amtrak cascades questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m venturing to the pacific northwest for the first time and I have several questions about the amtrak cascades I’m hoping the wise people in this forum can help me with. I will be flying to Seattle then taking amtrak from SEA to ALY and returning a few days later. My sister will be meeting me in Seattle then after spending a day sight seeing we will be going to Albany OR. A few days later I will be travelling back to Seattle to catch my return flight. I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated.

1. Is business class worth it? I have read elsewhere online that business class on the cascades can be like a quiet car. Is this true? My sister and I are not particularly loud but we don’t want to be the only people having a conversation.

2. When I go online to book a ticket I see that not all of the cascade trains have checked baggage service. If I was going to be taking the Cascades 509 from SEA to ALY that departs at 5:30 PM would it be possible to check my bag at 9AM so that it could travel with the coastal starlight to ALY? Even if my bag made it to ALY would there be anyone there to get them for me at near 11PM when the Cascades 509 arrives? I’m not planning on having a lot of luggage (just 1 rolling carry on bag) but I don’t want to drag it around Seattle all day while sight seeing. Alternatively is there anywhere in king street station to stash bags for a day?

3. I’m a rail enthusiast is there any noteworthy rail related activities that I should see while in Seattle, Portland or Albany OR area?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi apok!

As to whether business class is worth it, that is one of those questions only you can truly answer. I've ridden the Cascades several times and only ridden business class (Hey, I'm a first class kind of guy! :p :giggle: ) and there have always been quiet, low-key conversations. Nothing loud, boisterous, or out of control. What you get with business class is a coupon for $3 off any purchases in the bistro car, assigned seating ahead of time, and a newspaper. Most folks don't seem to think it's worth it for them. Again, that is something only you can truly decide. But as far as it being like a quiet car, you won't be the only ones talking!

According to Amtrak's website, station hours are between 8 AM and 5:45PM. You can store your bag at the King Street Station in Seattle in the baggage room. I've done this before. I don't remember what if any charge there was for this but I handed the attendant a $5 bill and he was happy with that.

Have fun! :)

I’m venturing to the pacific northwest for the first time and I have several questions about the amtrak cascades I’m hoping the wise people in this forum can help me with. I will be flying to Seattle then taking amtrak from SEA to ALY and returning a few days later. My sister will be meeting me in Seattle then after spending a day sight seeing we will be going to Albany OR. A few days later I will be travelling back to Seattle to catch my return flight. I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated.
1. Is business class worth it? I have read elsewhere online that business class on the cascades can be like a quiet car. Is this true? My sister and I are not particularly loud but we don’t want to be the only people having a conversation.

2. When I go online to book a ticket I see that not all of the cascade trains have checked baggage service. If I was going to be taking the Cascades 509 from SEA to ALY that departs at 5:30 PM would it be possible to check my bag at 9AM so that it could travel with the coastal starlight to ALY? Even if my bag made it to ALY would there be anyone there to get them for me at near 11PM when the Cascades 509 arrives? I’m not planning on having a lot of luggage (just 1 rolling carry on bag) but I don’t want to drag it around Seattle all day while sight seeing. Alternatively is there anywhere in king street station to stash bags for a day?

3. I’m a rail enthusiast is there any noteworthy rail related activities that I should see while in Seattle, Portland or Albany OR area?

1. Business class: Gets you a $3 voucher to use in cafe car, slightly better seating and most importantly, gets you a far smoother boarding process

in Seattle. Whether that's worth the extra $$$ is up to you to decide. My suggestion would be that if you spring for it, do so going south from SEA

but not north from ALY. (There's no particular boarding advantage in ALY for Biz Class pax and you'll have PLENTY of seating available in coach

at that point.)

Generally business class on the Cascades is quieter than coach, but that's because there are fewer people and fewer groups of folks traveling

together. It is not advertised as a "Quiet Car" nor is there an expectation that you should be any quieter than in coach. So feel free to converse.

2. Baggage: The reason you can't check bags to ALY on train 509 is that the ALY ticket agent/baggage handler isn't on duty when 509 arrives.

(The train itself offers checked bags, but only to stations that are open). It should be possible to check it on the Coast Starlight but keep in mind

that you will require two extra trips: One to King St. Station to check the bag in the morning, and one to the ALY station on the morning following

your arrival in ALY (the ticket office opens at 8 AM). You won't be able to retrieve your bag in ALY since it would be locked up in the station.

There is plenty of room on the Cascades for a typical carry-on suitcase. As far as storing a bag at King St. Station for the day, I know this was

possible at one time but the station is currently undergoing a massive renovation. So I don't know if that service is currently available. Someone

else here may know that.

3. I'll leave that to others. Can't say that ALY is a hotbed of rail fan activity, though.

JayPea

Thanks for your quick replies. I think I'll try business class on the trip leaving Seattle but will do coach on the way back.

fairviewroad

Thanks for you explanation of the baggage situation. It makes a lot of more sense to me now.

Perhaps of interest is the Portland & Willamette freight across the Coast Range out to the coast. I don;t know where they make it up (anybody know?) but it crawls through downtown Corvallis I think every afternoon. It's a big heavy sucker - 4 or 5 units on point, sometimes including a slug. There's also a fair bit of activity on the (now) UP mainline through Albany but nothing AFAIK of any special interest.

In Portland is the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation. They are in a brand new building which houses the SP4449 and the SP&S 700 steam locomotives. Also there are the OR&N 197 steam locomotive and an Alco PA, both are being restored. It is still a work in progress so nothing fancy, but previously most of these locomotives were stored in the interior of a railyard and were inaccessible to the public except during excursions, so it is nice that the public is now able to visit them again. The museum is next to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, so together they would be a nice day trip.

Also in Portland is the Washington Park & Oregon Zoo Railway. It is a nice ride that runs in a loop on forested hillsides and has stations at the Zoo and the Washington Park Rose Garden. Unfortunately it is closed right now due to construction work, but the website says It will reopen in the summer.

Exciting news about 4449 and SP&S 700 now being housed in a building accessible to the public.....

Might have to make a trip out to Portland to visit some old friends (both human and locomotive) this summer!

I’m venturing to the pacific northwest for the first time and I have several questions about the amtrak cascades I’m hoping the wise people in this forum can help me with. I will be flying to Seattle then taking amtrak from SEA to ALY and returning a few days later. My sister will be meeting me in Seattle then after spending a day sight seeing we will be going to Albany OR. A few days later I will be travelling back to Seattle to catch my return flight. I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated.1. Is business class worth it? I have read elsewhere online that business class on the cascades can be like a quiet car. Is this true? My sister and I are not particularly loud but we don’t want to be the only people having a conversation.

I usually sit in the lounge car just so I can hear the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back