Amtrak delays 2023 H2 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little confusing: "multiple trains heading toward New York were more than six hours late getting into Chicago on Saturday night, making most passengers miss their connections."

I assume what they meant were trains from points west were late getting into Chicago thus missing connections for trains to NY City i.e. the LSL (and presumably also Capitol and Cardinal although Washington is not mentioned).

A little confusing: "multiple trains heading toward New York were more than six hours late getting into Chicago on Saturday night, making most passengers miss their connections."

I assume what they meant were trains from points west were late getting into Chicago thus missing connections for trains to NY City i.e. the LSL (and presumably also Capitol and Cardinal although Washington is not mentioned).
Yeah, it was a very poorly written article. Also, how many were actually bused to South Bend and how many took up the offer to return to Chicago? I suspect there were not 80+ people stranded "at the end of the day". And those that were chose to remain there.

I notice that on other lists, namely Trainorders, people have noticed the confusion with this article and have interpreted just what happened. None of the interpretations appear to be favorable to Amtrak.

My NEC says it is getting delayed, first late equipment, now downed trees and overhead power issues north of New Haven…

My NEC says it is getting delayed, first late equipment, now downed trees and overhead power issues north of New Haven…
Time for Amtrak to remove all trees on ROWs and plant vegetation that only grows tall up to 6 -8 feet? It needs to be thick enough to prevent trees growing through canopy. As well would stop some trespassers.

Last edited:
Some random person said to get on a MBTA train on track 5 we seem to be moving north, the correct direction for me. There could be an impromptu honoring of my Amtrak ticket? Going to find out. Many people around me talking like they were Amtrak ticketed too, some may be turning around and going home.

I just found out there is a separate Twitter feed for NEC and now see the mess that has happened. So far no one lifting tickets on the MBTA…

Backbay Boston, MBTA got me back 20 minutes after the original Amtrak was scheduled. Whew, I am not from around these parts - feel very fortunate this worked out. There was still a large crowd in Providence when I sprinted to the MBTA train, I hope they can have some resolution too.

Guess this is on the stretch of PRR style CAT. That is where bringing down CAT on one track brings CAT on all tracks. It is time for Amtrak to get all constant tension CAT that is separate for each track. Not only Harrisburg but all of NYP - WASH.

Backbay Boston, MBTA got me back 20 minutes after the original Amtrak was scheduled. Whew, I am not from around these parts - feel very fortunate this worked out. There was still a large crowd in Providence when I sprinted to the MBTA train, I hope they can have some resolution too.
“We have added 1,000 points into your Amtrak Guest Rewards® account as a gesture of goodwill.” happened later automatically. Diesel power FTW that day.

Is there anything that can be done to lower the frequency of these catenary issues suspending service? They seem to be happening more frequently lately, and on key links, too. NHV-BOS being down for 6 hours the other day was a mess.

Is there anything that can be done to lower the frequency of these catenary issues suspending service?

Sure. This will do it:

l.jpg

Good luck fighting with the neighbors, especially on the Harrisburg Line.

Is there anything that can be done to lower the frequency of these catenary issues suspending service? They seem to be happening more frequently lately, and on key links, too. NHV-BOS being down for 6 hours the other day was a mess.
Get the very sexy tree removal going. The first thing RRs cut to cut costs is tree removal . Our local CSX line has several locations where trains are going thru a tree tunnel.

SWC 4 departing LAX 9-8--23 arrived in Chicago 11 1/2 hours late at about 1:30 am. First it was freight interference in California. Then around Kingman AZ there was mechanical problems , and then a track inspection in New Mexico. I got onboard in ABQ. I was supposed depart ABQ at 11:58 am, but instead departed at 6:30 pm, so about 6 1/2 hours late at that point. All the way through Albuquerque and beyond the train never traveled any faster than 25 miles per hour. That slow of a speed is not typical for ABQ. We never caught up, just kept getting more and more behind. Somewhere in Kansas, that train disappeared from the Amtrak Track-Your-Train map, so I couldn't really tell what speed we were going at, but it seemed slow all the way. Does anyone know why it would have disappeared from the tracker map?

I was traveling coach, but I heard an announcement to the sleeper passengers that breakfast would be brought to them in their compartment, so I suspected that something was wrong with the dining car. I asked the lounge attendant and he said the AC in the dining car wasn't working, so it was unusable. The cafe/lounge was running out of a number of items also because of the unexpected delay.

At some point, there was an announcement that we would be missing all of the connecting trains and that we would be put up in a hotel overnight and arrangements made to get us to our destinations would be made. When the announcement was made the status of train 4 on the app indicated that it was 6-6.5 hours late, so I was still hopeful that I could still get the LakeShore Limited at 9:30 pm, but Amtrak knew better because in Kansas City,we had to take a detour due to problems with a bridge. The detour probably added 3 hours to the delay. I was able to change my hotel reservation that I had in NY where I'm going without losing any money on the hotel.

Upon arriving in Chicago at 1:30 pm, I noticed the head engine was a BNSF, but had forgotten to see if there were other engines or not and what color any other was. At Union Station in Chicago we were given hotel and food vouchers. Some people were given tickets for further travel, but not me. I was told that I should go to the ticket desk the next day. And my e-ticket has disappeared from my phone, I suppose because I didn't get on that train at 9:30 pm. We were all put on a bus (pretty much filled it, I believe) and bussed to the Swisshotel where I got into my room at 3 am. It is now the morning of Monday September 11. The bus will take us back to Chicago Union Station at 11 am. In the light of day, I'm not sure my food voucher will work because their is a note to the vendor that it has to be stamped and it wasn't. We will see.

A few minutes ago I got a phone call from Amtrak indicating that a "transportation voucher" will be provided to me. I'm not totally sure what that means, but I wonder if it means that because I bought my ticket with AGR points, I'll get them back?

They provided snack packs to us and got us pizza in Fort Madison. They're trying, but I'm still depressed. Well, I also had a sudden death in my extended family, so that probably put me on the depression path rather than the severe delay and missing a day of what I'm traveling to.

Back