Amtrak Cascades SEA to/from Olympia, WA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I will be on a multi-day business trip to SEA then south to OLY next month, before circling back. Looking up the OLY station on the Amtrak site, it looks like there is no baggage service in OLY. I assume that means both south and northbound. Anyone have any experience on that routing? I tentatively planned to take a rolling garment bag, suitcase, carry on and briefcase, which is a lot to imagine carrying on to a commuter train (and probably exceeds limits). Taking the same train south from SEA to PDX, I have been able to check the two larger bags. I may find alternative transportation to OLY rather than deal with the baggage.

I believe that there is no baggage service in OLY because it is staffed by volunteers, and nice as the station is, it's in the middle of nowhere. The Sounder commuter trains don't go to OLY. There is city bus service from Intercity Transit, but it's pretty limited. You might be able to store baggage in SEA or PDX, and arrange for them to ship your bags so that they'll meet up with you for the next leg of your trip.

We rode from OLY to PDX with two carry ons and and one checked bag each for our PDX to CBS trip. It was pretty easy to put the bags in the storage area near the door. We used a local cab to get to the station. We would do it again with no problems. If you need the cab company name I can get it for you, he was really nice and you can call him early and he would be waiting.

Could you leave on one of the midday trains rather than 501/509? This minimizes the chances of crowding out your fellow passengers and getting any hassle from the crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back