amtrak conductor shot at Naperville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that LE should have been called by the Conductor and he should have been taken off the Train at the Next,Stop soon as it was evident he was unstable and/or a potential threat to the passengers and crew!

( Arm chair Quarterbacking here but common sense comes into play!)

Imho The goal of the Amtrak employees at this point was to ensure the guy got to his final destination. By now I'm sure they had figured out that he was not completely coherent. It would have been easier to let the guy off at Naperville.

It's easy to look at this with 20/20 hindsight.
The only way they should have let him off at Naperville would have been if there were cops or mental health personnel waiting at the station when they arrived. You do really believe blithely letting someone who is "not completely coherent" off a train, having the unsuspecting residents of Naperville deal with the consequences, would have been the right thing to do? Really?
Now in hindsight the Conductor(s) should have put him OFF the train as soon as they realized he was a potential problem and a risk to the safety of crew and pax.
Oops. I wasn't clear in what I posted. I was trying to say a less diligent crew could have let him get off without saying anything. I agree it would be inappropriate to do so knowing he needed help.

Apparently, he's a retired federal law enforcement officer. Please allow a brief "fair use" quote from the above link:
Retired LEOs are generally exempted from most onerous gun-control schemes based on the theory that they have both the necessary training and sufficient reasons to be concerned for their wellbeing. Their unions are very vocal on the subject.

Oops, sorry for posting about mental health matters and gun control in USA, they did seem just slightly relevant to this thread?

Ed.
Yes, they are. Not your fault that discussing them here is apt to send the thread into a political shouting match.
We've allowed wide latitude in discussing gun control in this topic. How this man came to be in possession of a weapon It is entirely relevant. How he was being cared for given his probable mental issues is also relevant.

The removed post was speculating on what might happen in the future with mental health care availability and gun ownership. Those are also valid topics, but are off topic for this incident. What might happen in the future has nothing to do with what actually happened here. Topics like that can be discussed in Random Discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case anyone at a retirement home might get so senile "under the radar" and drive their automobile by accident into a crowd, we should, just to be safe, prohibit all of them from owning cars, and guns, for the safety of the rest of us. Or something in between. But just how often do we perform mental health evaluations, and who pays for that?? There is an absolute limit to the amount of taxpayer money available to health, and mental health. So, who gets to make those financial allocations?? That is the quandry that never goes away...

This was a very unfortunate occurrence. It gives reason why Amtrak crews should be armed and able to defend. Airline pilots carry guns, why not the Amtrak crew?
Pilots are behind a locked door. Conductors are walking around where someone could grab the gun and cause more mayhem.One shooting of a conductor by a deranged man justifies this how?

From all accounts, the conductor is a good man who does a good job....and he has survived, is out of the hospital, and is recovering at home. No matter where any of us are on the guns debate, I think we can all agree on being glad that the conductor survived and is getting better.

I would think that not letting crazy people have guns would be a much better solution than turning train platforms into the OK Corral.
This!!!
And why is it that most of us who have actually gone in harm's way are troubled by the NRAs Crazy ideas, guns and other combat weapons and the gun nuts that have stashes of them?

This thread has run its course and then derailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back