Amtrak Blankets to be Sealed for your Protection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind a freshly laundered blanket but this seems about on the same level as fretting about when your seat upholstery was last sanitized.

I find the in-room toilet in the Viewliners more icky even as I appreciate the convenience.

On a recent trip (Empire Builder), blankets were not wrapped on either leg, outbound and return. Even a spare blanket was not wrapped.

I will tell you that these SUCK! HORRIBLE static on them and constant little shocks. Really poor decision.

I think Amtrak started bagging the blankets purely for the shock value.

:lol:

Considering the things that happen in bedding I'm glad they are being washed after each use, but plastic wrap is overkill to me.

The though of 80 mph club.... 110 on the NEC and blankets that are rarely washed...... not a good mental image to me.....

Glad I didn't use the blankets in the sealed bags last night, I figured they weren't washed. I'm going to purchase the coach class comfort kit with a small blanket for my sleeper unit for the use of 2 more nights.

I also found a lot of different colored hair on the folding mattress pad sheet. Do they ever change that sheet? Luckily, no hairs on the actual bed up there. I wouldn't have slept up there if I found some.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience in December on the Coast Starlight, the Southwest Chief and the Empire Builder was that the beds were made traditionally with the blankets on the bed on the Starlight and the Southwest Chief. I got the blanket sealed in a bag on the Empire Builder.

Consistent Inconsistency.

I think the bagged blanket is stupid, BTW. When were you given a blanket in a sealed plastic bag in a hotel? Plus as many have pointed out, it is the sheets that really count. Anybody want to have a set of blankets and sheets sealed and waiting for you to make up the bed yourself? I am sure Amtrak would like it, they could destaff the sleeping cars.

My experience in December on the Coast Starlight, the Southwest Chief and the Empire Builder was that the beds were made traditionally with the blankets on the bed on the Starlight and the Southwest Chief. I got the blanket sealed in a bag on the Empire Builder.

Consistent Inconsistency.

I think the bagged blanket is stupid, BTW. When were you given a blanket in a sealed plastic bag in a hotel? Plus as many have pointed out, it is the sheets that really count. Anybody want to have a set of blankets and sheets sealed and waiting for you to make up the bed yourself? I am sure Amtrak would like it, they could destaff the sleeping cars.
Thanks for the warning. Guess I'll pack my lightweight down sleeping bag and forego the bagged blankets next month on the EB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back