hot button issues, perhaps the small stuff such as maintaining baseline transportation budget spending can slide through. Perhaps, but I would not bet any money on that outcome.

I agree. But a CR next January or February for the remainder of FY2017 for the entire federal budget is not likely. But in the context of big political fights over the Affordable Care Act, Dodd-Frank, infrastructure funding. and all the hot button issues, perhaps the small stuff such as maintaining baseline transportation budget spending can slide through. Perhaps, but I would not bet any money on that outcome.
I agree with that assessment. I think there will be a new appropriation, just to make a point.

Remember a few years back when we had one-month CRs, over and over again, all year long? As they managed to pass one or two things, they'd carve those out from the CRs, but basically they didn't pass a budget that year.

It really, really wouldn't surprise me if this happened for 2017 and 2018. There are some very conflicting agendas among the people in the top spots, they have a very narrow majority, and they are all known for not compromising. Kicking the can down the road seems most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back