Amtrak Enhancement Kit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
In six weeks our trip to Arizona commences and I'm counting the days :) . In addition to my wife and I, my three sisters and thier husbands will be making the trip. This is the first Amtrak trip for any of them. My wife suggested we prepare an Amtrak Survival (I mean Enhancement :rolleyes: ) Kit for them. I have some ideas on what to include and am curious as to what you think should be included. As always I look forward to your input!

Sleeper or coach, and where are you going to and from-- we'll customize your "Enhancement" kit with that information.

A portable DVD player, and a good collection of your favorite DVD's.

An extension cord, preferably with a multi-tapped outlet end.

Splenda or Equal, if you use such.

Small change ($1's and $5's) for tips.

A portable DVD player, and a good collection of your favorite DVD's.
An extension cord, preferably with a multi-tapped outlet end.

Splenda or Equal, if you use such.

blankets(the cars can get cold)

snacks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeper or coach, and where are you going to and from-- we'll customize your "Enhancement" kit with that information.
I forgot to include this important information. Sorry!

We are leaving BWI on a Northeast Regional, the CL from WAS to CHI and then the SWC to FLG. Three of us have bedrooms and one has roomette! Thanks!

No need for blankets if one is in a sleeper, just ask the attendant for an extra one if needed.

That said, a light jacket or sweater might would be a good idea for the daylight hours, as temps in the rooms can vary.

I would bring a few snacks to eat in the in between times just to have something to munch on. DISCLAIMER: I am a teenager so I am always hungry :D but I would still bring a few things to eat. Since your of legal age you can bring your own sprits aboard and celebrate Amtrak!

excellent idea. several times i have run out of small bills for tips (then i make the kids leave the tip as they complain all they ever have are small bills). make sure you have batteries or charger or whatever you need for your camera. a book or two and maybe a rail guide.
I brought a bunch of $2 bills. The service staff remembers you better when you use them (or so I think).

In six weeks our trip to Arizona commences and I'm counting the days :) . In addition to my wife and I, my three sisters and thier husbands will be making the trip. This is the first Amtrak trip for any of them. My wife suggested we prepare an Amtrak Survival (I mean Enhancement :rolleyes: ) Kit for them. I have some ideas on what to include and am curious as to what you think should be included. As always I look forward to your input!

Duct tape

No need for blankets if one is in a sleeper, just ask the attendant for an extra one if needed.

That said, a light jacket or sweater might would be a good idea for the daylight hours, as temps in the rooms can vary.
I have had an attendant tell me that there were no extra blankets (and this was a pretty nice sleeper attendant as well) so its not always a given.

Being British, I always bring a small kettle and english tea bags, to get a decent cuppa (providing I am in a roomette). I always miss fresh food, so I take some apples and oranges, as well as chocolate (imported!). Being a bit thin on top, or bald as some might say, I find a wool beany type hat good to ward off the chill of the air con when in coach. I have a few plastic bulldog clips, and elastic bands, and sticky tape somewhere in my bag too.

Someone mentioned $2 bills, was that a joke, I have never seen any in my trips over there?

Ed B)

Being British, I always bring a small kettle and english tea bags, to get a decent cuppa (providing I am in a roomette). I always miss fresh food, so I take some apples and oranges, as well as chocolate (imported!). Being a bit thin on top, or bald as some might say, I find a wool beany type hat good to ward off the chill of the air con when in coach. I have a few plastic bulldog clips, and elastic bands, and sticky tape somewhere in my bag too.
Someone mentioned $2 bills, was that a joke, I have never seen any in my trips over there?

Ed B)
They are around but not used very much. I have one in my wallet that I got as change don't plan on spending it. They are pretty neat just not widely used.

Nope, not a joke. We do have two dollar bills, but they aren't very common over here and rarely seen in general currency exchanges. One has to visit a bank normally and request them, if one wants them.

That's why AAARGH mentioned that they stand out with the crew and that they tend to remember passengers because of them, since it's rare to see a $2 bill.

Ed B)
Two dollar bills are rare-- but they are in circulation and are legal tender.

As for a survival pack: Bring your favorite beer or a bottle of wine. That always "enhances" the experience. In sleepers it isn't as bad, but sometimes the headrests on the seats on Western trains can get a little funk after a day so a bottle of Fabreeze isn't a half-bad idea. If you have a laptop, bring it. You can play music, watch DVDs and of course, make excellent trip reports! You can also hook it up to a camera and edit photos en route-- but you HAVE to bring a camera!

Nope, not a joke. We do have two dollar bills, but they aren't very common over here and rarely seen in general currency exchanges. One has to visit a bank normally and request them, if one wants them.

That's why AAARGH mentioned that they stand out with the crew and that they tend to remember passengers because of them, since it's rare to see a $2 bill.
On my trip out West i am going to take a $20 to my bank beforehand and exchange it for 10 $2 bills. I like to tip the SCA every time s/he makes my bed, converts it back, or provides rooms service or such.

I know I'm cheap, but I don't tip well in general. Trains are actually where I am most generous because I am in a good mood.

Exactly!

Exactly!
I always thought it was a myth... does it get you better service or anything? Do they actually remember you as "the two-dollar bill guy" ?

Exactly!
I always thought it was a myth... does it get you better service or anything? Do they actually remember you as "the two-dollar bill guy" ?
Well, I have not had bad service, but in reality I don't think it makes too much difference. But I can't be sure of that. It's not like I'm going to ask them "did you give me better service because I left you $2 bills last night? :huh:

I travel with my twin brother, and I think that is more memorable than the $2 bills.

Exactly!
Well, I have not had bad service, but in reality I don't think it makes too much difference. But I can't be sure of that. It's not like I'm going to ask them "did you give me better service because I left you $2 bills last night? :huh:

I travel with my twin brother, and I think that is more memorable than the $2 bills.
Boy, you should probably bring along double mint gum too, just for the heck of it. :lol:

Exactly!

Boy, you should probably bring along double mint gum too, just for the heck of it. :lol:
And wearing matching pieces t-shirts.

Earplugs, definitely and make sure you get the good ones (wich will reduce the noise level for more than 30 db)

As you are quite a few people : a deck of playing cards.

I wouldn't bring a DVD-player with me, that's not exactly what trains are made for, as they have the movie right outside.

(call me nuts but I found interesting even the landscapes of North Dakota)

Being British, I always bring a small kettle and english tea bags, to get a decent cuppa (providing I am in a roomette).
Just to mention, there is self-service coffee, hot teas, bottled water, orange juice, and apple juice in each sleeper car. Well, usually.

MMMMMM Earl Grey! You may want to bring some biscuits (right word?) to go with your tea.

I agree you should bring your own tea bags. That way you have the brand & blend you prefer.

Some clothespins or safety pins to help keep the curtains closed.

Maybe thank-you cards for the staff if you want.

Hand sanitizer.

You can print out the Route Guides from Amtrak.com (click on Routes, then the train)

Small board games?

Bring your sense of adventure!! Enjoy your trip! And welcome to the board!

I recommend bringing some reading material, perhaps some travel guides describing highlights along the trip. Consider those small hiker head lamps for reading at night. If folks are into tunes, iPod, MP3 and charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back