Amtrak announces Simplified Fares coming soon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New fare rules are now in effect:

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/changes-refunds/refund-and-cancellation-policy.html
Basically as described before, with Sale fares replacing Saver and giving a 50% refund, Value giving a 75% refund, and Flex giving a full refund. The refund/cancellation policy for rooms remains the same as it has been, so eVouchers will still be a thing. In looking at fares it seems flex generally costs only 10% more than value. Also, all non-Acela business class and Acela first class fares are flex fares.

So I was skeptical on how this would play out, but it seems like a huge fare reduction? My mother recently paid ~$50 from West Palm Beach to Palatka, but it now looks like the senior fare is $27 with fully refundable being $29.

Edit: Maybe the Florida fares are just steeply discounted? From WPB to Jacksonville is $28, but the next stop in Jesup, Georgia is $55. Probably not even part of the new fare system and I just never noticed it lol

Last edited:
I hadn’t priced it previously, but today got our Cascade tix for next September from SEA to VAC (? Vancouver, not sure if I have the right code) and was very happy that the fully refundable/changeable was only $3 more pp. We may add the CS from Los Angeles if fares for that leg come down, so wanted to be able to change if it improved the overall fare.

Last edited:
Isn't it annoying and sad, how the corporate self image of Amtrak, as shown in the "About Amtrak" section of the above item, is at such variance with the reality of the Amtrak american train experience in recent times?

Quote: "For more than 50 years, Amtrak has connected America and modernized train travel. Offering a safe, environmentally efficient way to reach more than 500 destinations across 46 states and parts of Canada, Amtrak provides travelers with an experience that sets a new standard." :(
Was that 50 years ago that ARROW started!!

New fare rules are now in effect:

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/changes-refunds/refund-and-cancellation-policy.html
Basically as described before, with Sale fares replacing Saver and giving a 50% refund, Value giving a 75% refund, and Flex giving a full refund. The refund/cancellation policy for rooms remains the same as it has been, so eVouchers will still be a thing. In looking at fares it seems flex generally costs only 10% more than value. Also, all non-Acela business class and Acela first class fares are flex fares.
Do the same refund percentages also apply for point redemptions tickets?

So, I'm a bit concerned that in some areas, the resulting fare cuts are set to put Amtrak and the local commuter agencies into a bit of a twist. In VA and MD, in particular, the "lowball" refundable fares are now undercutting monthly pass rates...and while these rates tie you to a specific train, they're refundaable, so pairing them (particularly post-RPA discount) with a stray ten-ride (or one-way on the commuter line, or even just eating a higher-priced Amtrak ticket) is a viable option. Oh, and this is happening while commuter agency ridership has taken a sharp kick in the rear from the pandemic.

What could possibly go wrong?

The biggest change seems to be how flexible fares are done. In the past flexible fares were essentially purchasing out of a higher bucket to get the benefit of flexibility which meant they were much higher cost for advance reservations. Now flex fares seem to be based on the current available lowest bucket and essentially just add a fee on top of that. In many cases just a $1 or a few dollars.

Seeing how this is working, I think I like it. I also think it will increase revenue for the railroad. I would never in a million years think to pay for a flexible fare when an $18 saver was available. I’d just roll the dice. I, and I suspect others, would pay an extra few bucks to have the flexibility.

I recently needed to cancel a trip. Rather than cancel my Amtrak reservation I decided to modify my same endpoints to a later date. In doing so Amtrak offered me a new higher price but also the option of a Flex fare $4 higher than Saver fare. The Flex fare is fully refundable even though the original fare was not. I don't recall seeing this Flex fare before.

They're very handy if you're taking a discretionary trip and you can't use your 12-hour upgrade coupon or there are no decent seats left on the departure. You can cancel without penalty and try booking for another day. I also had a situation recently where I accidentally booked the wrong day and when I got to the station, I wondered why my train wasn't on the board. Because I bought a flex ticket, I was able to cancel and rebook on the fly with no penalty, and the extra cost of the Flex ticket was only about $4 for a ~$40 fare.

Back