Amtrak Express Shipping Rates/Rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
I'm wondering what these rates are like and/or how they compare to UPS/USPS/FedEx. When it comes to receiving packages, I have no problem running down to my local station to pick something up (it's actually more convenient than FedEx delivery, etc., and NPN does handle checked baggage courtesy of 66/67 IIRC)...so what do shipping times and rates tend to look like on this front? Thanks!

You know, it is interesting that AMTRAK doesn't really push that service and do some advertising blitzes and maybe team up with FEDEX and UPS more...... especially now when revenue is so critical.....
mellow.gif

I'm surprised that they don't do anything with it. I get the issues with attaching freight cars to LD trains and so forth, but it would at least be a decent use of spare space in baggage cars (which I'm pretty sure isn't lacking).

I didn't even know they still offered the service... The big problem is that it is only available between stations with checked baggage, and there are not many of those.

It could still be a link between distribution centers for FEDEX and UPS......I would think the cost per pound would be much less than an airplane or OTR truck....

Anderson -

I don't think NPN is staffed for checked baggage. Timetable doesn't indicate that it accepts bags either.

Stopped by the station a few weeks ago and asked about it and was told no checked bags to/from NPN by the station lady.

Blue skies,

Sky Pilot

Edited to fix typo

Last edited by a moderator:
An untimely update.

I am looking into doing this myself in two situations, 1) to move some stuff out of my parents' attic 2) beat the airline checked baggage fees. It looks like an option for heavier shipments only. I was told that for PHL-MSP it is $55 for the first 100 pounds and for each pouind over it is an additional 52 cents. Limit of 50 pounds per box and 500 pound limit per day. The number of boxes does not matter other than driving up the weight with shipping materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back