Amtrak Dome on #21/#421

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
:hi: Per a notice and small pic on yesterdays trainorders, Whoozs' personal car is attached to the Eagle/Sunset that left CHI for LAX yesterday 11/20. Those of us that live along this route will be able to see it. Those that are photographers may be able to snag a pic or two and perhaps post them here! :help:

The only bad news is that since this train runs Superliner equipment the Dome has to be run hooked to the transdorm on the froont of the train to enable access, therefore no access to revenue pax or on the rear where you also can't access it! :angry: My guess is that it is being deadheaded back to Cali so Whooz doesnt have to be sedated and hauled away to the home! :giggle:

:hi: Per a notice and small pic on yesterdays trainorders, Whoozs' personal car is attached to the Eagle/Sunset that left CHI for LAX yesterday 11/20. Those of us that live along this route will be able to see it. Those that are photographers may be able to snag a pic or two and perhaps post them here! :help:

The only bad news is that since this train runs Superliner equipment the Dome has to be run hooked to the transdorm on the froont of the train to enable access, therefore no access to revenue pax or on the rear where you also can't access it! :angry: My guess is that it is being deadheaded back to Cali so Whooz doesnt have to be sedated and hauled away to the home! :giggle:
Actually this was not the Amtrak dome, but a Rio Grande Scenic RR (They run in Colorado out of Alamosa over LaVeta Pass)Dome car- same kind of car and similar appearance but different owner.

:blush: My bad, thanks for the correction! :hi: Wonder where it's actually going to?? Amtrak gives out Information like stuff like this about as well as the Secret service does Presidential travel! ;)

I saw the southbound Texas Chief on Saturday as it breezed through Steger, IL on the ex-C&EI reroute. The car in question is the Sierra Pacific full-length dome, which looks exactly like Amtrak's Ocean View. The Sierra Pacific car was on the end of the Texas Chief, so I would imagine it was a charter move with passengers (perhaps to catch the rare mileage reroute.)

Amtrak's Great Dome (Ocean View) has been back in LAX for nearly a week now. It arrived into Chicago last Saturday (11/13) on the Cardinal #51 -- and left Chicago for Los Angeles on the Southwest Chief #3 that left Chicago on Sunday (11/14)... arriving into LAX on Tuesday (11/16) morning.

So, I doubt that is what you saw.

The Great Dome has or had a fall colors wrap on it...

I rode it on both trips it made on the Cardinal and have some pictures up on my website (rtabern.shutterfly.com).

:blush: My bad, thanks for the correction! :hi: Wonder where it's actually going to?? Amtrak gives out Information like stuff like this about as well as the Secret service does Presidential travel! ;)
First, I'm not sure why Amtrak should have to give out info on someone's private dome being hauled by them. They're just the contractor.

Second, I'm not sure that all the owners of private cars would want Amtrak to giving out such info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back