Amenities that have disappeared from Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more route schedules or routes guides in sleeper accommodations.

I got back this morning from a CZ round trip.
Those have always been hit or miss In my experience. It's a nice touch for sure.
Given how often Amtrak trains run late, having a paper schedule to check how late we're running at each stop is hugely helpful for folks trying to figure out when they're likely to actually arrive at their destination.

Given how often Amtrak trains run late, having a paper schedule to check how late we're running at each stop is hugely helpful for folks trying to figure out when they're likely to actually arrive at their destination.
Julie claims a late train many times makes up time. I guess because a late train can leave each remaining station as soon as it is ready.

Though, I remember wondering if it would be at all possible for the train to go fast enough, so that we'll arrive at my destination 10 minutes ago.
default_biggrin.png

Those have always been hit or miss In my experience. It's a nice touch for sure.
I used the Amtrak app Status option on my phone to keep track if we were on schedule, or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've learned to print out my own and bring with me on the train.

For example, this one for the CS: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/routeguides/Amtrak-Coast-Starlight-Train-Route-Guide-2014.pdf

These exist for all major Amtrak trains on the Amtrak website. Not sure about the shorter runs. Find them here: https://www.amtrak.com/routes.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I leave on my trip I download the PDF schedules for all the trains I will be taking into a file accessible off line if out of coverage, also include other schedules for options in case a Plan B is needed.

I know that downloading schedules is doable--so does everyone else on this forum. I do think, though, that Amtrak might ought to make the train experience friendlier for passengers who are new to Amtrak and/or not foaming rail fans.

It seems a fair bet that the marketing and customer-satisfaction value of having printed schedules AND A SYSTEM ROUTE MAP available on the train would exceed the small cost of printing them. Cutting "amenities" has a cost, which may or may not be fully offset by Amtrak not having to pay for the amenities.

Things like maps, timetables, and route guides don't have to cost Amtrak anything, if they would include travel related, or otherwise, advertising. As a matter of fact, Amtrak doesn't even have to produce them....there are outside media companies that specialize in that business, and all Amtrak would have to do maybe, is approve their content, prior to production or distribution.

I miss most the variation in railroad colors and decor. Second I miss the first class lounge and diner which used to be a part of any better name train consist. I miss the single seats per side of the GM&O fan tale parlor car and the attendant who always shined your shoes and brushed you off as you left the train. (he also gathered up all the luggage and sat it off before the passengers departed). I miss the domes and game rooms that ran on many streamliners including Amtrak for some years after they took over. I miss truly attentive and friendly porters such as the Pullman Company demanded. I miss the overstuffed furniture and attractive seating in the lounges. Removing the sleepers from the rear of the train has always bothered me as well. I remember the sign in the pullman hall that said how many years it had been since they had a fatality in a pullman car. It was quite a few and most likely partly due to location of the sleeper away from the front of the train.

Amtrak could have a marketing group take over the schedules, selling major hotel chains space, rental car chains, etc. Put a code in the ads the caller could use for a small discount to track ad usage. Congress might object to this because Amtrak would be doing something to make passengers happy.

I wonder if any old-time attendants provide some of that service on their own....such as putting an Andes chocolate mint on the pillows, etc.?

And if the Company disapproves such enterprising actions, as it would make the services rendered overall more inconsistent?
I had a wonderful SCA on #28, the eastbound EB out of Portland that did trivia games with her own prizes she paid for, coffee served all day, a collection of games that could be borrowed as well as a railroad related lending library. She also took feedback on the box dinners out of PDX which had changed in 11/17 so she could pass comments back to the food provider as well as make recommendations to the passengers. She was really a gem who had worked that route and sleeping car for many years. She was even trying to set up a trivia competition between the SEA sleepers and the PDX sleepers. I wonder if she ever got that worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

That sounds like the wonderful SCA that I had on the westbound Empire Builder in early October last year. I don't remember her name. (Unfortunately, my travel log from that trip was lost in a CA wildfire.) I believe she said that she was about to retire. Such a loss! She was exceptional!

That sounds like the wonderful SCA that I had on the westbound Empire Builder in early October last year. I don't remember her name. (Unfortunately, my travel log from that trip was lost in a CA wildfire.) I believe she said that she was about to retire. Such a loss! She was exceptional!
Stephanie was the name of my SCA and she had been on the job for 28+ years. I just remembered that I had my circular cross county travel notes on my phone that I was going to publish and forgot about. I’m so sorry to hear about your losses in a CA wildfire.

Thank you, Chuck! Yes, Stephanie was her name. I don't know why I didn't remember that.

I am enjoying a calendar that I won in her trivia game... movies with trains. I happily found that calendar in the stuff that I hurridly packed before I evacuated.

Stephanie was unique. I will miss seeing her on my EB trip this fall.

Thank you, Chuck! Yes, Stephanie was her name. I don't know why I didn't remember that.

I am enjoying a calendar that I won in her trivia game... movies with trains. I happily found that calendar in the stuff that I hurridly packed before I evacuated.

Stephanie was unique. I will miss seeing her on my EB trip this fall.
Our trivia game was songs about the railroad [emoji577][emoji446]

With all of those trivia games, she sounds like she was trained by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, rather than Amtrak....
default_biggrin.png

I had Stephanie as my SCA on my eastbound EB on the way home from the Gathering, and she was wonderful!

She was a huge Cubs fan, and she had a well-deserved treat waiting for her at the end of her trip--a few days off and a chance to watch her beloved Cubs as they got closer and closer to winning the World Series.

I have mixed feelings about the good veteran SCAs retiring. I will miss them, of course. But I'm glad for them that they are getting out before things get even worse and they are told to not do anything nice for the passengers.

The veteran SCAs do seem to be fading away. It is a different generation with a different view of the job, a totally different work ethic, that is replacing them.
On my recent westward leg on the CZ my TA-SC was Jason, a young man.

I don't know how long Jason has been with Amtrak but at one point he did mention that he mostly worked on the CZ.

I took that to mean he was still 'on the board'.

For me Jason was the best TA-SC I have had so far.

Jason had a great work ethic and was very attentive and service oriented towards his passengers.

There are a some great kids out there that were brought up with a super work ethic. Both my son (CEO), and my daughter (Charge RN) have told me they get frustrated with the work ethic of this generation. My daughter in particular is very demanding of her team, thus many of the newer nurses avoid her shifts, but those who work hard like her team because it is regularly ranked number one in Customer Satisfaction.

I remember getting a small folder with an Amtrak picture postcard and some Amtrak stationary, in the Sleeper of Broadway Limited circa early '80s. Of course that also came with a small bottle of wine and a small cheese and cracker pack as welcome on the Sleeper upon boarding at New York.
Yeah, I remember that period. Amtrak went through a little phase of really trying to put the first class in first class, with a Chief of Onboard Services who catered mostly to the sleeping car passengers and the diner.

Things like maps, timetables, and route guides don't have to cost Amtrak anything, if they would include travel related, or otherwise, advertising. As a matter of fact, Amtrak doesn't even have to produce them....there are outside media companies that specialize in that business, and all Amtrak would have to do maybe, is approve their content, prior to production or distribution.

Amtrak could have a marketing group take over the schedules, selling major hotel chains space, rental car chains, etc. Put a code in the ads the caller could use for a small discount to track ad usage. Congress might object to this because Amtrak would be doing something to make passengers happy.
I agree with the advertising. Probably put ads for the airlines like "Fly with us. If we're late you just sit in a tight seat with overflowing bathrooms and no standing up". "We care about our customers - unless you're the one we beat up". "Free meals for first class. The rest of you can starve to death on some peanuts".

Back