Amtrak Adirondack dome car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10mk

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if the Adirondack will be adding the extra dome/ observation car this year? I'm gonna make a trip to Montreal, and that might effect my planning.

I'm not sure, but they usually do every September/October.

If like prior years, it leaves ALB northbound on Wednesday, Friday & Sunday. It leaves Montreal southbound on Thursday, Saturday & Monday. (It does not run on Tuesday.)

If like prior years, it leaves ALB northbound on Wednesday, Friday & Sunday. It leaves Montreal southbound on Thursday, Saturday & Monday. (It does not run on Tuesday.)
You've got your days a little off the rails. Leaves ALB northbound on Thursday, Saturday & Monday. It leaves Montreal southbound on Friday, Sunday & Tuesday. (It does not run on Wednesday.)

This link should get you to 2016's official webpage:

https://www.amtrak.com/fall-travel-on-the-great-dome-car

Let's hope certain members aren't riding when you ride... They will set a stop watch when you enter the car and inform you when you're viewing time is up!

You've got your days a little off the rails. Leaves ALB northbound on Thursday, Saturday & Monday. It leaves Montreal southbound on Friday, Sunday & Tuesday. (It does not run on Wednesday.)

Thank you! I think I've seen the 2016 schedule before, but I wasn't sure if amtrak was planning the same schedule for 2017.

Thank you! I think I've seen the 2016 schedule before, but I wasn't sure if amtrak was planning the same schedule for 2017.
Days of the week have been very consistent year to year. Actual start and end dates for the season, you'll have to wait till they are confirmed and announced as it get closer.

I've been trying to find out about this also. Just called Amtrak customer service who told me they don't know anything about it. Then said it would be running Sept 28 to November 1.

Onboard magazine says September 28 to October 29.

Funny, but I took the Ethan Allen from Saratoga Springs to Poughkeepsie last Monday and there, in Saratoga, on a siding, was what I could have sworn was the Great Dome Car.

I really want to ride in this car but am afraid that it will fill up, and then those who have seats will just stay in them for the whole trip.

Odd that Amtrak announced it in the New York by Rail magazine, but did not give specifics about which trains and which dates it would be on.

It does not fill up. I guess most passengers either don't know it's on their train, or "don't want to get up from my seat and walk that far"! The times I've ridden it on the Adirondack there were plenty of open seats.

I rode the Dome on the Adirondack a couple of years ago and there were always plenty of seats available A Dome just doesn't have the same allure to others as it does to railfans. So unless there's lots of fans aboard....you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat.

Same goes for VIA's Domes. Always plenty of seats on the Ocean and the only time I've seen them filled on the Canadian...is through the mountains

20170323_082001_001.jpg

Back