Amtrak 2017 Autumn Excursion October 14-15 up and down the Hudson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plotted it out at 282 miles: 10 miles to NYP to Newark, then 134 miles to Selkirk, 22 miles from Selkirk to Hudson, then 116 miles back to NYP.

The Autumn Express will change to diesel power, presumably P42s, at NWK. Once it crosses the Hudson River, will it just go down the southbound ramp to the old NYC line or will it back up the northbound ramp to ALB to get dual-modes?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to a post on Facebook from a planner of the trips:

1. The Saturday trip is sold out as of Tuesday 10/3. The Sunday trip is still available

2. Pins will be distributed after departure from NWK

3. For the non-vegans the box lunch is Turkey

4. The train will board at Track 10 at NYP

5. Boarding will start around 7:20am

6. There maybe a runby photo shoot opportunity for the riders at Rhinecliff.

According to a post on Facebook from a planner of the trips:

1. The Saturday trip is sold out as of Tuesday 10/3. The Sunday trip is still available

2. Pins will be distributed after departure from NWK

3. For the non-vegans the box lunch is Turkey

4. The train will board at Track 10 at NYP

5. Boarding will start around 7:20am

6. There maybe a runby photo shoot opportunity for the riders at Rhinecliff.
Thanks for relaying that info....sounds like the usual excursion details...lunch will probably be in one of those insulated souvenir bags. Any word on the consist? Similar to last year, or maybe a surprise?

Yeah....we seem to be lucky, weather-wise, for the fifth year, straight... :cool:

Although, for the leaf-peeper's on the train, I'm not so sure....

Yeah....we seem to be lucky, weather-wise, for the fifth year, straight... :cool:

Although, for the leaf-peeper's on the train, I'm not so sure....
This seems to a year where the leaves will go from green to brown to ground. :( (reminds me of my "fall foliage" wedding almost 33 years ago).

As someone said, for some of us, the fewer the leaves the better. :)
I hear that! "Shake the trees, and rake the leaves!" :) The less leaves, the better the view thru the trees....

I don't think people just looking for fall foliage, make up much of the passenger's...they could simply take a round trip on the Empire trains for a lot less..or better yet, drive to where the foliage is at its peak.

This is really just a train for us 'rare mileage fans'.....

I am not on FB....could you relate what it shows?
From one of many posts on FB

Amtrak Phase III Heritage Unit P42DC No. 145 leads KP-701 headed to New York for it's big day on Saturday and Sunday on the Autumn Express with Veterans ACS-64 No. 642 behind, Metroliner No. 9800, 2 cafes, and Phase I P42DC No. 156 in the back

Amtrak Phase III Heritage Unit P42DC No. 145 leads KP-701 headed to New York for it's big day on Saturday and Sunday on the Autumn Express with Veterans ACS-64 No. 642 behind, Metroliner No. 9800, 2 cafes, and Phase I P42DC No. 156 in the back
Thanks! :) ......But what is KP-701? :unsure:

Thanks! :) ......But what is KP-701? :unsure:
Oh...think I found it...is it the symbol for a train from Bear, DE?

I'll be on both trains. I'll be wearing a purple sweater, an Adirondack Scenic Railway hat, and carrying an SPV railroad atlas. Feel free to say hi. :)

Okay....Ill look for you...I havent decided on my wardrobe yet :)

But Ill try to get a seat in the front car (rear leaving NYP)...

We'll be on board Saturday.

We try to get the seats at the bulkhead end of a car by the bathroom so that tiny Keith Richards has room to stand and wiggle around.

I'll have on jeans, flip flops, and probably a blue headband.

Back