Amtrak eTicket questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnB

Train Attendant
These questions probably lie right on the cusp of being "dumb" ones, but . . . . . .

I am taking a round trip Bos-DFB leaving BOS on 29 Jan and returning from DFB on 12 Feb (with a nice little cruise in between :p ). I was issued and have printed my eTicket. It lists the reservation number and has one of those scannable code things (can you tell, I am not very tech savvy?). This is also my first Amtrak trip in 20+ years.

However, I do not have a clue as to how it works. On the face of the ticket are the words "PRESENT THIS DOCUMENT FOR TRAVEL". My question is simply to whom do I present the document? Ticket agent? Kiosk at South Station? Train attendant?

2nd question. Is this the same document I need to use for all segments of the trip? Or will I be issued something further.

I have flown using e-tickets, but had to do something at both the start and return points (print a boarding pass).

Thank you.

John.

These questions probably lie right on the cusp of being "dumb" ones, but . . . . . .
I am taking a round trip Bos-DFB leaving BOS on 29 Jan and returning from DFB on 12 Feb (with a nice little cruise in between :p ). I was issued and have printed my eTicket. It lists the reservation number and has one of those scannable code things (can you tell, I am not very tech savvy?). This is also my first Amtrak trip in 20+ years.

However, I do not have a clue as to how it works. On the face of the ticket are the words "PRESENT THIS DOCUMENT FOR TRAVEL". My question is simply to whom do I present the document? Ticket agent? Kiosk at South Station? Train attendant?

2nd question. Is this the same document I need to use for all segments of the trip? Or will I be issued something further.

I have flown using e-tickets, but had to do something at both the start and return points (print a boarding pass).

Thank you.

John.
John,

Just show that document to the conductor on the train. The conductor will scan the code, and that is that. You can use the same document for all the segments of your reservation. If you lose it, just print another, print one at a station kiosk, or have an agent to print one.

Engineer

Nothing against the OP. But we'll be getting this question a lot. It's popped up in the past week several times. Can we possible put a topic like this in the FAQ's forum?
Thanks for the gentle reminder. I didn't even think of using that most basic of forum tools - the search feature. :unsure:

I did after I read your reply, found the answer real quick.

DocJohnB, are you taking sleeper or coach from NYP - DFB? I ask just because if you are taking a sleeper, you are allowed to use the Club Acela in BOS to wait for your regional or acela to NYP.

DocJohnB, are you taking sleeper or coach from NYP - DFB? I ask just because if you are taking a sleeper, you are allowed to use the Club Acela in BOS to wait for your regional or acela to NYP.
Yes, he indicated in another topic that he was traveling in a sleeper. Which will indeed mean that he's entitled to us the First Class waiting lounges or Club Acela's in both Boston & NY.

As Alan said, I am taking a sleeper. And I plan to use the facilities in both Boston and NY.

Doc,

Just in case:

In Boston the lounge is actually upstairs above the ticket windows, the door is to the left of the windows and to the right of an information kiosk. There is a small doorbell to the right of the door. Just show your tickets to the attendant at the desk and you're in. They will announce when your train is ready.

The lounge in NY can be found to the far left of the NJ Transit ticket windows as you face them, when standing in the Amtrak concourse which is on the 8th Avenue side of the station. Walk past the West Gate for tracks 7 & 8 on the left side of the escalator and you will see a sign on the corner of the wall. There is a doorbell to the left of two gold doors. Ring the bell and wait for the click to open the door. Note: In NY there is no pre-boarding ahead of the regular passengers, but they usually do announce your train in the lounge before they announce it in the main station. This means if you don’t dilly-dally, you can generally be near the head of the line at the escalator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back