Amtrak Day Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lucky enough to convince my grandma to pay for a day trip on amtrak so now I'm trying to decide what and where I should go to take advantage of this gift.

I'll be trying to create a round trip to/from MetroPark (MET)

I was thinking of going up and back to Boston. I would like to take Acela Express there and due to the timing end up taking a regional back which is fine.

Should I start out of NYP would that make things better?

This was just one idea that I had because its a long day on Amtrak which is what Im shooting for.

If anyone else has any other ideas that would be better or different I am open to suggestions.

EDIT: I could travel during a week day or weekend it really doesnt matter whatever would give me the most choices

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the AEs stop there well some of them so yeah i could catch it from there but im looking for other ideas so i was just saying i am willing to start in a different place if it opens new possibilities up

Are you primarily interested in riding trains, or would stopping at a museum somewhere also be of interest?

If the former, you could consider taking the MBTA Commuter Rail between Boston and Providence, and then catching Amtrak from there, and you could also consider transfering to Metro-North at New Haven.

In Boston, there's a loop I want to travel at some point that involves taking the Fitchburg Line to Waverly, and then catching a trolleybus at Waverly to Harvard Square. (From there you could catch the Red Line to South Station.) Check out the wikipedia article on MBTA trolleybuses; allegedly they run diesel and/or CNG buses on Sundays, and I think maybe also Saturday evenings.

There's a submarine museum near the New London, CT train station (getting to/from there may require a taxi) which I haven't been to in almost two decades; there's the East Haven Trolley Muiseum (buses available from New Haven) which I've never been to; and I bet there are dozens of other museums you could visit.

Thayer Street in Providence is another place that might be of interest.

If you do decide to take an Acela, definately start and board at Metro Park. That way when the train reaches NYP and many people leave, you'll be able to secure a window seat for sure. If you come to NYP first, you may or may not be lucky enough to get a window seat.

As for what to do, AE to Boston is certainly a worth while trip, although expensive. But you'll have the great scenery east of New Haven, not to mention the only 150 MPH run in this country, as well as the wonderful views from the Hell Gate Bridge.

Other worthy journey's would include a run out the Keystone line, a run up the Hudson River to Albany on the Empire Service. The latter is far more scenic IMHO. If one timed it just right, one could probably even do a day trip to Richmond, VA. That could be neat too and it would also fill a full day.

With the empire service would I be able to grab a train back the same day and make it back to a Metro Park at a reasonable hour I know i would probably have to take NJ transit from NYP which isnt a big deal.

Are you primarily interested in riding trains, or would stopping at a museum somewhere also be of interest?

While those ideas are interesting thanks for sharing them. For this trip I'm looking for maximum track time as my next Amtrak trip wont be until April.
well you could take a NJ transit to Trenton,

ride the river line to Camden,

Patco to Philadelphia

take a Septa train to Wilmington,

take a Regional to Baltimore

get a MARC train to DC,

then get an Acela back to Metropark

4 different railroads.

7 different kinds of trains

and probably cheaper too

Bob

With the empire service would I be able to grab a train back the same day and make it back to a Metro Park at a reasonable hour I know i would probably have to take NJ transit from NYP which isnt a big deal.
Sure, easily. The Empire service has frequent runs back and forth to Albany. For example you could catch train #281 at 10:20 AM and arrive into Albany at 12:48 PM. You could then immediately turn around and head right back on 284/256 at 1:05 PM and arrive back into NYP at 3:35 PM, although I wouldn't recommend such a close connection. But there's another train at 3:05 everyday except Saturday, another at 4:15 PM or you could even gamble for an on time arrival of the Lake Shore and catch that at 4:50 PM.

While those ideas are interesting thanks for sharing them. For this trip I'm looking for maximum track time as my next Amtrak trip wont be until April.
AND IF YOU HAVE A LITTLE EXTA TIME ADD IT

Patco to Philadelphia

TAKE MTA LIGHT RAIL TO BWI.

TAKE SHUTTLE BUS TO BWI TRAIN STATION

get a MARC train to DC,

TAKE A VRE TRAIN TO ALEXANDRIA

GET A LONG DISTANCE TRAIN BACK TO DC

(ALTERNATE TAKE VRE TO LAFANT STATION

TAKE METRO BACK TO UNION STATION)

4 different railroads.

6 DIFFERENT RAILROADS

10 DIFFERENT KINDS OF TRAINS

and probably cheaper too

Bob

If you want maximum track time though, then go to Boston or perhaps consider Bob's idea.

Patco to Philadelphia

get a MARC train to DC,

4 different railroads.

6 DIFFERENT RAILROADS

and probably cheaper too

Bob
While this is a great idea in theory and I am sure is quite doable and most likely very enjoyable that just seems like it would a lot of connections and switches that while it would be interesting would just be a lot for me to do alone considering I'm only 16 lol although if you price it out your right it is a lot cheaper of a way to get to DC

Sure, easily. The Empire service has frequent runs back and forth to Albany. For example you could catch train #281 at 10:20 AM and arrive into Albany at 12:48 PM. You could then immediately turn around and head right back on 284/256 at 1:05 PM and arrive back into NYP at 3:35 PM, although I wouldn't recommend such a close connection. But there's another train at 3:05 everyday except Saturday, another at 4:15 PM or you could even gamble for an on time arrival of the Lake Shore and catch that at 4:50 PM.
I checked Amtrak Delays for the Lakeshore and it doesn't seem to be that bad at the moment only averaging a 7 minute delay over the last 4 weeks. However, It has had a few days where it was much later but it would be well I guess interesting to take the LD train as there would be a dinner service while I was on board. Granted I would make such a short trip in coach and depending on the crowd may not be able to get a seat which wouldn't be a big deal so I guess this opens up a set of questions about taking that option.

1. Should I trust that that the Lakeshore Limited will make it on time?

2. Would there be decent odds at getting diner in the dinner while onboard?

Patco to Philadelphia

get a MARC train to DC,

4 different railroads.

6 DIFFERENT RAILROADS

and probably cheaper too

Bob
While this is a great idea in theory and I am sure is quite doable and most likely very enjoyable that just seems like it would a lot of connections and switches that while it would be interesting would just be a lot for me to do alone considering I'm only 16 lol although if you price it out your right it is a lot cheaper of a way to get to DC
the only connections that are awkward or have possible problems would be the Alexandria section.

to make it a little easier.

. NJ transit to Trenton.

. SEPTA to Phila

. change at Market East to SEPTA to Wilmington

. regional Amtrak from Wilmington to Baltimore

. MARC to DC

. Acela DC back to Metro Park.

all trains have frequent service so shouldn't be major problems.

Bob

1. Should I trust that that the Lakeshore Limited will make it on time?
I'd have a contingency plan just in case, like check as soon as you arrive into Albany and see how the LSL is doing. If it's running too late for you, then quickly reticket onto the 4:15 PM train. Just be prepared to pay extra. Or ticket for both and don't pick up the tickets. Then when you get to Albany figure out which train you're going to ride and pick up that ticket, and cancel the other.

2. Would there be decent odds at getting diner in the dinner while onboard?
Zero. Amtrak doesn't serve dinner on the LSL eastbound.

You should also know that at this time of the year, both the LSL and the 4:15 departure will mean that the run back down the Hudson will be largely in the dark. So that might be an argument for one of the earlier trains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patco to Philadelphia

get a MARC train to DC,

4 different railroads.

6 DIFFERENT RAILROADS

and probably cheaper too

Bob
the only connections that are awkward or have possible problems would be the Alexandria section.

to make it a little easier.

. NJ transit to Trenton.

. SEPTA to Phila

. change at Market East to SEPTA to Wilmington

. regional Amtrak from Wilmington to Baltimore

. MARC to DC

. Acela DC back to Metro Park.

all trains have frequent service so shouldn't be major problems.

Bob
Thanks for making that a little simpler lol Im looking to head north for this trip as I will be heading down to DC day after thanksgiving for a long weekend and ive made the run on amtrak from DC to Metro Park several times (My best fried lives there so i visit him a few times a year including after thanksgiving) However I've only made the run to Boston on Amtrak once and that was when I was 8 or 9 so I really dont remember much about the scenery. Which is why I was thinking about it. However I'm still open for new ideas since it is a kinda big part of my christmas break

Okay well I've spent most of today pondering this particular trip and thinking about obscure and long yet relaxing trips on Amtrak when while at lunch I was looking at my ticket stub from the cardinal and i realized the coach fair with out the room isnt actually that expensive and it would be a long trip so here is my question now. Is there anyway I can arrive in Chicago on either the Cap Limited LSL Cardinal any others i cant think of right now and return on one of them even if its the same one can i get head back east on the same day or would i have to overnight in Chicago?

Okay well I've spent most of today pondering this particular trip and thinking about obscure and long yet relaxing trips on Amtrak when while at lunch I was looking at my ticket stub from the cardinal and i realized the coach fair with out the room isnt actually that expensive and it would be a long trip so here is my question now. Is there anyway I can arrive in Chicago on either the Cap Limited LSL Cardinal any others i cant think of right now and return on one of them even if its the same one can i get head back east on the same day or would i have to overnight in Chicago?
Well you don't have to overnight in Chicago regardless of whether you ride the Cardinal, the Capitol, or the LSL west. But do understand that you'll still be gone from home for three days/two nights. One night going west and one night going east.

But all three trains arrive into Chicago in the morning and all three depart eastbound in the evening, so other than watching out for the Cardinal's three day a week schedule, it is possible to arrive into Chicago in the morning and depart that evening to come back home.

In fact I just made such a trip back in July with RailFanLNK and his girfriend and her two daughters. They were going home to Lincoln, NB on the Capitol, so I rode west with them, saw them off on the CZ the next afternoon in Chicago, then came home on the LSL that evening.

I've been looking at the prices for going to Chicago and well I'm seriously starting to consider it over Boston as for my day I'm looking for its literally only 5 dollars more to go to Chicago and well frankly it would be a LD run which would be awesome seeing as i could most likely pull it off the trains get in early enough and leave late enough that a connection wouldn't even seem like an issue unless things really went down hill. So I mean wow I cant believe its possible I mean if I pulled a same day return I would have plenty of time in Chicago to well get to enjoy CUS a little more and get some pizza at giordanos for lunch and yeah but would Amtrak let me go on an overnight unaccompanied at 16 or would that be an issue. Also is this trip bad in coach to do back to back. I have no problems sleeping upright and have endured flights almost as long. Also which way would be best. Im thinking of taking the LSL one way and the CL another would there be an advantage to take one eastbound and one westbound?

I dunno why I'm helping you, Steve, but...

SHORT TURN on an LD. If the train runs late, short turn earlier.

Availible from New York:

Adirondack: Change NB to SB at Port Henry: 12h, 15 m

Vermonter: Newark to Windsor Locks, change NB to SB, 8 h

Palmetto/Silver Meteor: Change in Yemassee, S.C. from Palmetto to Silver Meteor. You'll get breakfast in a dining car on the way back. Close to 30 hours.

Crescent: Short turn in Salisbury, N.C. Almost 20 hours on the train.

Crescent/Carolinian: Turn in Charlotte. There is a 5 hour lay over. Take the Crescent down and the Carolinian up.

Cardinal: Depart on a Friday, and change in Cincinnati. You are getting about 33 hours on the train.

Lake Shore Limited/Capitol Limited: Change in Sandusky.

Plenny of time on the train.

I've been looking at the prices for going to Chicago and well I'm seriously starting to consider it over Boston as for my day I'm looking for its literally only 5 dollars more to go to Chicago and well frankly it would be a LD run which would be awesome seeing as i could most likely pull it off the trains get in early enough and leave late enough that a connection wouldn't even seem like an issue unless things really went down hill. So I mean wow I cant believe its possible I mean if I pulled a same day return I would have plenty of time in Chicago to well get to enjoy CUS a little more and get some pizza at giordanos for lunch and yeah but would Amtrak let me go on an overnight unaccompanied at 16 or would that be an issue. Also is this trip bad in coach to do back to back. I have no problems sleeping upright and have endured flights almost as long. Also which way would be best. Im thinking of taking the LSL one way and the CL another would there be an advantage to take one eastbound and one westbound?
Since you're doing it at this time of the year, I'd probably tell you to go west on the LSL and come back on the Capitol or the Cardinal. With the LSL you'll miss the best scenery, the run up the Hudson River no matter which way you go. Whereas with the Card or the Cap, you can still catch the best scenery coming eastbound at this time of the year., westbound you'll miss everything.

And you can go overnight at 16, anything over 15 and your basically considered an adult. Just make sure that you bring some school photo ID with you just in case you're asked. And I'd highly recommend that you carry one of your parent's credit cards with you just in case something does go wrong, along with a note from them authorizing you to use the card.

Alright here is my possible trip at the moment and its actually cheaper then going to boston lol idk how that works but hey this is turning into a long day to an amazing multiyear trip. Okay well the way the buckets work out It looks like ill be doing this on new years eve to Jan 2 so lol making a multi year trip (kinda) here is my plan at the moment

95 Northeast Regional NYP to WAS (might switch it and just get on in metro park)

29 Capitol Limited WAS to CHI

48 Lakeshore Limited CHI to NYP

Leaves me about 10 hours in CHI but i dont expect to be on time so no big deal

reason im not thinking cardinal was i just rode it in August so the lsl i rode when i was 6 and that wasnt even for the whole run so i think i can revisit it lol and the CL because ive never done that run.

Just know that if you go that way, and I understand that you're considering the prices too, that you'll reach Harper's Ferry and some of the most scenic part of the run after dark. That's why I suggested coming east on the CL, but if costs make that impossible I do understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back