Amtrak Employees & Government Shutdown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, John Gotti reputedly tipped his SCA on the Meteor $100 each way...so apparently it isn't unheard of...;-)

All of this talk reminds me of why I wish that we lived in a non-tipping society.  Trust me, the service in Japan is great even with no tipping.  Pay someone a fair wage and hold them to reasonable standards.  
I don't have a problem with tipping, especially since wages aren't necessarily "fair" for some jobs.  When I'm out at a diner, I have a minimum tip, even if 20% of the bill would be less than that minimum.  I do understand the Japanese philosophy on tipping and why it's discouraged... unless it is for an extraordinary service.  I also would be very concerned with receiving a "larger than usual" tip as I'd wonder if there was ever an expectation of "extra service..."  perhaps services that were illegal or out of policy.   All the more reason to question it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost. I’d say the Auto Train is different than a 2 day trip on the Zephyr, for instance.  I think that could be a reason to tip differently on such a trip?
Agreed.  In this case, I'm thinking $10.00/night or thereabouts.   So, $20.00 for the CZ or SWC.  Maybe $30.00 for the EB or SL (or TE), assuming a full ride on each.  Do these service crews ride the full route as they do on the AutoTrain? 

Ps: I’m the one hijacking the thread and there is no need to defend yourself. I think we’re just interested in your perspective.  After all, tipping is in the eye of the beholder. It is an art, not a science.
See my post to VTTrain, above, then.   :)

The point is your standards are irrelevant, what matters is what is usual and customary for a SCA.  
And $100.00 per one way trip is "usual and customary?"   Even you said so yourself... that it was "larger than usual..."    Of course, I would question it, for all the reasons previously stated.

After being told several times that the tip doesn't rise to the level of something that an SCA should be expected to question,
Your opinion, sir.. not mine.  In all the times I rode the AutoTrain and watched the SCA being tipped, I never saw a Franklin change hands... never.

you persist in "defending yourself" against the forces of logic and reason, rather than just simply learn something and carry on with your life.
Logic and reason?   "Your" logic and reason has a few holes in it, IMHO.  Again, better to agree to disagree and, as you say,  "carry on with life."  

Well, John Gotti reputedly tipped his SCA on the Meteor $100 each way...so apparently it isn't unheard of...;-)
Pecisely the point.... What would John Gotti expect of me for offering that tip, the next time he took my train? Or the next time one of "his" might ride with me?

1) You keep using the phrase "beyond my means". Not that it's any of your business, but $100 is not beyond his means. Just because $10 is a comfortable tip for you (and that's fine), that doesn't mean others can't afford to tip more.

2) Some people overtip during the holidays. It's a "thank you" for working during a time most people would rather be home with their families and/or friends. Plus, people in customer service tend to encounter some of the grumpiest, most entitled people during holidays. When I traveled with him, that was not an unusual "holiday" tip for us. Did you miss the part where I said he's a generous person by default? That also means he doesn't use a tip as a "bribe". He usually tips at the end of a trip, but he chose to thank the car attendants in advance this time.

3) Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but it was a 2-day trip (each direction).

4) Questioning a tip is rude. I've never done it, especially when it was close to Christmas. I just said an extremely genuine, grateful "thank you" and moved on with my shift.

5) It wasn't a Benjamin. It was five Jacksons.

Apparently the question about Amtrak employees and the Government shutdown has been answered and the comments are now discussing the generic topic of tipping.  We are locking this discussion at this time.  Any further tipping comments may be made in the AU Lounge.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back