Amtrak Funding Increase

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan72

Lead Service Attendant
I was just reading yesterday's Trains newswire and according to the brief article, Congress has approved for Amtrak $1.325 Billion - a $31 million increase from last year. It also indicated that Bush is expected sign the bill as well. Some good news for Amtrak. Hopefully, we can get some good news as well for the workers in the near future....

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Amtrak going to be able to make any real moves with this, IE new equipment, decent contracts for employees, etc. Or will they just be surving for next year.
Well, that is an increase of 2.4%. Given inflation and rising operational costs, I'd say Amtrak will be barely treading water for another year.

A little bird told me that they are going to buy some new sleepers. Only thing that would make sense is a middle class slumber coach minus the free meals.

A little bird told me that they are going to buy some new sleepers. Only thing that would make sense is a middle class slumber coach minus the free meals.
I'm not questioning the little birds lack of knowledge, but if Amtrak can afford anything I would think they need more basics like locomotives and coaches so they can add services in cities like Atlanta (hello? the city with the busiest airport in the world!). I'm not sure they really need new sleepers, I mean of course it would be nice, but they have the trains covered, I'm not sure how many more they really need (i.e. have to have).

I'm not questioning the little birds lack of knowledge, but if Amtrak can afford anything I would think they need more basics like locomotives and coaches so they can add services in cities like Atlanta (hello? the city with the busiest airport in the world!). I'm not sure they really need new sleepers, I mean of course it would be nice, but they have the trains covered, I'm not sure how many more they really need (i.e. have to have).
Amtrak put 37 P40 locomotives into mothballs a few years back because they didn't need them, so I can't imagine why they would need to buy more locomotives.

Coaches and sleepers on the other hand are in very short supply in the case of the Viewliner's, and in the case of the Superliners many are now over 30 years old.

Does anyone have any info on what types of sleepers? Viewliner, superliners, or a new design? And of a new design would it be single level, double level, or something else? Just wonderign as I have been hoping for some new sleepers.

Does anyone have any info on what types of sleepers? Viewliner, superliners, or a new design? And of a new design would it be single level, double level, or something else? Just wonderign as I have been hoping for some new sleepers.
Aren't there a stack (or whatever the plural is) of Amfleets in storage somewhere? Could they be rebuilt as sleepers?

*j* :blink:

Aren't there a stack (or whatever the plural is) of Amfleets in storage somewhere? Could they be rebuilt as sleepers?

There are 24 Amflleet I's in storage. However Amtrak could really use them in normal service right now as coaches.

Even if Amtrak didn't need them back in service as a coach, I for one would have a hard time justifying spending millons of dollars that would be needed to convert them to sleepers, as these car are over 30 years old. It simply dosn't make sense to spend that kind of money on a car that old, as the return on investment will be way too low.

Just a side note to clarify what a group of cars are termed. Cars gathered together are referred to as a "cut" of cars. Probably stems back to switching days when you drug a track out to be switched and made a "cut" on the track, switched out the cut and came back to the same track for another "cut."

I agree with AlanB,

It's time to get some new equipment! The problem that I see is that there is really only one place (at least right now) that Amtrak can get new Superliners from and that would be Bombardier. And seeing how Amtrak has had a rather contentious relationship with them in the recent past, and seeing how the Builder is quite busy right now, it would take awhile to iron out a new order. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it usually take 2-3 years to get an order in place and then start receiving the cars?

The time to start ordering is now...I have a strange fear that Amtrak will come to a shuddering halt in about 2-3 years when it's equipment wears out and cannot be run for safety reasons. Or numerous routes will be cut or cut back because there is an equipment shortage. I honestly hope I'm wrong...but I have that niggling feeling in the back of my head!

I think somewhere in prior posts someone heard the Amfleet I's rolling after they left New Orleans. They said the wheels sounded square. Trucks and wheels are very expensive items and you would have to literally start from the ground up with these cars to achieve anything useful coupled with the fact that you would have to have wheel barrels full of money. But who knows, stranger things have happened in the past, especially at Amtrak.

heard the Amfleet I's rolling after they left New Orleans. They said the wheels sounded square.
Yep. I saw one of the videos, and it would have been a pretty bone-jarring ride based on the sound as they went by. They probably ought to have one of those "Honk if parts fall off!" bumper stickers on the rear.

I think somewhere in prior posts someone heard the Amfleet I's rolling after they left New Orleans. They said the wheels sounded square. Trucks and wheels are very expensive items and you would have to literally start from the ground up with these cars to achieve anything useful coupled with the fact that you would have to have wheel barrels full of money. But who knows, stranger things have happened in the past, especially at Amtrak.
The standby cars did indeed leave the NOL and are back in Delaware. I seem to recall reading that they each required around $100,000 in work to be returned to normal service. That I can justify, assuming that Amtrak can find the money. But again, converting them into sleepers is an expense that I don't think is justified.

Whatever happened to the multi-billion dollar, 10 year plan that was talked about? I don't remember it ever being struck dead...
My understanding is that the Senate passed this bill (S.294) by a veto-proof majority a couple months ago. It was for six years and $11.4B. The House is expected to take up a companion bill early in the new year. This contrasts with the recent past, with the G.O.P.-controlled House and transportation committees neglecting to make a start on companion bills to similar funding authorizations that the Senate has passed in the last few years. Pres. Bush I believe hasn't taken a public stand on the bill yet, but it looks likely for him to promise a veto.

Of course, write or call your member of the U.S. House if you have an opinion to express!

Is Amtrak going to be able to make any real moves with this, IE new equipment, decent contracts for employees, etc. Or will they just be surving for next year.
Well, that is an increase of 2.4%. Given inflation and rising operational costs, I'd say Amtrak will be barely treading water for another year.
This week's NARP Hotline News takes a more optimistic view. http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/hotl...re/hotline_532/

Summarizing, Amtrak got less of an operational subsidy this year. But that's because they need less of an operational subsidy due to improving operations, which is a good thing no matter how you feel about Amtrak. Thank you, SDS! So, in their analysis, this amounts to sufficient money for operations and debt service, plus a 14% increase in funding for capital expenditures. And money for capital is what Amtrak really needs to get better. So...it's something, and it's better than some years.

My more cynical side would argue that this will probably just be poured into NEC infrastructure (and was probably only included for that reason), which I guess can be good or bad depending on where you live. No help for me.

Wow, just before I posted this, I saw in the NARP article that the 2002 ban on Amtrak initiating new intercity routes without securing state subsidy has been lifted. I hadn't heard about that in any other media reports. If that is true, that IS newsworthy.

What do square wheels sound like?
It is just an expression. It means that the wheel has a flat spot on it. These are usually caused by the brakes locking up and the wheel sliding along the rail. You therefore hear a "clunk" every time the wheel goes around. How loud the clunk is depends upon how long the flat spot is. For a 36 inch diameter wheel this means a clunk every 9'-5", or at 79 mph, 12.3 clunks per second. Generally there are rules on them, below a certain length, full speed OK. Above that 10 mph to the nearest place where the vehicle can be taken out of service. Since railroad wheels are fixed on their axles, invariably you will have a flat spot on both wheels of the same axle.

I would like to see Amtrak try "sleeper lites" - single level cars with semi-private berths.
Same here.

Even, if I could pay a little extra for a coach car with seats that recline fully horizontal, I wouldn't even wish for a roomette again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back