Amtrak Crescent Running Heritage Equipment-video

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone inside Amtrak can check the internal daily advisories on the intranet and see the very exact, explicitly stated reason that the baggage cars were heading to the rear of certain (not all) trains, and the plan for returning them to the front of those same trains when the sleepers return to the front.
Are you claiming to have that access? If so, than spit it out, rather than just speak as if we're all supposed to just believe everything that you type.

Anyone inside Amtrak can check the internal daily advisories on the intranet and see the very exact, explicitly stated reason that the baggage cars were heading to the rear of certain (not all) trains, and the plan for returning them to the front of those same trains when the sleepers return to the front.
Are you claiming to have that access? If so, than spit it out, rather than just speak as if we're all supposed to just believe everything that you type.
I'm not sure what Robert is claiming, but I can tell you that I've known Robert IRL now for about 8 years. And there are many other members here who've also met Robert at AU Gatherings. In fact, some of those at the first Gathering in Chicago were treated to a tour of the CTA's dispatch center for both the trains & the buses thanks to Robert's job in the bus scheduling department and the connections from that.

I can tell you that Robert's information is generally spot on and that he's not one to post rumors. If he's posting something; then the odds are very, very good that the info is accurate.

Besides the Heritage diner counter was there any work done to the grill or kitchen area itself? The stool counter takes up a lot of space which I'm guessing was made up for by no more dish washing and the loss of the prep cook (which I think happened after the re-builds). I think the toaster went out the window about the same time as the re-builds. Anybody know for sure ???

Besides the Heritage diner counter was there any work done to the grill or kitchen area itself? The stool counter takes up a lot of space which I'm guessing was made up for by no more dish washing and the loss of the prep cook (which I think happened after the re-builds). I think the toaster went out the window about the same time as the re-builds. Anybody know for sure ???
Jay,

I'm assuming that you're referring to the Temoinsa rebuilds. AFAIK considerable work was done within the kitchen, although I'm not sure if the grill was replaced for example. Those rebuilds however were done long before the toaster went bye-bye, and those cars still have a dishwashing machine. What they don't have is an assistant cook to run the dishwashing machine.

I'm not sure what Robert is claiming, but I can tell you that I've known Robert IRL now for about 8 years. And there are many other members here who've also met Robert at AU Gatherings. In fact, some of those at the first Gathering in Chicago were treated to a tour of the CTA's dispatch center for both the trains & the buses thanks to Robert's job in the bus scheduling department and the connections from that.

I can tell you that Robert's information is generally spot on and that he's not one to post rumors. If he's posting something; then the odds are very, very good that the info is accurate.
Thanks, Alan that's good to know. Sometimes it's tough to tell who's posting because they've appointed themselves the expert on a topic and who actually knows what's going on.

Robert, my apologies - I didn't know that you were one of the good guys.

just 'cause here is what it looked like back when it was being used:

I'd love to see some picture looking the other direction.

peter
Yup. I've eaten in that Viewliner diner. I think it was on the Crescent quite a while back. The Heritage Diners have been nicely refurbished at least on the inside. I'm sure the reliability's not a strong point though considering their age.
It would have had to be quite a while back. I think that the car ran for about 2 or 3 years, before it was pulled from service. So that would have been the very early 90's.

As for the Heritage diners, only about half have received what's known as the Timoinsa rebuild kit, which gives you the pleasing pinks & greens and the starfield ceiling. The remainder of the cars have a much older interior.
I'm thinking it was 1994 probably when I rode the Crescent with the Viewliner diner. Could be wrong. As far as the Heritage diners I kind of like the refurbed interiors just before the later Timoinsa ones. I'm not crazy about the pink colors. I do like the ceilings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back