Amtrak Autumn Express 2015 (Oct 24 & Oct 25)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then the problem becomes finding Amtrak crews who are qualified to run over that rare mileage, which is, by definition, routes over which Amtrak does not regularly run its trains. Perhaps the more likely option wiuld be to find some rr historical society or club willing to contract with the owner of the rare mileage line to run a special passenger train over their trackage. AAPRCO does this nearly every year; but then, their members may be more willing to pay the high costs invilved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy the URHS single car excursions hitched onto Amtrak trains, like the Hudson Limited using the ex-NYC Hickory Creek. But that is a very different kind of operation from the Amtrak Autumn Excursions.

Back to the 2015 Amtrak Excursion, anyone know if there is a box lunch included this year? Couldn't find any mention of it. Wonder if I missed it because I did not look hard enough.

BTW, for those taking trip on Saturday, I plan to get to Albany station around 7am. Unless people already start moving to the platform I will station myself on the pedestrian area across the tracks. I will be wearing a cap with the old classic Amtrak logo on it. I know there are a few here that are riding the Saturday run. Perhaps we should meet up before boarding?

Back to the 2015 Amtrak Excursion, anyone know if there is a box lunch included this year? Couldn't find any mention of it. Wonder if I missed it because I did not look hard enough.
The press release states that there will be a boxed lunch provided.

I always enjoy the URHS single car excursions hitched onto Amtrak trains, like the Hudson Limited using the ex-NYC Hickory Creek. But that is a very different kind of operation from the Amtrak Autumn Excursions.

BTW, for those taking trip on Saturday, I plan to get to Albany station around 7am. Unless people already start moving to the platform I will station myself on the pedestrian area across the tracks. I will be wearing a cap with the old classic Amtrak logo on it. I know there are a few here that are riding the Saturday run. Perhaps we should meet up before boarding?
I will be staying in Albany Friday night and cabbing over to the station by 7. I believe several others are staying in Albany and coming over Saturday morning as well. Hoping to do some points runs on Friday PM after my LSL arrives (hopefully, on time. :p )

I will arrive in the Albany area around 10pm on Friday. I will be driving up from Newark Airport after I arrive there around 6:30/7pm.

I will just drive down from my hotel to the station I think. The $12 a day parking fee in the deck should be less than the cab fare to and from the station.

I will be staying in Albany Friday night and cabbing over to the station by 7. I believe several others are staying in Albany and coming over Saturday morning as well. Hoping to do some points runs on Friday PM after my LSL arrives (hopefully, on time. :p )
Since RRBill is taller than the average AU member, I vote for using him as a "landmark." I may cab over with Bill. Bill, will you be wearing a hat to make yourself more recognizable?

And I will be leaving Queens at "O-Dark-Thirty" for the drive up to ALB....probably stop for a good breakfast at some diner in the vicinity, and look for a spot in the lot....

probably arrive the station at around 0700.

I hope they have the 'queue' as organized as they did in Philly.... :) .

Since RRBill is taller than the average AU member, I vote for using him as a "landmark." I may cab over with Bill. Bill, will you be wearing a hat to make yourself more recognizable?
Sure, just because I look like a lighthouse with my Amtrak hat & pins (and perhaps my Ohio State Buckeyes sweatshirt) I probably will be recognizable. See you on Friday & Saturday :p :p

As of 9am this morning, there were two seats left for the Saturday trip and at least 8 and probably more for the Sunday trip. Looks like weather will be nice and sunny on Saturday in the 50s.

Looking forward to a nice ride on the LSL tomorrow and a beautiful day in NY & MA on Saturday. :)

Good evening all - traveling to ALB on Saturday morning for the excursion. I'm bringing my six year old son who is a rail fan and devoted Amtrak rider if ever there was one. He's excited about the trip and love, love, loves to swap train stories, learn about railroad history, and train equipment. We'll be easy to find, I expect. He'll be the curly blond-headed kid with the GIANT non-removable grin plastered on his face. I'll be his slightly bedraggled, but no less enthused, mother-in-tow clinging to my coffee cup. We love conversations, so if anybody is up for some train talk with a 6-yo conversationalist, seek us out.

• Flat price of $129 for adults and includes a boxed lunch and a souvenir tote bag.
I remember the first Autumn Excursion had a very good lunch sandwich, cookies, fruit, etc and water. Also a very nice souvenir carry bag.

Mmmm. I think most people will like the source of the food on this trip (I'll leave it as a surprise). Two of the heritage units are on the head end pulling 11 (including two split clubs and the concession car) and weather looks like it will hold up. I hope everyone enjoys themselves.

It's too bad the train can't stop outside of the tunnel for the members to step out and have a photo session.

Wishing you all a good journey! Send pictures!

I'm especially thrilled that Penny was finally able to get out of the southeast and will see our beautiful Autumn colors this year! :)

Wishing you all a good journey! Send pictures!

I'm especially thrilled that Penny was finally able to get out of the southeast and will see our beautiful Autumn colors this year! :)
Thank you. I am looking across the Hudson River right now and seeing beautiful colors. :)

Hello??? I'm channeling my inner Pink Floyd here.

fdd878b0df345d5652e0baeaf5a26257.jpg

I expected to see a post by now. I guess the trees, mountains and tunnels are interfering with Wi-fi.

I'm anxiously awaiting a report, particularly on the food. I like Panera....usually. Sometimes, I need something deep fried. :)

Today's consist:

85999 - serving as the "store"

I found one video of the train. It was taken by a Chris Read at North Adams, Massachusetts.

It was another great success. 'Props' to Amtrak, and all of those responsible for its production and those working on it. :hi:

The weather was very nice, the scenery glorious, and the operation just about flawless. I enjoyed myself very much, even though I had a rough start (had a flat tire enroute, that almost caused me to miss it....thank goodness I started out early, and had enough time to change the tire and still make it).....

Again sorry that I didn't formally meet anyone here, but I did speak to many very knowledgeable fellow passenger's. I also had the good fortune to get to speak to Mr. Brian Gallagher of Amtrak---a very down-to-earth, top level executive---a real pleasure to meet. He seemed to love conversing with the passenger's on a one-to-one basis, rather than insulate himself by several layers as some do....

Now its time to fill out the official survey, and provide suggestions for next year's excursion..... :)

Hello??? I'm channeling my inner Pink Floyd here.

fdd878b0df345d5652e0baeaf5a26257.jpg

I expected to see a post by now. I guess the trees, mountains and tunnels are interfering with Wi-fi.

I'm anxiously awaiting a report, particularly on the food. I like Panera....usually. Sometimes, I need something deep fried. :)
I tried a few times, but for some reason, I can't seem to log in on my phone....each time I enter my login, it never works....the login page comes back again. I also clicked on the box for the 'full version', but that doesn't work either, so had to wait until on my home computer to post...

Just returned to Ohio this morning after a great Autumn Excursion trip. Enjoyed seeing several familiar faces and riding in the car with Penny, Jishnu, Alan & Grace. Alice from California was also a rider in another car. The colors were pretty good, the train ride excellent and another kudo to the Amtrak staff for their friendly attitudes and efficient service. Lots of history that I am interested in on this rail line including the building of the Hoosac Tunnel and the branch lines that served along the way. The Panera Bread sandwich was very good as were the cookies, chips etc. Only disappointment was a lack of souvenirs about this trip other than the nice carrying bag. Did pick up some more pins, and magnets in the souvenir car but Amtrak missed the boat not having T-shirts, pins, hat with the excellent monogram of an Amtrak train coming out of the tunnel .

My return trip on the LSL 48 included a great dinner with Shanghai from Florida but tragedy as well as a freight hit a vehicle somewhere west of Erie and we sat for almost two hours on a siding while they cleared the wreckage. Arrival into CLE this morning at 6 am. Just missed breakfast :eek: on the train. But said goodbye to Shanghai and hoping he makes his TE connection in Chicago today.

Sorry we missed Railiner and perhaps some other AU members. I stood as a beacon with my shining Amtrak pins at 7 am hoping other members would be drawn to us.. :p :p

Had a great time and looking forward to next year

RRB

To every one riding today, enjoy. I wish we could do it all again. We so enjoyed the trip and the excellent conversations with fellow riders. We got a special kick out of seeing folks lined up along the route at crossings, bridges, etc. taking pictures. That's usually us. To quote my son, "Mom, we're getting rail fanned so hard right now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back