Amtrak F40.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
battalion51 said:
Portland does must however have the ability to do 1000 mile inspections and that sort of thing. Every major terminal (even some small ones like Portland) must be able to do quick repairs and 1000 mile inspections, as it would be too much of a pain to send it down to South Hampton for those small things.
1000 mile inspections don't make sense to me? The Sunset Limited travels over 2500 miles before it reaches any maintenence facility (Sanford or Los Angeles). Many other trains break the 1000 mile mark before reaching their final destination too. I know from being in Portland that what I saw was a little crew trailer for conductors and engineers and then a small storage yard. No maintenence facility in sight. Though a small hassle to sned equipment from the Northside to the Southside, what's needs doing will be done.

The 1000 mile is designed to make sure that integral equipment is in proper working order. While the Sunnyset does traverse 2700 miles, it changes power in NOUPT, and recieves a 1000 mile again in SAS. All trains MUST recieve the 1000 mile every 1000 miles or so. The 1000 mile is built into dwell time, and typically occurs at crew chenge points. Items that are checked in the 1000 mile include: headlights (high and low setting), ditch, markers (where applicable), Cab Signals (where applicable), computer functions, circuit breaker checks, and a whole bunch of other stuff. These are mandated by the FRA to ensure that the unit is functioning properly, and that it is to safety code. The train is not to be released until the train gets the 1000 mile.

battalion51 said:
The 1000 mile is designed to make sure that integral equipment is in proper working order. While the Sunnyset does traverse 2700 miles, it changes power in NOUPT, and recieves a 1000 mile again in SAS. All trains MUST recieve the 1000 mile every 1000 miles or so. The 1000 mile is built into dwell time, and typically occurs at crew chenge points. Items that are checked in the 1000 mile include: headlights (high and low setting), ditch, markers (where applicable), Cab Signals (where applicable), computer functions, circuit breaker checks, and a whole bunch of other stuff. These are mandated by the FRA to ensure that the unit is functioning properly, and that it is to safety code. The train is not to be released until the train gets the 1000 mile.
That makes a little more sense and something like that can be done in Portland I would guess. Anything that requires fixing or repairs has to go to South Hampton though (though I'm sure a headlight bulb can be replaced in POR).

The F40's were once the workhorse of the Springfield line, just as they were for the rest of the system (except the NEC south of New Haven). The line is now dominated like most others by P-42's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back