Amtrak’s for-profit regulation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that. (I follow Will on Twitter; he promotes his columns.) He was, more or less, using Amtrak as an example of the problems with Public/Private corporations. Not sure I agreed with everything he said. Usually he's right on.

Amtrak is pretty much a quasi-government entity. The federal government owns the stock, or at least nearly all the stock. The charter is a bit different than other forms of public transport, but that's really what it is. On top of that, Amtrak's police are trained at federal government facilities, which aren't available to private entities.

QUANGO is the term used in the UK. ("Quasi Non Governmental Organization"). In New York, we tend to call them Authorities, though the official term is Public Benefit Corporation. They're exceedingly common, though there aren't very many at the *federal* level in the US.

Perhaps it is finally time to recognize that Amtrak is, for all tense and purposes, one glorified national transit network and change the law to reflect that fact, thereby putting to rest once and for all the lie that it is "for profit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back