Amtrak Fares Apparently Adjusted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
I say "adjusted" since there now appear to be cheaper fares as well!

Just was checking fares for a Black Friday trip to New York. It used to be that the lowest fare you'd see BAL-NYP on a regional was $64. Now to my suprise, its $61.

The cheapest fare for either BAL-RVM or BAL-PHL had previously been $40 - now its $37.

The next bucket up is priced at a dollar more for BAL-PHL: $53 instead of $52.

This sort of seems like a nice effect for the price sensitive and early planners like myself who actually save a few bucks. I assume that any increases increase incrementally in the higher fare buckets.

Have not checked the LD trains whose prices I can recall easily or sleeper buckets I can recall easily to see how these are affected, but I will and likely report back.

EDIT

Did a little more checking and for the most part, the fare changes are fairly modest. Did find a third bucket PHL-BAL fare that used to be $61 is now $64. (now making it 4 dollars CHEAPER for me to book the Crescent or Silver Meteor back from Philly and then BUY another Amtrak ticket from WAS to BAL.)

I can see my rides on the Pennsylvanian may have ended however, Amtrak totally disrupted the hiccup that priced a BAL-PHL-PGH ticket as low as $42 - the lowest is now $82 for the same ticket - the BAL-WAS-PGH ride via the CL is still as low as $45 though.

Sleeper fares appear untouched - the low bucket on the Capitol Limited WAS-CHI is still $114 for a Roomette. phew!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just booked a trip I plan for next May from Arizona to New York and Washington and back, booking sleepers for the second night of each trip. I had it in the Saved Plans, originally for 967. ( this will be my splurge for 2008. ) Then several days ago I checked it and the fare was lowered to $889.20. Today, I decided to actually book it, but it had gone back up to $896.40. I now have it frozen in stone! I look forward to that trip, and will be taking another one ( coach ) in three weeks from Williams Jct., AZ to San Francisco and will write a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back