Amtrak commercials

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
In the past two weeks I've seen a plethora of Amtrak commercials running in the north Florida Panhandle Market. Notably I've seen them on multiple channels in Panama City and near Tallahassee by two different cable providers. Is this just a fluke? I don't really know how cable providers do their advertising programming but it sure is interesting to see Amtrak commercials in a region where they don't provide any service whatsoever. Does anyone have any thoughts on why they're doing this?

I saw one last night in Orlando on TBS, I believe.

I think what you see are national commercials, not to a specific area. Not Amtrak, but I see commercials for things like Carl Jr, Cece Pizza and HH Gregg. AFAIK, none are within 1,000 miles of me here in the northeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's been a bunch of Amtrak commercials during the NCAA March Madness coverage. So they are national, not specific to the North Florida area.

I think what you see are national commercials, not to a specific area. Not Amtrak, but I see commercials for things like Carl Jr, Cece Pizza and HH Gregg. AFAIK, none are within 1,000 miles of me here in the northeast.
There's some HH Greggs here in Philly and I believe a Cici's pizza as well. So you're down to 250 miles. :p
When why do I get them here in Montana? There are none of these other than Carl's Jr. Here.

There was one on national ABC-TV news tonight, showing a Surfliner but also some other trains.

I get a good variety of Amtrak California and Acela commercials here in Oklahoma, but then again I'm getting NBC feeds on DirecTV from NYC and LA :)

A good friend of mine, Carolyn...her husband was in a recent Amtrak commercial. It was more or less about the Business Class seats and/or the 1st class Acela. Either way, it was really cool to see a friend of mine pimping our favorite way to travel. :) To be honest, Amtrak needs to advertise more about their long distance trains. Those of us who've been on it are probably still fielding questions from friends who are curious about taking one of them, but are so used to flying, they don't know any better, yeah?

I have seen a ton of Am ads lately, and I they actually played a couple at Lucas Oil Stadium during the Big 10 Championship game in Indy this December. I always wondered why they didn't use the theme "You don't see this at 30,000 feet"

I'm not much of a TV watcher, but have been hearing lots of radio ads for AmTrak here in the Denver market. Mostly short spots highlighting reasonable one-way fares to Chicago, Reno, SLC, etc on the CZ. (low bucket, no doubt ;>)

There's some HH Greggs here in Philly and I believe a Cici's pizza as well. So you're down to 250 miles. :p
When why do I get them here in Montana? There are none of these other than Carl's Jr. Here.
It's funny when I was in Illinois about a year and a half ago there was a Hardee's a 5 minute drive away from my Apt.. Having never been to one in my short 23 years at the time, that was my lunch my first day there, I was rather impressed.

If you are watching those commercials on a cable channel, odds are that airtime is meant for local pre-emption, ie, local ad sales. Either the Charter sales department is falling down on the job, or else someone in their network operations is and didn't "flip the switch" that enabled those local commercials to air in place of the others.

If you are watching those commercials on a cable channel, odds are that airtime is meant for local pre-emption, ie, local ad sales. Either the Charter sales department is falling down on the job, or else someone in their network operations is and didn't "flip the switch" that enabled those local commercials to air in place of the others.
Then explain the local radio stations playing the audio versions of the same commercials?

Lots of TV stations in California promoting the current 20% off discount coach fares.

Then explain the local radio stations playing the audio versions of the same commercials?
During regular programming? For companies like HH Gregg & Ceci's?

Occasionally sports programming will have "national" commercials for regional companies, but that's usually because the companies will be sold air time based on one of the teams in the ad buy being in a location where that company has outlets, even if there are games airing where neither of the teams are located where those companies operate.

I saw one of the Amtrak commercials showcasing all the routes and advertising 25% off saver fares during the Golf Channel's coverage of the WGC Dell Match Play Championship.

During regular programming? For companies like HH Gregg & Ceci's?
Occasionally sports programming will have "national" commercials for regional companies, but that's usually because the companies will be sold air time based on one of the teams in the ad buy being in a location where that company has outlets, even if there are games airing where neither of the teams are located where those companies operate.
Yes, during regular programming on multiple channels owned by different companies, including the Montana radio company which is owned and operated out of Helena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back