Amtrak credited with Montana tourism

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny.menhennet

Conductor
An article in a local Montana news thing credits Amtrak trains with helping boost tourism in Northern Montana, specifically in Glacier.

The best part:

Last year many Amtrak runs were canceled due to flooding in the Midwest, and many passengers couldn’t make good on their plans to stop off at the Belton. Amtrak’s runs stayed on schedule this summer.

Everything is relative...at least the EB was running, rather than being out of service for six weeks like it was in 2011. Having just returned from Glacier a few days ago, I agree with the article's basic premise: the EB has a huge effect on tourism in that part of the world, and they seemed to be doing very well. When I decided at the last minute to visit the area over Labor Day, I had a hard time finding a place to stay, since almost everything was booked solid.

And don't be too hard on The Daily Inter Lake's "business reporter." She seems to have done some actual reporting, rather than just regurgitating a press release from the Chamber of Commerce. But I have to admit that the sentence you quoted is pretty funny!

I, for one, think Amtrak would be better off if more people thought 'on schedule' meant 'the train ran at all.' :)

I have to go digging for it again, but a study did come out back in 2005 or so that concluded that the Empire Builder contributes nearly $20 million to the Montana economy each year!

I have to go digging for it again, but a study did come out back in 2005 or so that concluded that the Empire Builder contributes nearly $20 million to the Montana economy each year!
No need to dig for it, I just used that link the other day in a posting. You can read the entire study here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back