Altoona and Horseshoe Curve

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whooz started a topic over in the Forum Members Gathering section about getting there from California. Related to that trip, I have questions about Altoona. In the interest of keeping all of the info together, could those of you with local knowledge of that area take a look there and respond? Here is the link: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?...st&p=144283. I'm thinking some of our many guests, and also members not going to Boston, might have good input.

Thanks!

I have only been to the rail museum there, unfortunitly I was sick so the time I had there was less than enjoyable. Anyhow, the train station is right across the tracks from the museum. I think there's a overpass to get from the station. Horseshoe Curve is a pretty long drive from there, so no chance of going there (but if you do take the route, you will pass over it two times!). I have to go back there myself...

cpamtfan-Peter

I have only been to the rail museum there, unfortunitly I was sick so the time I had there was less than enjoyable. Anyhow, the train station is right across the tracks from the museum. I think there's a overpass to get from the station. Horseshoe Curve is a pretty long drive from there, so no chance of going there (but if you do take the route, you will pass over it two times!). I have to go back there myself...
cpamtfan-Peter
I'm figuring on car rentals here and there on this trip, including for on-shore viewing of Horseshoe Curve. Have to decide where (what city) to get the car. Thanks for tip re museum.

I'm figuring on car rentals here and there
Think we could grab a Prius or some other hybrid?
Need a work-out? You'll need a hand-power crank, like a see-saw, that propel the small wooden car forward during the 1800s (19th century), before the Hi-railer was invented. I forget what's the name of it.
You're describing a handcar, right?

handcar.jpg

There's a very steep hill to get to the curve itself. I have never been in a hybrid car, but for some reason I don't think it would be a good idea to drive up that hill. I bet it would be a heck of a ride down hill though! It was really cool though at the curve, seeing all the trains pass. They even have the schedule of all the trains due through!

cpamtfan-Peter

There's a very steep hill to get to the curve itself. I have never been in a hybrid car, but for some reason I don't think it would be a good idea to drive up that hill. I bet it would be a heck of a ride down hill though! It was really cool though at the curve, seeing all the trains pass. They even have the schedule of all the trains due through!
cpamtfan-Peter
There are lots of Prius's in California, even in the boonies where I live. Hills are not a problem for them, just uses up the battery faster so they get worse mileage.

But a steep hill? We could taxi up, and I could roll down in my wheelchair! Patrick could hijack a local handcar and carry the luggage.

Peter, can the viewing and the museum downtown (and there are a few other museum-type places) be done in one day between trains (<5 hrs), or would it be better to overnight in Altoona if we can arrange the extra day? This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime detour.

cpamtfan-Peter
If you're super-super-duper lucky, you might see

:)
Actually, I have a question about this. Where is the photographer standing in this video, or rather, how did he get there? Is that spot publicly accessible? I know about the public park in the center of the curve, with the iron fence protecting railfans from the tracks and the Pennsy diesel on display, but I didn't know there was a viewing area outside the curve on the hillside. Or is that not actually a public viewing area, and this photographer was there by special permission (or trespassing)? It's a great vantage point!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're super-super-duper lucky, you might see
Aloha

If I got to see that next stop the tables in Atlantic City.

I suspect the photographers are pros and applied and got permits. Notice also the coordination between the Zoom and the trains position, if not pro's well Coordinated Prepared Amateurs

Patrick could hijack a local handcar and carry the luggage.
I don't hijack. I "commandeer." A handcar sounds kinda strenuous, and I'm notoriously lazy, so maybe a speeder would be a better deal.

"By the power vested in me by myself, I hereby seize this vehicle in the name of National Security. Thank you and have a nice day."

"Wait a minute, get back here. How do I drive this thing?"

I have visited Horseshoe Curve. It is not far (maybe 10 miles) from Altoona. The museum is nice and it's fun watching trains travel around the curve. If you're lucky, you will see the Pennsylvanian. All I saw were freight trains. There are other railroad historical sites in the area. I was driving a car and spent most of the day in and around Altoona. The large museum is adjacent to the train museum and there is an overhead walkway. It will take about 3 hours to tour the museum at a minimum. There is also a candy factory that makes Valomilk candy cups nearby in Altoona.

I have visited Horseshoe Curve. It is not far (maybe 10 miles) from Altoona. The museum is nice and it's fun watching trains travel around the curve. If you're lucky, you will see the Pennsylvanian. All I saw were freight trains. There are other railroad historical sites in the area. I was driving a car and spent most of the day in and around Altoona. The large museum is adjacent to the train museum and there is an overhead walkway. It will take about 3 hours to tour the museum at a minimum. There is also a candy factory that makes Valomilk candy cups nearby in Altoona.
To see the Pennsylvanian, we will need to overnight there or somewhere, instead of just riding it in from Pittsburgh in the morning, and taking it back in the afternoon. So Shanghai, is it worth the extra day? It's beginning to sound like it is.

I had to look up Valomilk, we don't have them out here, sounds pretty interesting so I am making a note to check them out. Thanks!

To see the Pennsylvanian, we will need to overnight there or somewhere, instead of just riding it in from Pittsburgh in the morning, and taking it back in the afternoon. So Shanghai, is it worth the extra day? It's beginning to sound like it is.
Well, if you're going to spend an extra day in the area with a rental car, then head over to the East Broad Top RR (the only narrow gauge steam railway east of the Rockies) and the Rockhill Trolley Museum, right next to each other and only about an hour away from Altoona.

I had to look up Valomilk, we don't have them out here, sounds pretty interesting so I am making a note to check them out. Thanks!

I think it is worth an extra day. You have to really experience Horseshoe Curve, have a picnic, watch some trains. And there's a spectacular view from the curve!

I think there's a park on the other side of the tracks, so that's were he was standing.

cpamtfan-Peter

I found the trip to Horseshoe Curve only about 30 minutes or 45. it is well worth the trip for your first visit. Afterwards, as I have found, you may want to visit again but at times their is a long delay at times for freights to come around the curve.

Billvas

cpamtfan-Peter
I'm figuring on car rentals here and there on this trip, including for on-shore viewing of Horseshoe Curve. Have to decide where (what city) to get the car. Thanks for tip re museum.

If I someday wanted to do a westbound BOS to CHI trip via spending a day in the Altoona area, what times of year (if any) would the westbound Pennsylvanian be likely to go through the horseshoe curve in daylight?

(I'm not enthusiastic about the time of day for the eastbound Capitol Limited to Pennsylvanian transfer. Then again, the time of day departing BOS to catch a same-day Pennsylvanian also has limited appeal, so maybe I'd need to invent an excuse to spend most of a day somewhere between Boston and Altoona, too.)

If I someday wanted to do a westbound BOS to CHI trip via spending a day in the Altoona area, what times of year (if any) would the westbound Pennsylvanian be likely to go through the horseshoe curve in daylight?
(I'm not enthusiastic about the time of day for the eastbound Capitol Limited to Pennsylvanian transfer. Then again, the time of day departing BOS to catch a same-day Pennsylvanian also has limited appeal, so maybe I'd need to invent an excuse to spend most of a day somewhere between Boston and Altoona, too.)

The eastbound Pennsy's always goes through the curve in daylight (every day of the year. But the westbound is better in the summer months.

cpamtfan-Peter

Hmmm. Don't like 2 hours in Pittsburgh at 5:30am after riding a train all night?! I'm figuring on a couple hours napping in the sun on a park bench at Horseshoe Curve between trains. Of course, I'm probably dreaming about both "warm" and "sun" in late October, especially by California standards ...

(I'm putting times in for other readers) WB Altoona is 5:06pm, so you wouldn't have much daylight time anyway by the time you got up to Horseshoe Curve. That is why I'm looking at starting from Pittsburgh (9:49am EB through Altoona, 6 hrs later on Sundays). Everybody here seems to think it is worth getting off the train. These guys have the most info: http://www.railroadcity.com/, and also special events. One of their excursions might tie in to your trip nicely.

If you make it up before October, can you pass on useful tips in your trip report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back