Amtrak Diner Car/Cafe Car Menu HACKS!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRacingNut

Train Attendant
Anyone who has traveled enough on Amtrak has their favorite ways to maximize the amount of food they get served for the least amount of money....Or maybe asking for unusual ingredients to be added to their breakfast/lunch/dinner. My personal favorite was to ask for things of honey from breakfast and add them to the herb roasted chicken at dinnertime. Totally changed the flavor profile.

So who has some creative ways you've changed up some of Amtrak's diner car/cafe car food offerings?

I always grab an extra sleeve of Salad Dressing and use it to liven up the Baked Potato and Veggies. And save that roll to the very end for Mop Up Duty :)

A tube of this caramel went well on vanilla ice cream last time I traveled. (That was when the diner was still serving Haagen Dazs, not Blue Bunny.) Nice for sharing with tablemates.

I usually ask for lemon slices to squeeze on my salad instead of dressing. That way I can avoid the large doses of saturated fat, sodium and carbohydrates that Newman's Own so generously provides for what would otherwise be a completely healthy dish, a salad. (Then on to my steak and baked potato with sour cream.)

I learned that you can ask for many desserts "a la mode" & get free ice cream to go with it (at least it was free in the sleepers, where your meals are paid for). This was particularly good with the chocolate bundt cake. Unfortunately, many of the desserts nowadays wouldn't be very good with ice cream.

I learned that you can ask for many desserts "a la mode" & get free ice cream to go with it (at least it was free in the sleepers, where your meals are paid for). This was particularly good with the chocolate bundt cake. Unfortunately, many of the desserts nowadays wouldn't be very good with ice cream.
This has been hit and miss. Some give you a *** look and some give you the ice cream.

This has been hit and miss. Some give you a *** look and some give you the ice cream.
Ha! Doesn't this apply to all conversations with diner crews? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back