Amtrak for the first time with a toddler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stinky Feet

Hey everyone, I'm hoping I'm putting this in the right spot. I had a few questions and wanted to see if I could get some of the resolved before calling Amtrak. Next month I intend to move out of state. It's just going to be me and my three year old daughter and the trip is est to be 40 hours long. I'm really tight on money (part of the reason for the move)so we are not getting a bedroom, just the seats, and I intend to bring my own food.

Okay, first up! The site says that everyone is allotted 2 carry on bags (not exceeding 50lbs) and 3 checked bags (not exceeding 50lbs). So does this mean my daughter can also bring 2 carry ons and 3 checked bags, making it a total of 4 carry ons and 6 checked bags? Also I wanted to bring her stroller and car seat (as these are things we will desperately need where we are going). Amtrak's site says that baby items like that are $5 a pop, do they count as a checked bag or is it an additional thing?

Next! I'm going to have a lot of luggage, plus the stroller, car seat, and my daughter. I honestly haven't the slightest clue on how I can carry everything from my ride to the train on my own. So how do I go about that? Are there people that can help me? If so who, where do I ask for them, and please tell me it doesn't cost money lol. Are there push carts I could maybe load everything onto?

This brings me to my last question. One time that I flew I had a layover, they just transferred my belongings in luggage from one plane to the next one without me having to do anything (aside from move my carry-ons). Are trains like that as well? Or will I have to go get all my luggage and take it to the next train? What about from the bus to the train? The way they have my schedule set up is a 1 hour bus ride to Orlando, FL - Transfer to a train for the ride from Orlando to Washington - then transfer to another train for the ride from Washington to Cleveland. Also I will be getting to Washington around 7am and the train to Cleveland doesn't leave till about 4pm, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Any additional tips is greatly appreciated! This is my first time on a train and I'm very nervous going alone with just my daughter. I want to find out as much as I can so I can be prepared. Thanks in advance everyone!

Check as much as possible.

The unofficial 'rule' is that if you can carry it, and it fits into the train without disturbing other passengers (e.g. being in the aisle), it's okay as carry-on.

At major stations (e.g. Washington, I don't know if Cleveland or Orlando have this) you can ask a Red Cap to help with your luggage. The usual tip (it's a tip service) is up to $5.

And yes, you will not have to transfer your checked bags in Washington or Orlando. That will be taken care of.

PS Enjoy Washington during your layover there, if you don't have too much luggage as carry on.

@Swadian: You could always just ask a mod to move the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either PM him/her (click on the envelope under the name) or just report the post (I don't know about the second option).

There are no Red caps in Orlando, but there are carts on which you can move your luggage. I do not know if you will have to deal with checked luggage at Orlando when transferring from the bus to the train. I would certainly talk to a ticket agent in Orlando and let him or her know that you may need assistance.

I hope you have a pleasant trip. I guess Florida will be losing 2 residents.

This is my first time on a train and I'm very nervous going alone with just my daughter. I want to find out as much as I can so I can be prepared. Thanks in advance everyone!
Most of the nuts and bolts have been covered. Check everything that you possibly can, and you won't have to deal with it until you get to Cleveland. Will someone be meeting you there that can help out?

Definitely take the time to enjoy Washington DC while you're there. You'll have all day, and there is tons of free stuff to do. Remember if you've checked something, you won't have access to it during the layover (so you may want to keep the stroller with you).

There is also a baggage room that will store bags for you during the day, but it costs a little bit of money. When will you be passing through (you don't have to give the exact date, just "soon" or "summer")? What day of the week? (some places are closed different days.

Most importantly, RELAX. I'm sure that the trip will go well, the train is a great way to travel. You'll find most folks to be very helpful and understanding.

Moderators: I think you were supposed to post this in the First-Time Rider Info section.
You think incorrectly. If you look at the forum, there are only 11 threads are for reference reading. You can't start a thread there. I'd suggest spending a little more time here before trying to play armchair moderator. ;)

There are no Red Caps in Cleveland, but of course your checked baggage will be taken inside the station for you to pickup. It is a bit of a walk up the platforms to the station at 3am so hoping you have someone there to pick you up at that time who might be able to help you get your things from the train. A person helping can walk out to the train platforms in CLE and help you carry things to a car, etc.

Welcome To Ohio :)

You think incorrectly. If you look at the forum, there are only 11 threads are for reference reading. You can't start a thread there. I'd suggest spending a little more time here before trying to play armchair moderator. ;)
Why do people keep thinking that I'm trying to act like a moderator? I'm NOT trying to be a moderator! :angry: :angry2:

Why do people keep thinking that I'm trying to act like a moderator? I'm NOT trying to be a moderator! :angry: :angry2:
Because this:

Moderators: I think you were supposed to post this in the First-Time Rider Info section.
is armchair moderating. ;)

Now, now, let us not be immoderate. (Sorry, just had to crack the pun.) Seriously: I hope the original poster has a wonderful time with her child. The other passengers will love the child, too, if the child refrains from stampeding up and down the aisle and kicking the seat back in front.

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to call them and see about the specifics.

We will be leaving April 4th, it's a Wednesday and was the cheapest day for that week. Yes a couple of friends will be meeting me when I get off at Cleveland to help.

Also, one more question. For checked baggage, the websites says no plastic containers, but could I use cardboard boxes? I'm trying to cut costs so I'm a bit reluctant to run out and buy a ton of suitcases (plus I have no idea what I would do with 6 suitcases afterwords), so I was wondering if I could just use boxes for my checked baggage. Also is there a specific dimension for checked baggage, or just not to exceed 50lbs?

Either PM him/her (click on the envelope under the name) or just report the post (I don't know about the second option).
We would prefer the first option. The second option should only be used to report major, must deal with immediately, issues. Things like a spam post or a major flame war, etc. Report this post should not be used for questions or minor issues, like a topic being out of place. Which by the way as an aside, this one is not out of place. It is precisely where it belongs.

Swadian,

Just as an FYI, the First Timer's Forum is the place for people to go first, so that perhaps they don't have to ask questions here. It is not the place to post questions that were not answered there and as someone else noted, they cannot post questions there. In order to post in that section one must be a member of the forum and have achieved at least "Training" status in order to even make a post in that forum.

CHECK as much as you can for free. While I don't recommend boxes in general, they will be a little better off, on a train, than on a plane. Tape them securely and try to include padding inside.

BRING onboard more snacks, drinks, plastic bags and cleaning wipes than you think you will need. You will not regret it!

Your little one will have a GREAT time on the train, and you will too! :D

Dear, uh, Stinky Feet (?),

A couple of add-on comments, though the bases have, indeed, been covered.

You talk about your "3-year-old daughter" — she has a ticket, right? She should (at half fare), but it is especially important here: the checked bags are per "ticketed passenger," not per human being aboard.

Here are 3 pieces of information that you may find helpful.

(1) Not only can any ticketed passenger check 3, 50-lb bags or boxes (yes, tape them securely, and reinforce the corners: they have to withstand rough treatment without bursting)... but each ticketed passenger may check three _additional_ pieces for $10 each.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

This means that, as a practical matter, you and your daughter can check a total of 12, 50-lb suitcases / cardboard boxes / duffle bags, 600 lbs of stuff, for a total charge of $60. Perhaps it is still time to call off the moving company?

But get to the station _early_, and have a copy of the web page printed out and in hand, just in case you get a new agent surprised at what you are doing.

(2) I hear you re the finances, and maybe even $60 is more than you want to pay, but here is a consideration, regarding whether a bag should be carried on or checked: you have that full day in Washington. As another poster mentioned, there is a left luggage room there. But it is ferociously expensive, the most expensive I have ever encountered. Far more than $10 / piece for the time you will be in DC.

So... as other posters have said, check everything you don't absolutely need on board the train through to Cleveland (yes, the railroad will transfer it for you — you don't touch it from Orlando to Cleveland), even if it puts you over your 3 piece / person limit. It cheaper than storing it in DC, and a lot more fun than sitting on top of a mound of stuff, trying to keep an eye on both it and your daughter for 7 hours.

Pull one of your girl's old diaper bags out of retirement, something you can hang off the back of the stroller, and use that as your carry-on for train things. Take the stroller aboard with you: it does not count as a carry-on (see 3, below). Then you can walk around in DC for the time you have there, using the stroller both for your little girl's fatigue, and to carry the carry-on around town. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for _your_ fatigue, but then, if you have a 3-year-old, you're used to it :-(

(3) As mentioned above, and if you are really trying to maximize baggage moved, baby items don't count in your carry-on allotment.

From Amtrak's web site concerning carry-ons (this page:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats...

Good luck with the move!

Nicolas Clifford

Okay, first up! The site says that everyone is allotted 2 carry on bags (not exceeding 50lbs) and 3 checked bags (not exceeding 50lbs). So does this mean my daughter can also bring 2 carry ons and 3 checked bags, making it a total of 4 carry ons and 6 checked bags? Also I wanted to bring her stroller and car seat (as these are things we will desperately need where we are going). Amtrak's site says that baby items like that are $5 a pop, do they count as a checked bag or is it an additional thing?
If you bought a ticket for your toddler, she is a person and is entitled to the same consideration as other persons.

As another poster said, CHECK what you can. You will have to carry those "carry-ons" to and from your seat. Help by Amtrak people varies. I've seen them just look at people with canes who have a bag that has to be lifted up to the coach car and I have seen them help people who could obviously do it themselves depending on the car attendant. They vary all over the map.

When my kids were toddlers, I made them not only carry their own stuff but carry my bags and sometimes carry me. Kids have it too easy these days. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back