Amtrak Dining and Cafe service 2023 H2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could get a steak dinner at the Texas Roadhouse with two sides, etc. for my whole family for $50 a few years ago. Now, even when we go out for dinner, even at cheap places, we are always seeming to spend $100. Remember, we had almost 10% inflation last year, and even in the years before when inflation was less, 3% a year compunded yearly starts adding up.
The Cafe prices have not increased much. The cafe burger has gone up $1 in the past 5 or so years.

Again.. if this is because of staffing issues, which it might be, then it makes sense and I get it. But it's still a major downgrade for coach passengers to not have what I consider to be an affordable dining car meal.

($23 + $3.50 + $2.25 = $28.75 for salmon, side salad, and drink. That's way closer to my definition of affordable.).

Again.. if this is because of staffing issues, which it might be, then it makes sense and I get it. But it's still a major downgrade for coach passengers to not have what I consider to be an affordable dining car.
I think this is kind of an example of perfect being the enemy of good. When they brought back traditional dining it was done in a way to provide a bit of a higher end all inclusive experience to sleeper passengers than before the pandemic. Amtrak is certainly not the only outfit to offer all inclusive meal packages. There appeared to be significant consideration within Amtrak to keep the dining car an exclusive amenity for sleeping car passengers - and Amtrak was not obligated to open it back up to coach. Coach fares on long haul trains are rather subsidized and they really have no obligation to subsidize table service dining for these same passengers. A significant amount of advocacy efforts and pushing resulted in the opening up of the “reimagined” traditional dining up to coach. Sometimes one needs to take a victory and move on to the next fight - the result is never going to be perfect and there are always going to be some people that are not happy. But there seems a reasonable balance now - a higher end diner experience for those in sleeper - an opportunity for coach passengers to participate if they wish, and more affordable options in the cafe for those who don’t wish to pay that price. The diner is an expensive amenity to provide - I really don’t have much of a problem with them charging cost based prices to admit coach passengers. Coach passengers are not entitled to a cheap meal in the diner.

I think this is kind of an example of perfect being the enemy of good. When they brought back traditional dining it was done in a way to provide a bit of a higher end all inclusive experience to sleeper passengers than before the pandemic.
I don't remember that being advertised and what is currently being offered isn't significantly different than traditional dining in the past. They still haven't gotten to where they were during the "chef inspired" meals of about 10 years ago (how time flies!) - those were honestly the best meals I've had on any train I think.

There appeared to be significant consideration within Amtrak to keep the dining car an exclusive amenity for sleeping car passengers - and Amtrak was not obligated to open it back up to coach.
I don't remember hearing this... I thought it was all due to Covid issues because they had to space out customers in the diner AND they had reduced staff on board. But I could be wrong.
Coach fares on long haul trains are rather subsidized and they really have no obligation to subsidize table service dining for these same passengers.
The same can be said for sleeping car passengers.

Sometimes one needs to take a victory and move on to the next fight - the result is never going to be perfect and there are always going to be some people that are not happy.
I don't see the victory in the fact that when I travel coach I now have to pay double what I used to pay to eat in the dining car. ($20 Breakfast, $25 Lunch, $45 Dinner is literally double what I previously paid for those meals usually). The dining car used to be an amenity for ALL passengers and at these prices, it's really not an affordable option in my opinion or in comparison with previous prices.

a higher end diner experience for those in sleeper
What makes it a higher-end diner experience?

Also.. internet tone is tricky.. I'm not at all trying to argue with you here - just trying to continue this discussion based on my experiences as a long distance train rider. I will say this... I wish that VIA Rail offered a $45 (US or CAN! lol) dinner option because I would have LOVED to eat in their diner last month when I took the Canadian. So I'll give Amtrak a thumbs up because an option is better than no option!

Question on the set meal pricing - does this enable fewer employees? For example, since the LSA doesn't have to handle checks does that free them up to act as a waiter for a couple tables so there is one less employee per dining car?

Because that makes sense.

If we have the same number of employees but fewer options for affordable dining car service something is wrong.

For comparison - you could get a Steak dinner with baked potato and a side salad and a glass of water on Amtrak for $28.50 a few years ago. Now dinner on Amtrak is $45... that's a VERY significant increase.
That $45 fee gets you an appetizer Alcoholic beverage and dessert. The $28.50 didn’t include those extras.

What makes it a higher-end diner experience?

The presentation and prep of just about all the dinner options is significantly spruced up and more restaurant like from what they were doing prior to the pandemic - at least from my experience. Desserts and appetizers are also way better and presented in a more restaurant like style than before. Before the pandemic it was more like a home cooked meal to me - this comes off as closer to what I’d get if I ordered steak or roasted chicken at a restaurant. There’s some comparison photos out there but I’d disagree that it’s exactly what they were doing before Covid.

The presentation and prep of just about all the dinner options is significantly spruced up and more restaurant like from what they were doing prior to the pandemic - at least from my experience. Desserts and appetizers are also way better and presented in a more restaurant like style than before. Before the pandemic it was more like a home cooked meal to me - this comes off as closer to what I’d get if I ordered steak or roasted chicken at a restaurant. There’s some comparison photos out there but I’d disagree that it’s exactly what they were doing before Covid.
But that presentation has always come and gone with coach passengers - I think that's where I don't follow. Like 10 years ago they had really good desserts (anyone remember that chocolate mousse!?) along with entrees that were even better than what they have now (the Lamb Shank, Mahi Mahi, Crab Cakes, Buffalo Meat Loaf, etc.).

I certainly get that things have come and gone over the years though who knows how far back the “institutional memory” if you want to call it that goes back. 🤣. This all inclusive way they are doing is certainly not unprecedented - and I just got presented with an all inclusive dinner package the other day that was $65 and ate elsewhere as I didn’t like the choices. If the cafe wasn’t available as an alternative I guess Id see this as a bigger deal but to be honest given that it’s available as an alternative it is what it is at this point. I think a battle over diner prices would prove to be futile and as I said given what sleeper accommodations are going for these days that $45 dinner with a coach seat is still quite a bargain for what you get. Yes not everyone is going to be happy with it but I suspect there would have been people unhappy regardless of the approach they took. I just paid over $40 for lunch the other day - eating out has gone through the roof.

Since traditional dining was reintroduced on the Silver Meteor, has anyone posted pictures or reviewed the meals?

Like 10 years ago they had really good desserts (anyone remember that chocolate mousse!?) along with entrees that were even better than what they have now (the Lamb Shank, Mahi Mahi, Crab Cakes, Buffalo Meat Loaf, etc.).
In fairness, some of those entrees were exclusive to the Coast Starlight in the PPC. Not that I'm complaining having had all but the meatloaf, however they weren't system-wide. It is still difficult to beat a properly cooked Amtrak steak.

In fairness, some of those entrees were exclusive to the Coast Starlight in the PPC. Not that I'm complaining having had all but the meatloaf, however they weren't system-wide. It is still difficult to beat a properly cooked Amtrak steak.
My husband once tried the meatloaf on the Meteor, and thought it was pretty good. I hate meatloaf, so I never make it at home.
I miss the black bean veggie burger & the crab cake. I remember when they served soup and a salad. It may have been a shrimp, corn chowder. It had a little heat. But very tasty.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. What did you enjoy the most?

Tough to beat the signature steak cooked properly. The sauce/garnishes they use with the steak are a lot better than what they used to do and the fancier prep they do now with the steak on top of the mashed potatoes and garnished is a nice touch that makes it feel a bit more like you’re eating out. All three of the dinner desserts are delicious as well.

My husband once tried the meatloaf on the Meteor, and thought it was pretty good. I hate meatloaf, so I never make it at home.
I miss the black bean veggie burger & the crab cake. I remember when they served soup and a salad. It may have been a shrimp, corn chowder. It had a little heat. But very tasty.
I love meatloaf myself, but the hubby tires of it if I make it too often. I could probably handle the crab cake (if it came back), but the hubby couldn't (he's allergic). I love any kind of soup, and that shrimp/corn chowder sounds like it would have been delicious!

I love meatloaf myself, but the hubby tires of it if I make it too often. I could probably handle the crab cake (if it came back), but the hubby couldn't (he's allergic). I love any kind of soup, and that shrimp/corn chowder sounds like it would have been delicious!
I’m not too fond of meat. I’ll pick out a fish dish over meat most times.
At the time they offered the soup, I was traveling the meteor quite often enjoying the soup each time. I would order the soup without looking at the menu. Then they changed the offerings. Imagine my disappointment when I was brought chicken noodle soup instead of the chowder.

Tough to beat the signature steak cooked properly. The sauce/garnishes they use with the steak are a lot better than what they used to do and the fancier prep they do now with the steak on top of the mashed potatoes and garnished is a nice touch that makes it feel a bit more like you’re eating out. All three of the dinner desserts are delicious as well.
I could live on the desserts that are being offered. So many delicious ones offered in the past.
Although I’m not much of a meat eater, I just might try it on my October trip. Thanks for such a positive description.

I don't think any of the entrees were exclusive to PPC when they were first introduced. They would rotate and some entrees would more commonly be seen on certain regional trains (Crab Cakes on Capitol Limited, Silvers and Crescent for example, Bison Meatloaf on the Empire Builder, etc.)

Now later on you would only find them on the Parlour Car Menu you are correct... they still had that lamb shank the last time I rode one of the cars in the last year or so of their service.

I don't think any of the entrees were exclusive to PPC when they were first introduced. They would rotate and some entrees would more commonly be seen on certain regional trains (Crab Cakes on Capitol Limited, Silvers and Crescent for example, Bison Meatloaf on the Empire Builder, etc.)

Now later on you would only find them on the Parlour Car Menu you are correct... they still had that lamb shank the last time I rode one of the cars in the last year or so of their service.
Some of the items you mentioned from the the Limited PPC Menu were available on other LD Trains,
but there were some exclusive items, such as a really good Ham Cassorole, that were only available in the PPC.( and their Salads,Drinks and Deserts were First Rate, as was their Wine and Cheese Tasting that featured California,Oregon and Washington items!)

Also remember, their was a Limited Number of reservations available in the PPC,and the entrees were heated up in the Diner next door and served by the LSA in the PPC.

I never had a bad meal in the PPC, or the Diner on the Starlight! The crews used to pride themselves on their offerings and service! RIP to another Amtrak Jewel that's just a Good Memory!( along with Ocean View,SlumberCoaches, Juice,Newspapers and Ice in the Sleepers, and Pillows and Blankets in Coach!)

Last edited:
Some of the items you mentioned from the the Limited PPC Menu were available on other LD Trains,
but there were some exclusive items, such as a really good Ham Cassorole, that were only available in the PPC.( and their Salads,Drinks and Deserts were First Rate, as was their Wine and Cheese Tasting that featured California,Oregon and Washington items!)

Also remember, their was a Limited Number of reservations available in the PPC,and the entrees were heated up in the Diner next door and served by the LSA in the PPC.

I never had a bad meal in the PPC, or the Diner on the Starlight! The crews used to pride themselves on their offerings and service! RIP to another Amtrak Jewel that's just a Good Memory!( along with Ocean View,SlumberCoaches, Juice,Newspapers and Ice in the Sleepers, and Pillows and Blankets in Coach!)
There was an LSA named Barbara in the PPC who brought her own seasonings to put some kick into the killer Bloody Marys she made. Not sure it was on the "up and up" but nobody cared. Customers lined up to get them (multiple times) once they tried them. What a loss!!

There was an LSA named Barbara in the PPC who brought her own seasonings to put some kick into the killer Bloody Marys she made. Not sure it was on the "up and up" but nobody cared. Customers lined up to get them (multiple times) once they tried them. What a loss!!
We had the same experience on the CONO. The LSA was from the Islands and some of her spices were from there. The crew, from New Orleans, was excellent.

On another trip the chef on the CONO had his own spices (when chefs were well trained and allowed to be a bit creative) and served an absolutely outstanding catfish dinner. Unfortunately individual excellence is often not rewarded at Amtrak. Of course the flip side is ‘do it by the book’ to protect against those who would do the minimum or less.

Yep, I had the pleasure of riding with her!😁

Regarding your comment on the flex meals I will agree that Amtrak wants to serve precooked packaged meals they could do better than what they now have. They are high in fat, salt and sugar. I've eaten some weight watcher frozen TV dinners that tasted better than this stuff. We've had first class air meals that were also far better. Quite frankly flex meals are awful and for the high prices we pay for sleepers we shouldn't have to bring our own food onboard. .

They are high in fat, salt and sugar.
So is practically every restaurant meal served in this country, even at the 5-star gourmet places. Traditional dining? The steak dinner and the rich desserts they serve probably have way more fat, salt, and sugar than the flex meals.

I get that maybe Amtrak could up the quality a bit, but the flex meals aren't any worse than what they used t serve in Domestic Coach on the airlines back in the days when they served meal in coach on planes.

I've eaten some weight watcher frozen TV dinners that tasted better than this stuff.
I wonder if it is something to do with their procedure? When I cook one at home I cook one dinner in the microwave. Does Amtrak try to cook too many at once? Do they wait too long to serve them?
smashed mass of pasta under some ho hum sauce.

Maybe a splash of Cholula would help that, too.

BTW, they have individual packets of Cholula available on AMazon:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back