Amtrak Details in ASL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TraneMan

Conductor
I just open up an account on YouTube tonight.

I just posted my first video asking deaf and hard of hearing for any input for a video that I am plan on making this summer.

Sorry, no voice or caption.

YouTube Voideo

In the video, I was just saying, "Welcome to my channel, and noticed there was no video on YouTube showing the details of Amtrak in ASL (American Sign Language), and I planned on making a video this summer on my trip.. I'd like some feed back of what you'd like me to cover on."

I think that's an excellent idea. Why not begin at the beginning, as in making an AMTRAK reservation and then take it forward throughout the total AMTRAK experience? BTW ~ How would someone using ASL order a meal on AMTRAK?

Wishing you much success. You're filling a need out there.

BTW ~ How would someone using ASL order a meal on AMTRAK?
Thanks. I may start that.

For a person who can't talk at all, they point at the item on the menu. If the go to a fast food where the menu is on the wall, then they write it down.

I'm hard of hearing, so I am able to talk and give my order.

I am also HofH/deaf and will be taking my first LD trip later this year. I hear pretty well with my HAs, but am quite deaf w/o them. I plan to let the employees know on each train (CL & CZ) of my hearing loss since I will probably take my HAs out when I sleep. My daughter will be traveling with me, so I probably won't have too much trouble, but do want the staff to know.

I have only taken one 10-week ASL course so far (and have not been practicing as I should during this long break) so my ASL is very limited.

I think this is a great thing you are doing.

BTW, when you want to "say" something, you will find a way. I had an Asian women ask me where the bathrooms were in the U.S. Capital. Since she didn't speak English, she provided the necessary gesture to let me know what she was looking for.

I had an Asian women ask me where the bathrooms were in the U.S. Capital.

Since she didn't speak English, she provided the necessary gesture to let me know what she was looking for.

I don't dare ask. :giggle:

Don't ask...but I'll tell you. It was something like moving her hand down her leg (well, without touching) to indicate ?flowing water? . Hey, it worked. And I was glad I was able to point her towards the bathrooms. Now you GUYS may have just looked for a potted plant rather than ask. :giggle:

I am also HofH/deaf and will be taking my first LD trip later this year. I hear pretty well with my HAs, but am quite deaf w/o them. I plan to let the employees know on each train (CL & CZ) of my hearing loss since I will probably take my HAs out when I sleep. My daughter will be traveling with me, so I probably won't have too much trouble, but do want the staff to know.
I'm muffled really bad with out my HA (Hearing aids), I have no night stops to worry about.. But I will bring that up on my video to point that you should let a staff member know if you have a stop coming up.

I have only taken one 10-week ASL course so far (and have not been practicing as I should during this long break) so my ASL is very limited.
Did you understand of what I said in the video?

A deaf friend of mine was thinking of a trip to St. Louis, and he was looking around and saw all the videos but nothing in ASL, so I am glad to be doing this.

I'm muffled really bad with out my HA (Hearing aids), I have no night stops to worry about.. But I will bring that up on my video to point that you should let a staff member know if you have a stop coming up. That and if there should be any problems that a HoH/deaf person may not hear (even w/hearing aids on) being announced.

Did you understand of what I said in the video? No, it was too fast for me (not your fault). Maybe I'll try looking at it again and do some pausing/replaying.

A deaf friend of mine was thinking of a trip to St. Louis, and he was looking around and saw all the videos but nothing in ASL, so I am glad to be doing this.

Just looked at the video again. Still too fast (just like any language for a newbie). Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to "read" fingerspelling at "normal" speed. :eek:

But I think you are saying why you don't want to fly or drive and therefore are taking the train.

I'm a deaf guy, too, and only once -- many years ago -- did I have a bad experience with an Amtrak conductor, who insisted on putting a DEAF sign in the ticket holder above my seat. I told him that was discrimination and he replied that he had every right to protect his passengers. Jerk. But since then Amtrak seems to have trained all its on-board personnel in the niceties of dealing with deaf people as well as persons with disabilities. I just tell my sleeper attendant I'm deaf and to come pound on the door and wake me up if there's a disaster and we have to evacuate. They all chuckle. They've heard it before.

Just looked at the video again. Still too fast (just like any language for a newbie). Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to "read" fingerspelling at "normal" speed. :eek:

But I think you are saying why you don't want to fly or drive and therefore are taking the train.
:) I just added closed caption to the video, so watch it again.

That's a fantastic idea. Am HoH with HA in one ear only. On my trip up north I wasn't alone and that was a good thing. The announcements they make were not very clear even for her. I had no night stops to worry about either but I did tell the SCA to make sure I'm aware of anything happening during the night since I don't sleep with the aid in.

:) I just added closed caption to the video, so watch it again.
Thanks for the captions. I did misinterpt some things (because I'm a newbie at ASL, not because of your signing) when I watched it yesterday.

It's good to have the captions as many HoH/deaf do not know ASL (as you probably know).

Thanks again for doing this. Looking forward to seeing your video later this summer. Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back