Altoona on the Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Traveler

Service Attendant
We are going to take our three-and-a-half year-old granddaughter for her first train ride from Pittsburgh to Altoona this summer. We can go and come back the same day, but we are going to stay overnight and come back the next day. She loves trains. We know the things to do there. Does anyone have any suggestions for car rentals or the location of the station to the town and hotels? I think I have picked out the hotel, Comfort Suites, as she also loves to stay in hotels with us, and I thought she would get a real kick out of staying in a suite.

If anyone has been there recently, I'd love to hear any suggestions. Thanks!

Dunno about car rentals or hotels, but I can definitely recommend a visit to Texas Hot Dogs at 1122 12th Ave, just two blocks from the Amtrak station.

Thanks! I would be interested in restaurant suggestions, too. I didn't even think of that. My granddaughter is a vegetarian, but she loves french fries!

You'll have to call a hertz or enterprise out there and tell them your arriving on the train. In past experience the rental companies pick you up at the station and bring you to their office to fill out paper work then your on your way..

You'll have to call a hertz or enterprise out there and tell them your arriving on the train. In past experience the rental companies pick you up at the station and bring you to their office to fill out paper work then your on your way..
Thanks. That's just what I was hoping for.

I believe I've seen where there is a Rail Fan Lodge(???) or Rail Fan Spot for great Pix around the loop?
I'll have to check that out. The Railroaders Museum is supposed to be great, although maybe not so much for a three-year-old, although it might have a children's playroom with toy trains, which she would love.

Once I start seriously researching, I will know a lot more. Trip Advisor is my site of choice for that, and I'm an active user and reviewer there.

Horshoe Curve is something to see.

There are two amusement parks near Altoona. Lakemont Park which has Leap the Dips which is the oldest operating roller coaster and the only side friction roller coaster in the US. The other park is Delgrossos (the spagetti sauce company) has a park that is suppose to have great food. These might be good for the 3-1/2 year old.

Our railfan group spends a few weeks every year in the Cresson--Altoona area. We stay at a great B&B called the Station Inn in Cresson. Lots of train action. Helper locomotive shops across the tracks, etc. Horseshoe Curve is down the road a few miles. A must see for railfans. Gallitzin is also a great place to watch trains as they enter the historic tunnels there. Our group many times takes the train from Altoona to Harrisburg--have lunch downtown and catch the westbound Pennsylvanian back to Altoona in the same day. A very scenic ride both ways.

Altoona is home to the former PRR shops and now owned by NS. A nice turntable with plenty of locomotive action. Many places to railfan on both sides of the tracks downtown. Texas Hot Dog place is a classic. If you cant do the dogs, the mac and cheese is pretty good as well. There are some old hotels downtown but many of the chain hotels are located out on I-99, a ways from downtown but certainly not a problem with a rental car.

The Railroaders Historical Museum is very nice and in the nice weather days, there is plenty of old rolling stock to look at on the grounds.

Can also take in an Altoona Curve baseball game when they are in town.

We are set up for the weekend of June 8-9! I made reservations for the suites hotel since I know she would get such a kick out of that. I only have to call a car rental. And with mac and cheese and french fries for her, the hot dog shop sounds great! We will just take the lecture about eating meat. :giggle:

Yes, Hertz will pick you up and drop you off, at least it did seven years ago. EconoLodge not too far away, on main drag with restaurants and eateries. The town turns to mountains unepectedly so a map will be nice to have. Enjoy the trains making music in the amphitheater that is the Horseshoe Curve!

I've been to Altoona and to the railroad museum. It is a very nice museum.

I have also been to the Horseshoe Curve museum which is very nice too.

If you have a car, several of the small towns in the area are interesting from

a railroad perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back