Amtrak from Dallas to Disneyland in California?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john h

Service Attendant
Is it possible to take Amtrak all the way to Disneyland? Or atleast transfer to a commuter train in California?

Any thoughts? I am thinking it maybe easier then trying to take Amtrak from Dallas to Orlando

The Sunset Limited goes from Dallas to Los Angeles and then a connection to a Pacific Surfliner will take you to Anaheim.

The Sunset Limited goes from Dallas to Los Angeles and then a connection to a Pacific Surfliner will take you to Anaheim.
Cool, I was thinking the only train in Dallas is the Texas Eagle

Yes, you can. You can ride on Sunset Limited which is three times a week to LA. From there, you'll have two options to reach Disneyland (well almost)- Pacific Surfliner or Metrolink commuter rail.

You can use this link to get you there from LAUS to Disneyland. Address for LAUS is 800 N Alameda St.

For California Amtrak, here's this link.

Both stations are Fullerton and Anahiem (right next to Angels baseball stadium).

From there, you'll have to find a way, such as taxi or bus, to reach Disneyland. Also, check with your hotel if they will provide shuttle.

Others on this forum will fill you in.

Cool, I was thinking the only train in Dallas is the Texas Eagle
Part of Texas Eagle will "piggyback" with Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. Be aware that the schedule is three times a week for Sunset Limited.

Part of Texas Eagle will "piggyback" with Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. Be aware that the schedule is three times a week for Sunset Limited.

But be sure you book train # 421 or #422 rather than #21 or #22 or you might end up standing on the platform in San Antonio waiting.

See, #421 and #422 are THROUGH trains, meaning you can stay onboard while in San Antonio. The others are not, and require you to detrain and "re"-train.

You might see a cost difference between the two, but consider the options.

Last edited:
No.

Sunset Limited are LAX-NOL (New Orleans) which is three times a week. On westbound, it pick up part of Texas Eagle cars. On eastbound, it drops off parts of cars. It just like Empire Builder. It splits up westbound and joined together eastbound at Spokane, WA (some go to Portland, OR and others go to Seattle, WA.)

Texas Eagle are CHI (Chicago) - San Antonio which is daily.

Oh, I see. I confused because they arrive and depart at the same time. Thanks.

Btw, #1 is 12hrs late today. wonder what happened.

Aloha

Disneyland is one of my favorat places on earth. Depending on your needs ticket to Fullerton and either Amtrak or Metro link to Anaheim. But also think of using the Fullerton transit center to the park. That is if the Hotel doesn't pick up. The Walk from the Anaheim station is not good as it is long and busy roads to the park.

I paid for my college working in the park during the 60's and friends work there, and my daughter lives a few miles from there.

Aloha
Disneyland is one of my favorat places on earth. Depending on your needs ticket to Fullerton and either Amtrak or Metro link to Anaheim. But also think of using the Fullerton transit center to the park. That is if the Hotel doesn't pick up. The Walk from the Anaheim station is not good as it is long and busy roads to the park.

I paid for my college working in the park during the 60's and friends work there, and my daughter lives a few miles from there.
Is the upgrade to business class from LA to Aniheim worth it? Thinking for spring break next year

Aloha

Disneyland is one of my favorite places on earth. Depending on your needs ticket to Fullerton and either Amtrak or Metro link to Anaheim. But also think of using the Fullerton transit center to the park. That is if the Hotel doesn't pick up. The Walk from the Anaheim station is not good as it is long and busy roads to the park.

Is the upgrade to business class from LA to Anaheim worth it? Thinking for spring break next year
Aloha

Defiantly not. If you change trains in LAUS the trip back is about 45 min. or so. Thats why I suggest the Fullerton connection. The Sunset Limited stops at Fullerton, before LAUS so the trackage is the same and at Fullerton station the same options exist as in LA unless you plan some time in LA also.

Defiantly not. If you change trains in LAUS the trip back is about 45 min. or so. Thats why I suggest the Fullerton connection. The Sunset Limited stops at Fullerton, before LAUS so the trackage is the same and at Fullerton station the same options exist as in LA unless you plan some time in LA also.
That would be Southwest Chief.

Sunset Limited stops at North Palm Springs, Ontario, Pomona, and LAUS.

Upgrade to business class is not worthwhile because it's a really short ride.

That would be Southwest Chief.
Sunset Limited stops at North Palm Springs, Ontario, Pomona, and LAUS.

Upgrade to business class is not worthwhile because it's a really short ride.
Aloha GS

Could there be a route change? I didn't check recently but when I came back from Orlando (on time) My daughter picked me up at Fullerton and for laffs we went to Disneyland so i could visit both parks on each end of my trip. this was around 1983.

A little off topic, but speaking of Disneyland, in riding the park train I've found that the "cast members" who run the trains are very cooperative about photography. Some will offer shot tips, and once I was even invited up beside the cab (at a stop) to get closeups.

A little off topic, but speaking of Disneyland, in riding the park train I've found that the "cast members" who run the trains are very cooperative about photography. Some will offer shot tips, and once I was even invited up beside the cab (at a stop) to get closeups.
Aloha

As a former cast member we were encourage to do just that, unless safety was a question.

The train crew, including the trams are members of the RR union and I think Santa Fe certified

I was reading the google news on Amtrak today and found out that the Anahiem Resort Transit or (ART) is going to start providing transportation to the Disneyland Resort and Anahiem Resort starting October 1. Anyways here's the source:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...amp;newsLang=en

I don't know if that will help you, but then again it could...

Eric,

It may be possible that Sunset Limited had changed the route years ago. It used to be in the median of freeway, but that line was abandoned. That's what I've read about it before, in a briefly way. Perhaps others on this forum would tell us about it.

Aloha GS

One reason the getting off in Fullerton and going to Disneyland was 2 years before at a conference, I was able to find time, on My 50th birthday to ride, again, the Coney Island Cyclone and then the Magic Mountain Psyclone on the way home. Being able to visit favorite places on both ends of the country was special.

I was reading the google news on Amtrak today and found out that the Anahiem Resort Transit or (ART) is going to start providing transportation to the Disneyland Resort and Anahiem Resort starting October 1. Anyways here's the source:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...amp;newsLang=en

I don't know if that will help you, but then again it could...

Thanks, I am still deciding weather to fly or take the train, I originally thought it would be cheaper on the train but thats not the case. However thanks everyone who contributed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, McDonalds is cheaper and faster than a good restaurant but don't we all like a good restaurant once in awhile? :D I was at Disneyland about 1 1/2 years ago and really enjoyed seeing the band Flogging Molly at the House of Blues. HOB is defiantely a touristy place, but it has decent food and good site lines to see a live band and if you spend a certain dollor amount eating there they let you in a line that gets you in before the rest of the crowd. You get to be on "the list" just to get a better seat! :D Not meet the band! BTW, does the travel agent you may be booking through have a "package deal" with Amtrak as the transportation provider? Never hurts to ask.

Not sure it was ever made quite clear:

If you take the Texas Eagle --> Sunset Limited out of Dallas, you must go all the way in to Los Angeles Union Station, and then take a Surfliner or Metrolink commuter train out to Fullerton or Anaheim to go to Disneyland. There are quite a few trains on this line, so arrival time into LA should not affect you ability to catch a train to Fullerton / Anaheim.

George

How far away is Disneyland from the Anaheim or Fullerton stations?

Thanks
2-5 miles, depending on which station you are using.
Aloha

Gs got me curios because I thought the numbers two large, but close. I checked with my Deloreme Street Atlas 2008 and found out that Amtrak station to the Main gate Disneyland was; Anaheim 2.9 miles; Fullerton 12.15

Surprised me.

I also for the heck of it looked at Google earth and what it shows is how industrial the area around the park is. OH Well It is "the Happiest place on earth" and I get to visit it end of October, beginning of November, but I can't take a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back