amtrak employment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

superchief

how does one go about becoming a conductor or lounge car attendant? i want to work for amtrak but dont have railroad experience and dont want to be stuck washing dishes in the dining car.

how does one go about becoming a conductor or lounge car attendant? i want to work for amtrak but dont have railroad experience and dont want to be stuck washing dishes in the dining car.
I would like a job as well with Amtrak but I need to know how to submit my resume and look at available positions please advise.

How about applying for a position as an Amtrak Police Officer I heard they're only excepting Police officers already Commissioned or Mp's from the Military. I'm Prior Service too that served in Desert Storm on board an Amphibious SHip as a Radio Communications Operator do I have a chance I did 4 years from 87 - 91

Don't worry about washing dishes unless you catch the Empire Builder~ all the plates and cups are disposable.

Silverware is about the only thing left to wash. Just remember that on board crews stay on board for most of or all of a long distance journey wheras the train crew (conductor, engineer, fireman and asst. conductor)change crews about every 6-8 hours. For example if you catch the City of New Orleans as a lounge car attendant you go all the way to Chicago and return the same night after arriving that morning. The trainmen change in Greenwood, MS and the engineer changes in Jackson, MS The reason for the difference in changing points is that the engineer cannot work alone for over 6 hours without a fireman. The train crew returns home the next day; a full day ahead of the on board crew.

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to all. I too am interested in a position for lounge attendant. My question is everyone i look there is no jobs avail. anyone with any idea when job opening will be avail ? i am willing to travel . Please help with any info. thank you

On a couple of different trips, separated by a few years, a number of train attendants I spoke with told me that they had gotten their job through family connections - an uncle, or parent - who already was employed by Amtrak. On my last trip (LSL/CZ BOS-EMY roundtrip in Nov 08) a nice young woman who had been working for 6 months told me that her understanding was, anyone could apply but that the large majority of successful applicants already had a family member working for Amtrak.

Does anyone else have similar stories?

David

Just remember that on board crews stay on board for most of or all of a long distance journey wheras the train crew (conductor, engineer, fireman and asst. conductor)change crews about every 6-8 hours.
Not to get too OT, but what exactly does a fireman do (in a railroad context)? I'm familiar with the position's origin in the time of steam trains, but I don't see what their responsibilities would be in a modern day setting. Does Amtrak employ firemen (as your post implies)? What trains are they on? I train I ride with most frequency in the Vermonter, and I'm pretty sure that the only four people on board are the conductor, assistant conductor, cafe car attendant and the engineer. But perhaps I'm wrong.

On a couple of different trips, separated by a few years, a number of train attendants I spoke with told me that they had gotten their job through family connections - an uncle, or parent - who already was employed by Amtrak. On my last trip (LSL/CZ BOS-EMY roundtrip in Nov 08) a nice young woman who had been working for 6 months told me that her understanding was, anyone could apply but that the large majority of successful applicants already had a family member working for Amtrak.

David

When I hired out with Amtrak, there was none of my family or really close friends who worked for Amtrak. But it probably helped that I had a couple of ticket agents (one of which who I met when I was about 13yo) who I had become well acquainted with a few years prior along with the management experience I had in my current career at the time. With their permission, I had their names listed as references on my resume.

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that on board crews stay on board for most of or all of a long distance journey wheras the train crew (conductor, engineer, fireman and asst. conductor)change crews about every 6-8 hours.
Not to get too OT, but what exactly does a fireman do (in a railroad context)? I'm familiar with the position's origin in the time of steam trains, but I don't see what their responsibilities would be in a modern day setting. Does Amtrak employ firemen (as your post implies)? What trains are they on? I train I ride with most frequency in the Vermonter, and I'm pretty sure that the only four people on board are the conductor, assistant conductor, cafe car attendant and the engineer. But perhaps I'm wrong.
These days the fireman is known as the assistant engineer, though we still call them the "fireman" in railroad terms. Anymore, Amtrak tries not to have a fireman position on any train unless they can't get out out of it due to certain restrictions involved. They would much rather have just one person up in the locomotive. OTOH, I believe it it safer to have that second set of eyes up on the head end in the cases of passenger service where the conductor and the flagman (assistant conductor) ride in the rear of the train. In freight it really doesn't matter anymore as the engineer, conductor, and brakeman (if they let us have one them) all ride in the locomotive cab.

OBS gone freight...

anyone could apply but that the large majority of successful applicants already had a family member working for Amtrak.

David

I really don't think this is true. In fact, the Amtrak hiring process emphasizes family connections, seemingly in an effort to make sure that one's family affiliation doesn't result in an unfair hiring process.

As far as lounge attendants go, here in Boston there were four positions posted over the past month. I saw it on jobs.amtrak.com. I think the best strategy is to check that site often and send in a resume...

anyone could apply but that the large majority of successful applicants already had a family member working for Amtrak.

David

I really don't think this is true. In fact, the Amtrak hiring process emphasizes family connections, seemingly in an effort to make sure that one's family affiliation doesn't result in an unfair hiring process.

As far as lounge attendants go, here in Boston there were four positions posted over the past month. I saw it on jobs.amtrak.com. I think the best strategy is to check that site often and send in a resume...
Of course this works best if you live in one of the major hub cities, BOS, NYC, WAS, CHI, ect.

I was a LSA for less than a year. It's more difficult than you can probably imagine. I don't mean to be negative or discouraging...just realistic. I was enamored with the thought of a job on a train. It wasn't so enjoyable. I welcome any job seekers with questions to message me privately. I don't want to bore the regulars with my old stories! :)

As for getting the job, I believe I saw an ad at Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com. Can't remember which one. I had no connections to the railroad whatsoever. I followed whatever instructions were given. I believe I mailed in a cover letter and resume. I didn't hear anything for about 2 months or so. Then it was a lengthy process to be accepted for the 4 week classroom training...which you have to "pass" to get the job and move on to a few training trips. It also does help as others have said to live close to a crew base. There were employees who traveled long distances for the job. I trained with a guy who worked out of the Chicago crew base, but lived outside of Pittsburgh! There were plenty of others that did the same. Can't do that on the extra board I don't think...since you have to be available in 2 hours if called upon.

I don't want to bore the regulars with my old stories! :)
I'm not sure that's possible. Short of actually taking trips, most railfans consider reading about other's trips to be the next best thing. :)
I have been trying to get hired with amtrak for a year now. I was able to get an interview with them this date last year, but was not offered a position. Afterwards I've been applying for whatever positions that I thought I would be qualified for. I have over 9 years experience with a class I railroad,over 3 of those years as a locomotive engineer. I sent resume, after resume, etc . I have not received a call only a few letters saying the positions were canceled. Is there some kind of secret to getting a job with amtrak or am I doing something wrong.

Last edited:
When sending in a resume, I wouldn't make any mention in the accompanying cover letter any indication of being a railfan or affiliation with any related organizations. It's unfair, and sad to say, but some hiring officers would not consider such enthusiasm as favorable towards being an employee, as certain stereotype railfans might be too distracted to perform their required duties.

That's crazy because a company should want to hire someone with experience instead of hiring someone with no experience at all. If that's the case, then they have a poor hiring process and needs to be changed.

That's crazy because a company should want to hire someone with experience instead of hiring someone with no experience at all. If that's the case, then they have a poor hiring process and needs to be changed.
Well mentioning your experience at other RR's is fine, what he was trying to say was don't mention being a railfan. I note that you never said that you were one, but if you are then I would keep that a secret.

No response, I guess I'll have to figure it out for myself. If anybody else has any suggestions feel free to reply. Don't be scared!

Well mentioning your experience at other RR's is fine, what he was trying to say was don't mention being a railfan. I note that you never said that you were one, but if you are then I would keep that a secret.
That's right, having railroad, or other transportation or customer service experience is definetly a plus, while being a "hard-core" enthusiast could be a minus.

I've also heard Amtrak will sometimes hire fresh people with no railroad experience at all. Therefore you aren't set in your ways and your previous companies culture and bringing that to your next company. I've never heard that this is actually the case with railroad employees, but heard sometimes this might be the case.

I've also heard Amtrak will sometimes hire fresh people with no railroad experience at all. Therefore you aren't set in your ways and your previous companies culture and bringing that to your next company. I've never heard that this is actually the case with railroad employees, but heard sometimes this might be the case.
That's a valid point, also. I wonder if Amtrak's HR department has a general policy on this, or is it just left to the leanings of the local recruiting officers? Maybe it's a little of both, depending on the position being filled......no experience preferred for direct customer service, and high experience preferred for certain skill positions such as electrician, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they interviewed you once and looked at your original resume, there may be something they saw that made them not be interested in you. We have no way of knowing this for sure, but you have to consider this, too. In this day and age an employer has to be careful what they say to perspective employees and you may never know why they aren't considering you for employment. Just some thoughts.

I was OBS for three and a half years back in the late 70's early 80's. I applies directly out of HS, and didn't hear a thing. (via mail back then, cover letter resume..) Was applying at Chicago Crew Base. Next summer they called, I took the Wolverine, or St. Claire or some such train to Chicago for the interview.

I had read about "foamers" being black-listed, (there are reasons) but wore my "Amtrak-Red Blazer" anyway, along with (uggh, I can't believe I did this) an Amtrak tie.

I interviewed at the old Santa Fe commissary, somewhere south of CUS. I told them I had planned to continue my education in business, and marketing, with a major in transportation. (hard to do back then, except for airline-specific fields)

I distinctly remember John (last name escapes me) asking during the interview, "What do you think the hardest thing about being a dining car waiter is?" I thought for a moment, and came up with some long-winded expectation about "satisfying the customer, even when presented with difficult situations, blah, blah, blah...."

Haha, he said, "No son, the most difficult part of the job for a dining car waiter is KEEPING YOUR BALANCE WITH A TRAY OF FOOD..........." Talk about reality!

Needless to say I was hired. Started out about $8.50 per hour. (As a WAITER!) I never did spend a paycheck that summer, lived totally off tips, on the extra board, taking every train I could outa CUS.

Now, TODAY. How do you get an interview. And THAT's what your GOAL should be, an INTERVIEW. NOT the job. You just need an INTERVIEW. Today it's both harder an easier. Both due to the internet.

By far an away, the SINGLE BEST METHOD ON EARTH TO GET AN INTERVIEW is from your REFERENCES. Since you DID work in the RR industry, go back to EVERY SINGLE person you know who is still in the industry, and ask them, "Hey I'm trying to get an INTERVIEW with Amtrak, who DO YOU KNOW who might be able to help me get an appointment?"

Getting an INTERVIEW has NOTHING to do with what you know, or what your skill set is, (a generalization for sure, but unless specific skills are required-engineer, accountant, nuclear physicist, etc., etc. it's ALL ABOUT YOUR CONNECTIONS.)

Connections come from every walk of life. You'd be shocked who you know, who knows someone else, who knows someone in the industry, who knows someone at Amtrak.

As far as the "RailFan" image goes, I'd DEF keep in on the down low. The train Gods must have smiled at me for getting hired. But over the years I talked to dozens of Amtrak staff, both local and at corporate. And for some strange reason, there still exist an culture of not hiring a "fan". Why. Start another post. I think the active AU'ers could give u enuff reasons to fill a hopper car.

Good luck. Don't give up. And remember. CONTACTS, CONTACTS, CONTACTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back