Amtrak 59 Dinner After Departure?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I never realized there was no chef. Bummer. I am taking the train in a sleeper to Champaign, IL with my grandmother. I know that we won´t get to sleep, just nice to have that rather than be in coach. Will they take your reservation for the dining car in the lounge? I know they do that for the Capitol Limited, I normally ride the lake shore Ltd, and was looking forward to an actual dining car on the CNO.

Okay, I saw it was only sandwiches, or salad for the way down for dinner. Do I need to make a reservation for the dining car, in the lounge, as service in the dining car begins immediately?

That's an oldtime nickname for the CONO dating back to Illinois Central days. Since many passengers would bring their own meals on board the train, and since its run is largely in the south, fried chicken was a favorite meal.

That's an oldtime nickname for the CONO dating back to Illinois Central days. Since many passengers would bring their own meals on board the train, and since its run is largely in the south, fried chicken was a favorite meal.
One account I read explained the right of way was literally littered with chicken bones pax threw out the vestibule door windows
default_smile.png

Or just be a responsible human and buy your own dinner.

Amtrak doesn’t charge extra for the meals you consume when your train is late. Expecting them to compensate you for missed meals for the same reason is a bit over the top.

After looking at the menu (which at first I thought had a page missing), I am wondering why bother wandering over to the dining car. Even the kids only get macaroni and cheese (no hot dog)! Best bet seems to end your trip at one of the cities along the route with good food!
default_tongue.png

Back