AMTK 39973

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is currently deadhead on the rear of Train #3 (07). Released from Beech Grove April 6. Now named SANTA LUCIA HIGHLANDS.
I'm sorry... what is the significance of this car and this post? Is this a private car, or is there some history here that I've missed?

The car is currently deadhead on the rear of Train #3 (07). Released from Beech Grove April 6. Now named SANTA LUCIA HIGHLANDS.
I'm sorry... what is the significance of this car and this post? Is this a private car, or is there some history here that I've missed?
It's a PPC (Pacific Parlour Car) that has been refurbished and is now returning to LA for use on the Coast Starlight.

They really should give all the non-coach cars names, in my opinon. Or at least, Lounge, Diner, Sleeper, and Parlour cars. I guess Regional trains shouldn't have named Cafes. They need names before they deserve named cars.

Is this the same car that we had on the Cascades, Seattle to Vancouver BC, for a couple of weeks in February/March? I knew it was on our train and I missed it, and was sorry about that. Or was ours a different one?

They really should give all the non-coach cars names, in my opinon. Or at least, Lounge, Diner, Sleeper, and Parlour cars. I guess Regional trains shouldn't have named Cafes. They need names before they deserve named cars.
All the sleepers in Amtrak's roster do have names, although except for two cars, the rest of the Superliner I sleepers never had the names painted on the car.

Many Amfleet II lounge cars also have names.

And they stopped painting the names on with the Phase V, I think.

I just think it costs next to nothing- whats a little paint?- but adds a lot character to it.

And they stopped painting the names on with the Phase V, I think.
I just think it costs next to nothing- whats a little paint?- but adds a lot character to it.
No, the entire Superline I sleeper fleet never ever had the names painted on the cars, except for two of the cars. Those two exceptions where 32003 Edward Ullman and 32009 George M. Pullman. This was long before phase V, and probably before phase III.

When first purchased, the cars didn't even have names on them. It wasn't until 1992, when the Superliner II's were entering service, that names were given to the cars. For that reason 32008 and 32010 never even got names assigned to them at all, since they were already wrecked and scrapped by the time the names were handed out. Incidentally, almost all of the Superliner I names are National Parks.

It would be nice if they had a larger fleet of the Hi Level Lounges to convert for other trains. I remember riding in one of these when it was the "standard" lounge on a Sunset Limited set several years ago and compared to the Sightseer, it is a well built, sturdy car that had that classic 50s look to it.

Is it possible that one of the reasons for the Diner/Lounge is to allow some of the Sightseers to be freed up for conversion to first class lounges?

Is it possible that one of the reasons for the Diner/Lounge is to allow some of the Sightseers to be freed up for conversion to first class lounges?
Not a chance!

Sightseer Lounge cars are being converted to Lounge-Diner cars, hardly a first class car. :(
Well, the "Lounge-Diner" is not particularly well defined. What if the "Diner-Lounge" becomes the coach diner/lounge area and kitchen, while the Lounge-Diner is a first class lounge and diner?

Not a chance!

Sightseer Lounge cars are being converted to Lounge-Diner cars, hardly a first class car. :(
Well, the "Lounge-Diner" is not particularly well defined. What if the "Diner-Lounge" becomes the coach diner/lounge area and kitchen, while the Lounge-Diner is a first class lounge and diner?
Still doesn't matter, Amtrak is trying to cut food service costs, not increase them. There are no plans to roll out something fancy for sleeping class passengers. The best we can hope for is that they won't convert the Sightseer lounge cars into something less useful for sight seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back