Amtrak California buses

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
I've been looking and I haven't seen a lot of information or pictures about the buses. Our first segment is on a bus and sincce I have mobility issues, I'm always planning ahead so I know what to expect. It's been decades since I've been on a bus so I have a couple of questions.

a) I'm wondering how many steps there will be and if there are handrails on both sides?

b) Is there room for our small roller carryon luggage near our seat - can it fit below?

c) Bathrooms on board?

Any information would be great.! Thanks. Under 60 days for our big adventure!

The buses are like Grayhound buses. I've never counted the steps but my best guess is 3. I've also never noticed the handrails but I'm sure there is at a handrail on at least one side and probably both. The drivers are also usually pretty good about helping people on and off the bus.

The Amtrak website contains this information:

"Some routes in the Amtrak system include Thruway services. These include transportation provided by bus, train, ferry, van or taxi through a variety of operators. Amtrak dedicated Thruway bus services are accessible and lift-equipped. Thruway services provided by partners are also accessible but may require up to 48 hours advance notice. It is not possible to make reservations that include accessible Thruway services on Amtrak.com. For information and reservations call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or TTY (1-800-523-6590). Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

So probably best to call ahead.

There is not much room for luggage storage inside the bus, but there are luggage bays below the bus. The driver will load your bag for you.

There are bathrooms on board but I've never used it.

The Amtrak California buses are similar to Greyhound, but are not Greyhound. (Except on certain routes like some - or all - LAX to LV runs.) The other routes are operated ONLY for Amtrak passengers. (You must have a connecting train on your reservation.)

IMHO, the ones I've been on are MUCH better than a Greyhound bus! :)

I had a bus segment from Bakersfield to Santa Barbara. The bus was like a Charter Bus & the scenery was Awesome!!!! Sorry about the quality of the photo, but it was a beautiful ride!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The buses are indeed like Greyhound's. They can vary by make and model according to which carrier is contracted to operate which Thruway route you are riding, and even the same carrier may have different types in their fleets. Most common are MCI 'D', 'E', or 'J' models. Also Prevost 'H' or 'X' models, and also various Van Hools. They all have underfloor space for 'checked' baggage, and overhead racks for 'carryon' bags, although the MCI's are the only ones that will fit larger bags overhead. They usually all have restrooms on board, with toilets, and hand sanitizer. These are located in the back of the bus. Most of these buses require from 4 to 6 steps to enter, and most can 'kneel' to make the large first step easier. They also have wheelchair lifts. I believe the ADA law now requires them on all coaches, with no longer a need for advance notification, but best to be sure by calling.

The buses are indeed like Greyhound's. They can vary by make and model according to which carrier is contracted to operate which Thruway route you are riding, and even the same carrier may have different types in their fleets. Most common are MCI 'D', 'E', or 'J' models. Also Prevost 'H' or 'X' models, and also various Van Hools. They all have underfloor space for 'checked' baggage, and overhead racks for 'carryon' bags, although the MCI's are the only ones that will fit larger bags overhead. They usually all have restrooms on board, with toilets, and hand sanitizer. These are located in the back of the bus. Most of these buses require from 4 to 6 steps to enter, and most can 'kneel' to make the large first step easier. They also have wheelchair lifts. I believe the ADA law now requires them on all coaches, with no longer a need for advance notification, but best to be sure by calling.
Just to clarify one point. You may put baggage in the under-bus bins even though it was not "checked" on the train. So bags you "carry on" the train can be put in the under-bus bins.

I took the Ambus from San Francisco Ferry Pier to Santa Barbara. It was a "coach"

rather than a bus. It had comfortable seating, a restroom and fast WiFi. The driver

was friendly, helpful and a good driver. We stopped half way through the trip to get

some lunch. The coach was about one-half filled with Amtrak passengers.

It was a most pleasant trip.

I took the Ambus from San Francisco Ferry Pier to Santa Barbara. It was a "coach"rather than a bus. It had comfortable seating, a restroom and fast WiFi. The driver

was friendly, helpful and a good driver. We stopped half way through the trip to get

I agree, the Only Way to Roll on the 101! ;) ( If only you didnt have to get up so early! :giggle: )

I took the Ambus from San Francisco Ferry Pier to Santa Barbara. It was a "coach"rather than a bus. It had comfortable seating, a restroom and fast WiFi. The driver

I agree, the Only Way to Roll on the 101! ;) ( If only you didnt have to get up so early! :giggle: )
Yes, the coach departs precisely at 6:35am!!

Thanks so much! We are going from Salinas to SLO to catch the Surfliner. We will take the Coast Starlight eight days later on the last segment (fingers crossed SW Chief makes the connection) but was a bit worried about the buses but sounds like the little bag we carry in to the roomette will be able to go with us on the bus. It has our pillows, blankets, cameras, etc. I should be able to manuever the stairs but I always like to be mentally prepared for all situations and then I am better able to roll with all the unexpected stuff! I'll have to try and take a picture on the bus!

Salinas to SLO is operated by Silverado Stages, a bus contractor. They have many different bus types including a few new buses. All should have wi-fi, though the connection will only be as good as the signal in the area you are going though. I have ridden many of the trips they operate. The buses were well maintained and the Operators were professional. There will be a meal break/restroom stop at the King City McDonald's (rather nice McDonald's location) about an hour south of Salinas. There is a restroom in the coach but it is more for emergencies and what goes in the toilet stays in the holding tank in the bus.

They mainly use newer Volvo and Setra buses with a few Van Hool's in the mix along with some Prevosts that are mostly reserves now. There usually is at least one handrail on the entry 4-6 stairs. And there is luggage space below the coach (operator loads and unloads for you) as well as smaller space under your seat or above the seats in the interior.

There is nice scenery along 101 through some parts, mostly the grade into SLO on your trip.

All and all the buses must meet Caltrans and CHP standards and the operators would like to keep their contracts as well so the service generally is pretty good.

a) There's typically around five steps to get up. They are usually very short steps, so they should be pretty easy to manage. Most buses have handrails on both sides.

b) The overhead and under-seat storage on these buses is typically very small, only large enough for a backpack or a small duffle bag. Anything larger, like airline "roll-aboard" will need to be placed into the under bus storage area. The bus driver will load and unload the bag for you (so they can sort the bags by destination.)

c) Expect a simple chemical toilet (that may or may not flush) with alcohol hand sanitizer or moist towelettes. Also since you asked about handrails... most buses have a handrail integrated into the overhead rack. That should make it easier to get to the restroom as the bus rolls down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amtrak California buses are similar to Greyhound, but are not Greyhound. (Except on certain routes like some - or all - LAX to LV runs.) The other routes are operated ONLY for Amtrak passengers. (You must have a connecting train on your reservation.)
It's my understanding, however, that the_traveler is still cheesed off about the quality of the Thruway penthouse suites. ;)

Granted... I've never been on a Greyhound bus. (Travelling solely on buses isn't my thing.)

But... Greyhound's new buses look much nicer than Amtrak California buses I've taken. Bigger leather seats, more leg room and WiFi. I'd rather be stuck on that on my trip from Bakersfield to Los Angeles.

That being said... some of the Amtrak California buses used on the Bakersfield - Southern California route are getting nicer. The one I saw at Fullerton Train Days had nicer (but still cloth) seats, tray tables, WiFi and some of the seats in the back were rear-facing and had a conference (or play!) table between them. I just wish all the buses were like that... some on the Bakersfield routes still look pretty old and ragged.

Yeah, but if you were riding Greyhound you'd be stuck in that dump called the Los Angeles Greyhound terminal. No thanks.

Granted... I've never been on a Greyhound bus. (Travelling solely on buses isn't my thing.)

But... Greyhound's new buses look much nicer than Amtrak California buses I've taken. Bigger leather seats, more leg room and WiFi. I'd rather be stuck on that on my trip from Bakersfield to Los Angeles.

That being said... some of the Amtrak California buses used on the Bakersfield - Southern California route are getting nicer. The one I saw at Fullerton Train Days had nicer (but still cloth) seats, tray tables, WiFi and some of the seats in the back were rear-facing and had a conference (or play!) table between them. I just wish all the buses were like that... some on the Bakersfield routes still look pretty old and ragged.
It is a reality that there can be a large difference in the age, and the condition of buses used on Thruway services. I wonder just how much detail Amtrak or Caltrans writes into their specifications in their service contracts.....and if there are any inspectors whose duties are dedicated to watching for compliance with the specs...

They do have contract inspection and I've met some of the managers at local rail corridor agency meetings. Some of the vehicles are Amtrak California-owned and many of them are procured per Amtrak California specifications.

While we're talking about the buses, I took the bus from EMY over to SFO at Fisherman's Wharf. In 4 days I'm ticketed back to EMY to continue our trip on the CS. My question is do I board the bus at the wharf stop? There are several locations listed on the timetable. Is one better than another? Also, what time would you Cali experts recommend to get back to EMY in time to check bags on the northbound CS? Thanks for the help.

The Ferry Terminal Amtrak Station is a Full Service Amtrak Station without Trains! (The Buses stop in front on the Street) You can Check Luggage, Purchase Tickets etc. since it is a Staffed Station! I'm not sure with the current BART Strike ongoing if the Am Bus to the Emeryville Station will be Full but the Trip across the Bay Bridge is Quick and Pleasant! As you know you must have a Train ticket to ride these Buses!

I saw the ferry terminal. It was the stop before FW. Would it be better to board there? Our tickets read Fish to EMY.

They do have contract inspection and I've met some of the managers at local rail corridor agency meetings. Some of the vehicles are Amtrak California-owned and many of them are procured per Amtrak California specifications.
Interesting....I was not aware that Amtrak (or rather, Amtrak California), actually owned any buses. Do they operate them as well, or do they simply supply the equipment to a private operator or contractor......here in the East, New Jersey Transit does just that.... in some cases, they own and operate their buses, in others, they purchase the bus, and then lease them for like a dollar a year to certain private operators.....

I saw the ferry terminal. It was the stop before FW. Would it be better to board there? Our tickets read Fish to EMY.
I would prefer boarding at the Ferry Terminal myself, because it is the 'main' stop, and as mentioned, there are agents there for information just in case the bus does not 'show up' on schedule....

That said, I don't know if not having the Ferry Terminal printed on your ticket as your origin, would be an issue or not.....suggest calling Amtrak to confirm......

You can call to change if from SFW to SFC, however it generally does not matter on the originating stop in San Francisco, especially if changing to the Ferry Building. I did ask at the desk once since I had a ticket from SFF and they said just to use the same ticket.

SFC does have a small interior waiting area which can be nice depending on the weather. The bus stop itself is at the curb by the street while the office is set a ways back where you can not easily see the street.

I would prefer boarding at the Ferry Terminal myself, because it is the 'main' stop, and as mentioned, there are agents there for information just in case the bus does not 'show up' on schedule....

That said, I don't know if not having the Ferry Terminal printed on your ticket as your origin, would be an issue or not.....suggest calling Amtrak to confirm......
The one time I took an EMY-SFC bus, the driver was adamant that we had to have a proper ticket for the route, especially since his bus was reserved only and attached to the San Joaquin. Of course it makes sense. There were something like six different buses at about the same time and they were split up into pairs - each pair attached to the same train and where the buses in each pair were assigned to go to different stops in SF. Each pair was attached to a different Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, or long distance train.

Now going the other way may be another issue provided there is space on the bus.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've still got a couple days here and will probably swing by the ferru trm. According to the tickets, scheduled departure from SFW isn't until 2055 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back