Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if everyone who ever bought a ticket (and gave an e-mail address) got Boardman's letter.

I did - then again, I have an upcoming trip. (I was nervous when I saw A Message From Amtrak, I thought at first, oh, are they bustituting me?)
I got the letter sent to my AGR email address.
I received the letter at my AGR email address. Spouse, who has not registered an email address with AGR (but who has received etickets from Amtrak by email) did not receive the letter.
At first, I was going to say I didn't receive it. But then I looked closer at my email - and found it.
It was an email notification for my TWITTER account as to where it was! You then had to click the link in the Twitter post to read it.

So it was not everyone who provided an email to Amtrak. Instead, it was everyone who has a Twitter account AND follows Amtrak!

I don't have Twitter and still got it

It probably was sent out to every email address they have as well as put on Twitter and Facebook

I received the email at the address I have registered with AGR. I do not have a twitter account (nor do I want one) so who knows how they figured what addresses to send it too.

Mine was to the email address associated with the amtrak.com account, and not to the twitter account in any form. You see, cleverly I use different email addresses, all of which go to the same place, but I can tell which email address it was sent to. :) That of course does not mean that someone else may not have received the message addressed to their twitter account, their facebook account or their AGR account.

I wonder if everyone who ever bought a ticket (and gave an e-mail address) got Boardman's letter.

I did - then again, I have an upcoming trip. (I was nervous when I saw A Message From Amtrak, I thought at first, oh, are they bustituting me?)
I got the letter sent to my AGR email address.
I received the letter at my AGR email address. Spouse, who has not registered an email address with AGR (but who has received etickets from Amtrak by email) did not receive the letter.
At first, I was going to say I didn't receive it. But then I looked closer at my email - and found it.
It was an email notification for my TWITTER account as to where it was! You then had to click the link in the Twitter post to read it.

So it was not everyone who provided an email to Amtrak. Instead, it was everyone who has a Twitter account AND follows Amtrak!
Dave, I don't have a Twitter account. I do have an AGR account which is probably where I got the letter (I have a separate email for AGR and have those emails forwarded my regular email acct).

I have to elaborate on this:

To those saying the private railroads got out of passenger trains solely because they were not profitable. Yes, that is true, but for far more complex reasons than as simply stated here. First, advances in air travel after WW-II sucked passengers away from railroads due to SPEED of travel.
...and massive government subsidies to airports, along with a regulated duopoly system which guaranteed airline profitability
Second, advances in automobile technologies and development of the Interstate system sucked many more due to efficiency of PERSONAL travel.
...and massive government subsidies to the road system, of a scale which is hardly imaginable. The federal government paid 90% of the cost of pretty much any crazy road project anyone came up with, while state and local governments paid the rest.
Meanwhile, the railroads were paying very high property taxes on their land (often much higher than neighboring property owners), and paying a surcharge "ticket tax" dating from WWII.

Starting in the late 1940s, the deck was stacked against the railroads.

Thirdly, and the straw that broke the camel's (railroad's) back, was the cancellation of ALL mail contracts by the US Postal Service in 1967. The Postal contracts were the only revenue source that allowed private railroads to balance and offset the perennial losses from carrying passengers. The one positive aspect of carrying passengers that the railroad executives recognized was that passengers, mostly corporate executives, decision-making managers, and publically notable figures, enjoyed was the on-time performance and luxury service similar to that from a five-star hotel. It wasn't until passage of the Staggers Act in the early 1980s that railroads were deregulated and removed from the tightly-controlled choke-hold of their rates and tariffs by the Interstate Commerce Commission that had existed since the early 1900s. The Staggers Act allowed railroads to charge actual costs for transportation, rather that what Congress and the ICC thought was fair and appropriate, a pathetically laughable situation.
In addition, the ticket tax was repealed, localities were required to charge property taxes at rates which were the same as they charged other property owners, and railroad diesel fuel was given the same tax exemption as airline fuel. The huge levels of road & airport subsidies continued, although the airport subsidies started declining in the mid-1990s after some well-publicized money-pits, and the road subsidies finally started dropping around the time the Highway Trust Fund ran out of money (four or five years ago).

By then, of course, the passenger services had mostly been transferred to public agencies. Who have done a pretty good job frankly, having been handed decades of deferred maintenance.

Incidentally, I read yesterday that FRA and Amtrak have agreed to have Amtrak start using signal speed enforcement to force trains to slow down to 45mph on the Frankford Curve eastbound, when the tracks reopen for service later this weekend or on Monday. Unfortunately I can;t find the exact reference anymore. One source for this info is the WSJ.

For further discussion of this subtopic see the thread http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/64234-fra-orders-amtrak-to-modify-signal-system/

Service is supposed to have resumed to Atlantic City by NJT already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only 188 and SEPTA, but also Acela?

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/05/13/amtrak-crash-septa-projectile/

Washington resident Madison Calvert says that he was on an Amtrak Acela train from New York to Philadelphia when it was struck by an object, breaking his passenger window. Calvert says that the train left New York a few minutes late and that it was minutes from arriving at Philadelphia's 30th Street Station when his window shattered.

"It had to be between 9:05 and 9:10," he says. "It was a pretty big impact. When we arrived at 30th Street, Amtrak cops boarded and took photos of the window."

Calvert tweeted his own photo of the window:

.@fox5newsdc @FOX29philly @CNN-all very scary.Window shattered on #amtrak 2173 in opposite direction minutes before. pic.twitter.com/FG3gbv1Pna

Hizzoner Mayor Nutter said that the Acela incident was not related to the crash of 188.

amtrak-crash-map-940x540.jpg

Within 18 minutes, we have two, and perhaps three trains struck by objects.

What's the old saw?

If it happens once, it's an accident.

If it happens twice, it's a coincidence.

If it happens three times, it's a conspiracy.

/ tinfoil hat on

I recall someone on the Acela said it happened near St Christopher's Hospital, which I believe, is east (right) of your SEPTA circle - near the 1st curve.

The Acela hit has been mentioned before.

It has. Also worth noting that the damage to the Acela was to a side window. It's one thing to toss a rock at a train and damage a windshield.

It's a whole nother thing to do that to a side window, I don't think you could throw a rock hard enough to make that happen.

Hizzoner Mayor Nutter said that the Acela incident was not related to the crash of 188.
Hizzoner has already exhibited a propensity to arrive at conclusions about things based on nothing. So his diagnosis can safely be ignored for the purposes of the investigation I should think.

Within 18 minutes, we have two, and perhaps three trains struck by objects.

What's the old saw?

If it happens once, it's an accident.

If it happens twice, it's a coincidence.

If it happens three times, it's a conspiracy.

/ tinfoil hat on
Well, in that area, even if it happens "n" times, it is just "North Philadelphia" unfortunately :help:

Its interesting in investigations like this, that the officials will often use terms like "object", "projectile", and "missile", for something us mere normal people would call a bullet.

I don't understand why SEPTA was so quick to say their hit has nothing to do with the wreck. It's not like people are going to blame SEPTA for the accident.

It has. Also worth noting that the damage to the Acela was to a side window. It's one thing to toss a rock at a train and damage a windshield.

It's a whole nother thing to do that to a side window, I don't think you could throw a rock hard enough to make that happen.
MANY MANY years ago, on a southbound Viewliner (The TE) out of Chicago, a kid hurled a rock and hit my passenger window. The rock bounced off. Even though I was startled (and quickly felt annoyed), nothing resulted from it, not even a chip to the window. (I don't think the kid was doing it to be "criminal," I think it was just a kid - he was pretty young - doing something stupid and not-thought-out).

I suspect it takes more than a simply-thrown rock to shatter a passenger window.

If indeed this whole "projectiles" hypothesis is supported, that's pretty alarming. (And makes the mayor look bad, given all his bluster against the engineer)

Its interesting in investigations like this, that the officials will often use terms like "object", "projectile", and "missile", for something us mere normal people would call a bullet.
At least the NTSB will not make a categorical statement that specific until they have actually established through an investigation that it was indeed that. They are exceedingly careful about such things, mainly to keep themselves from prejudging things without going through a careful and through analysis.

OTOH, I have seen many shattered windows from a large brick or rock strike. So one can never be sure until experts have had a time to analyze and come to a definitive conclusion.

because we don't know that it was a bullet. Could have been a rock or a brick or some other kind of projectile. An investigator should never make a statement until he knows that it is true.

Congress has announced they are going to hold hearings on the 188 crash. Dates have not been set. But that said, in congressional hearings, they like to look at pictures and charts of projectiles and missles...

Hizzoner has already exhibited a propensity to arrive at conclusions about things based on nothing. So his diagnosis can safely be ignored for the purposes of the investigation I should think.
I ignored him as soon as he started yapping about the cause of the crash, I believe that was the next day and the NTSB and FBI hadn't even arrived yet.

My concern now is that if it is found to have been caused by malicious persons and projectiles and now the trains are required to go slower that they are going to make for easier targets. We shall see what the investigations produce...

The House subcommitee is indeed holding hearings and I wonder if Joe Boardman will be testifying. I presume he would happily agree without pleading the fifth or being compelled to testify.

Germany had an incident as well just recently with a passenger train where a tractor plowed into a train. Rail crossings have risk factors and risks have to be mitigated and safety could be increased to account for issues using technological solutions but it can never be perfect.

For the USA Northeastern corridor rail traffic is over 11 million passengers, I don't know exact figures but death toll is statistically low.

More people use rail in the northeast corridor than airplane I believe. NYC to WAS is not one of the top used routes for instance. Issue can be resolved quickly here and prevented increasing safety rates.

Back